Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #81
Bevosss
Human being with feelings

It won't work for midi notes as there's no marker actions in the midi editor, and the inline editor doesn't have note navigation like the midi editor.

Try it the way I suggested, pasting a click sample (audio item!) as you play through...that will work at least.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #82
JHughes
Banned

LOL OK, I understand you now. I've converted to audio using My Drum Kit, and I'll try again and report my results. Thanks for your patience.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #83
Bevosss

Default Program for tempo mapping using MIDI notes

Hey J Hughes

I made a little program so you can do it with midi notes.

I set a shortcut (keypad 5) to activate the main window, drop a marker, and reactivate the midi take window.

I also made a reaper shortcut (keypad . ) that will move along and select the next midi note, moving the edit cursor along with it.

Just download and unrar, import the reaperkeymap in the actions window.

Doubleclick the exe to start it, a 'T' icon will appear in the tray bottom right corner.

Select a midi note and position,

then use number (5) on the keypad to drop a marker,

and use keypad (.) (period/fullstop) to select the next note, moving the edit cursor with it.

So, you should be able to alternate between (5) and (.) and move along real fast.

Working here at least!

DOWNLOAD
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #84
JHughes
Banned

Awesome, I don't know how you did it, but I'll let you know how it works for me, I'm sure it will work great. (It's late and I'm afraid to get started tonight. )

Incidentally, I tried my midi click track on another PC, and of course the timing was off due to different latencies. It was easily correctable by nudging the track because the inter-note relationships were still perfect. If I was using a VSTi instead of the MS GS synth it might be more accurate between machines but I haven't tried it.

Because of these midi timing issues, I think your suggestion to insert individual audio samples must be the more accurate way. Unfortunately, since I didn't insert samples, but rendered the track instead, I think I'm going to have to split my audio track into sections because I created one long file instead of a string of individual samples. It's important to learn how though because I have to do it on more songs later. When I'm finished I'll know how to do this process with both midi and audio!

Using a DAW means quite the learning curve doesn't it? lol
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #85
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Unfortunately, since I didn't insert samples, but rendered the track instead, I think I'm going to have to split my audio track into sections because I created one long file instead of a string of individual samples.
The easy way is, right click on the audio item-item processing-dynamic split selected items...move the slider until the splits are correct with the appropriate tail/inserted silence.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #86
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post

Incidentally, I tried my midi click track on another PC, and of course the timing was off due to different latencies. It was easily correctable by nudging the track because the inter-note relationships were still perfect. If I was using a VSTi instead of the MS GS synth it might be more accurate between machines but I haven't tried it.

Because of these midi timing issues, I think your suggestion to insert individual audio samples must be the more accurate way.
You could also drop markers as you go, then macro together:

Markers: Next marker/project end
Item: Paste items/tracks

then delete the markers, move your clicks until happy, insert markers to selected items

Depends what is the most accurate latency-wise I guess...
Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #87
KMan

Default Hah?

I'm pretty new to this, so forgive me if my questions are too basic (I HAVE read the User's Guide, though).

I'm working on a project that so far only has a guide track of the original song and a click track. The song, an orchestral piece, changes tempo frequently, and my goal is to align the grid and click with the guide track using tempo mapping. I gave up on manually creating the tempo map because it seemed every tempo change I added required me to go back and adjust previous markers. I have the "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" option enabled, but it also affects tempo in previous measures and doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.

I've followed this thread with interest, especially because of the post I've quoted below, but I just don't get it:

1. Is there no longer a macro function in Reaper? Do you have to manually type '0 1 Enter 4 3' for every selection?

2. I've imported several of the keymaps. Some appear incomplete, but the last one I tried looked promising; it added this to the Actions list:

Num 0 Custom: EXTEND SELECTION TO TRANSIENTS
Enter Custom: PLAY SELECTION
Num 1 Custom: SELECT BACK ONE TRANSIENT
Num 3 Custom: SHIFT SELECTION RIGHT ONE BAR
Num 4 Custom: TEMPO MAP CURRENT TIME SIGNATURE
Num 6 Custom: TEMPO MAP NEW TIME SIGNATURE

When I hit 0, 1, Enter, a selection is created and played in a loop (not sure why playing is required), but the correct transient is not found, no matter how high I set the Tab to Transient sensitivity. When I hit 4, it of course throws the tempo for the entire song way off. Is this just not going to do what I'm trying to make it do? Am I stuck with manually adding markers as the guide track plays, then converting them to tempo changes?

Any input appreciated,
KMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
I've made a Tempo Mapping Keymap for fast mapping, that doesn't use markers (although you're able to drop them throughout first for visual clues, they won't interfere.)

Import the keymap (Shift-/, then hit Import), the only keys affected are the Keypad. They are:

ZERO - Extend Selection to Next Transient

ONE - Select Back One Transient

THREE - Shift Selection Right One Bar

FOUR - Tempo Map Current Time Signature

SIX - Tempo Map New Time Signature

ENTER - Play Selection

A. I use ZERO and ONE to extend the selection to the required bar, and hit ENTER to play the selection (I have repeat on in the transport for easy checking).

B. Then I hit FOUR to create a tempo-mapped measure, or SIX if it's a new time signature

C. Finally I hit THREE, to move the selection over one bar.

D. I then repeat, using ZERO & ONE to trim the selection to the correct transient.

It's very fast and doesn't require much finger movement or impact on your own keymap much.

Hope this works out for you all! Enjoy!

*7 and 9 are mapped to next/previous bar as well (4/4 only).

**One last thing...set your Timebase to Time in Project Properties, or it won't work properly ...you can change it once the mapping is complete.

EDIT: here is an updated keymap, see the following post:

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/64578/B...E.ReaperKeyMap
KMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #88
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMan View Post
The song, an orchestral piece, changes tempo frequently, and my goal is to align the grid and click with the guide track using tempo mapping.
Are you trying to align Reaper's internal click with the music, or the mentioned click track?

Quote:
I have the "Gradually transition tempo to next marker" option enabled, but it also affects tempo in previous measures and doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.
That only works for midi...also the timebase in project properties should be set to 'Time' or you'll get weird behaviour when mapping.

Quote:
I've followed this thread with interest, especially because of the post I've quoted below, but I just don't get it:

1. Is there no longer a macro function in Reaper? Do you have to manually type '0 1 Enter 4 3' for every selection?
Macros can be built/imported in the actions window, hit the (?) key (or shift-/) to access it.

Quote:
2. I've imported several of the keymaps. Some appear incomplete, but the last one I tried looked promising; it added this to the Actions list:

Num 0 Custom: EXTEND SELECTION TO TRANSIENTS
Enter Custom: PLAY SELECTION
Num 1 Custom: SELECT BACK ONE TRANSIENT
Num 3 Custom: SHIFT SELECTION RIGHT ONE BAR
Num 4 Custom: TEMPO MAP CURRENT TIME SIGNATURE
Num 6 Custom: TEMPO MAP NEW TIME SIGNATURE

When I hit 0, 1, Enter, a selection is created and played in a loop (not sure why playing is required), but the correct transient is not found, no matter how high I set the Tab to Transient sensitivity. When I hit 4, it of course throws the tempo for the entire song way off. Is this just not going to do what I'm trying to make it do? Am I stuck with manually adding markers as the guide track plays, then converting them to tempo changes?
I think dropping markers on a run through and then editing them is the fastest way for a single time signature piece, however you can manually do it for changing sigs, and you can use that keymap mentioned. Do it like this:

Place a marker at the start, I'd recommend removing any space there before it iirc.

Hit Numpad0 to extend the selection to a measure, hit Numpad1 to select back one transient point...when it looks right, hit keypad Enter to play the selection looped, this will check it's a correct length.

Zoom will affect the transient detection, also so will the slider. Sometimes still Reaper doesn't detect the correct transient for some reason, if so, manually place the edit cursor on it while pressing Shift to extend the selection, or you can use the default actions Ctrl-Alt-(,) and Ctrl-Alt-(.) to nudge the right edge to the correct place.

Then hit either 4 to tempo map the current time signature (I'd set the project properties to the starting signature), or hit 6 to write in a new time signature.

Then rinse and repeat...press 3 to move the whole time selection right, then adjust the right edge of the selection to suit using 0 and 1, or the mentioned nudge actions.

Remember, set project properties to 'Time' and the starting time signature as the first encountered. The whole tutorial was regarding audio, so if you are using midi, then that may not work as expected...there's some posts way back explaining that problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bevosss; 06-13-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #89
KMan

Thanks for the quick response, Bevosss! To address your questions:

I started the project (all audio, no midi) by recording the guide track. I then placed a few markers on the first beat of the first few measures and used those to set the tempo and time signature (which is 5/4, if that makes any difference). So this gave me a grid that was aligned with the first several measures of the guide track. Then I found where you can insert a click source and created a new track with a click on every beat. When I play it, the click is right with the guide track at first, but soon the tempo of the song varies just a little and the click becomes out of sync. I found that I could insert a tempo marker to get the click track back in sync with the music for a few measures, then repeat when the click starts to deviate again, etc.

So I'm not using the metronome, but I guess I'm trying to align Reaper's internal click, via the grid-aligned click track, with the music. Oh, and the time signature doesn't change from 5/4 (as far as I can tell), only the tempo. There's a section where the tempo is much slower than the majority of the song and eventually builds up again.

I have the project time base set as Time, and I think I've got the other pertinent options set correctly.

1. I see now how to create a macro; I was confused before because there was no one-key macro action defined in your keymap, just the individual actions.

2. The actions in the keymap I've listed don't seem to work the way you describe:

Hitting 0 doesn't extend the selection to the next measure, but to some seemingly arbitrary point in measure 3. I must tell you that there are no real "hard" transients in the beginning and the volume level is very low. Perhaps I need to copy the guide track and compress/normalize it to get bigger peaks?

Hitting 1 appears to do nothing. But I think I'm starting to understand what it's trying to do, from your explanation.

I'm not exactly sure yet how all these actions work, but tell me if this sequence sounds right, assuming I can get it to detect a transient near the start of each measure:

1. Time Selection: Set start point
2. Move cursor to start of next measure
3. Move cursor back one beat
4. Time Selection: Set end point
5. Time Selection: Extend time selection to next transient in selected items
6. (Check for correct cursor position somehow and adjust?)
7. Create measure from time selection (detect tempo).

I will experiment with this, now that I know how to create actions and macros. I still think it's going to take awhile, just because of the nature of the song's transients and tempo changes. Ideally, I'd like to come up with something that will let me zip through the song and end up with MOST of the "beat 1" gridlines aligned with the guide track.

One more question: If "Gradually transition tempo..." is only for midi, how do you prevent a sudden tempo shift when the song gradually speeds up a little? I'm guessing by inserting points into the master track tempo map envelope?

I really appreciate your help with this; I feel like I've made a breakthrough. I test software for a living, and this is I think the most complicated application I've ever seen! Bugs and all, it amazes me how well it does work. Thanks, Bevosss.
KMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #90
BigFella

Default R3.11 - This is genius

I couldn't get the scheme to operate in 3.11 but with your crystal clear instructions I braved the Macro section. I've never used macros before... I like it.

This opens up the world to me and my Micro Br.

This (should) replace the third element of the process.

I've been messing with your other methods. Nice. This is fantastically flexible.

Cheers Bevosss.
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap TempoMap3.ReaperKeyMap (135 Bytes, 468 views)
BigFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #91
BigFella

Default Mmm...

I've just been wrestling with the 'Reason overrides Reaper tempo' problem which has particular significance when using a tempo map (Reason opens with the cursor wherever is was saved, and writes an appropriate tempo marker to Reaper). I've been experimenting with a 'quit' macro in Reaper which returns to the beginning before saving and quitting, thereby ensuring that Reason saves with the cursor at the beginning so it opens that way and avoids the problem.

I'm really just using Reason as a sound source so it's tempting to open a general file with the various elements ready hooked up. The problem with this has been that Reason then imposes the default tempo value onto the Reaper song. If I save the Reason song on 'quit' (in my project folder) then the Reaper tempo is saved to the Reason song.

If anyone can think of a more elegant way to do this (there's got to be one) I'd love to see it.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #92
NoneOfTheAbove

Hey guys, new user drifting in via Rock Band Creators.

First of all, thanks. I find this way a ton easier than the method suggested by Harmonix, especially when I only have one audio track for the whole song.

I just have two problems. First of all, what do you do with any time before the first beat? I don't want to edit the audio file, because then my MIDI file won't sync with other people's audio tracks.

Second problem is more annoying. For some reason, after I hold down ` to put in tempo marks for the whole song, it comes out skipping part of bars 3 and 4. The bar numbering goes 3.1, 3.2, 4.2. It horribly confused me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
NoneOfTheAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #93
BigFella

Hi, NOTA.

I'm assuming your audio file is starting at 'zero'. If you place a marker on 'zero' then another on the first beat Reaper will calculate the tempo between them at a different value from the music itself. This will map the project to the song while you work on it but won't affect the exported audio. Does that address the point?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #94
Renan L.B

Haven't read through all the thread yet (which i'm going to do next) only the tempo mapping tutorial but gotta say I LOVE IT. It's so frickin sweet, quick and easy to tempo map on REAPER

I also had an idea and i'm using my controller (korg padkontrol) for tempo mapping and freeing up more keys in the keyboard for shortcuts/macros. For those who own this machine or a similar one here's what i did following Bevosss instructions (with a little extras) in case someone is interested:

There are 16 Pads and they are numbered in sequence top to bottom from Top Left to Bottom Right. I created a new Scene (Scene 16) on my controller and edited all pads to work with MIDI CC's and not NOTES (which can be done pretty easily with the Padkontrol Editor Librarian, similar to M-audio Enigma) This way i can use the pads to control actions/macros or other stuff on REAPER.

Here is my configuration:

Pad 01 Go back one measure
Pad 02 Go forward one measure
Pad 03 Go back one beat
Pad 04 Go forward one beat
Pad 05 Markers: Go To Previous Marker/Project Start
Pad 06 Markers: Go to Next Marker/Project End
Pad 07 Move cursor to previous transient in selected items
Pad 08 Move cursor to next transient in selected items
Pad 09 Nudge Marker under cursor left
Pad 10 Nudge Marker under cursor right
Pad 11 Deleter Marker near cursor
Pad 12 Go to Start of Project
Pad 13 Zoom Out Horizontal
Pad 14 Zoom In Horizontal
Pad 15 Insert Marker at current position
Pad 16 Transport: Play/Stop

Pratically, i can do the whole thing keyboard/mouse free, it's amazing! (except for Part 3 because i ran out of pads! I could use a knob instead but it "feels" so wrong for a Macro, LOL!)

Loads of fun!

Last edited by Renan L.B; 12-18-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Renan L.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #95
kristen

Default Matching tempo to song recorded without click: What is newest tempo mapping Macro?

I haven't tried the tempo mapping tutorial for quite a few different versions of Reaper, can someone list the newest set of actions for this macro that are included in Reaper v 3.13.

thanks
superkristen

Technology has given us the ability to repeat all our mistakes we have learned from history, …. but much faster, deadlier, and with greater accuracy!

KAB (superkristen)
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #96
beemovietheband

Default HELP!

I'm trying to do a song that not only changes time signatures, but was not recorded with a click. I've gone through the entire song and put a marker on every (one) beat. How do i use those markers to tempo map it? I'm trying to follow these 3 steps and i just dont understand the 3rd step. And after i finally get that how do i decide what parts of the songs are in what time signatures?

Sorry if this is kind of basic but i can't seem to figure it out.
Thanks in advance!

P.s. - if anyone would like to listen to the actual song im doing.

Www.myspace.com/beemovietheband
The song is tanks of gold
beemovietheband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #97
naythinjuromeh

to any one who has figured out how to tempo map with multi time sigs,

could you please post a video tutorial?

i am finding it really difficult to understand.
naythinjuromeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #98
jezkemp

Default Lock midi items to tempo (and change tempo)

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but thought it would be a good start!

Very simple query. I have recorded a track at 116bpm with midi drums, but now I want to change it to 118/120bpm for recording guitars etc.

I've spent several days working out the drums so it'd be great if I could somehow lock them to the tempo, then change the tempo, without having to go over every section.

I'm hoping it's something very simple but all I could find was stuff on quantising audio items. Which you'd think would be more difficult than midi!

Thanks in advance for your help
jezkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #99
BigFella

Default @ jezkemp

Go to project settings (alt - enter)

tab - project settings

set "timebase for items/envelopes/markers to: Beats (position only)

Hit OK

change tempo either by inserting a tempo marker or going back to project settings and doing it at "project BPM"
Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #100
BigFella

Default @ beemovie

Nice stuff.

I think the last step you describe is the first one you need to address. First listening would suggest your main bit is (as far as Reaper is concerned) in 5/4. The vocal bits without the kit are in 6/4 (with a swing). This is not strictly true but this is not a music theory class so we'll go with it. Once you've dropped your "1" markers just tap on the table along with the song all the way through. My way is to start with little finger and work across to thumb (if t/s = 5/4). It saves keeping count.

There is a little bit effort involved in tempo mapping with varying time signatures but, having just downloaded an update I'll have a mess with it before commenting further to ensure anything I say is up to date.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #101
jnastic

Thanks Bevosss. It works like magic.
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #102
keys

stupid question really, but i've been recording midi items by playing along with an audio track.
I used the procedure in the OP and all is good. Now i want to remove the audio track and start mixing adding fx etc. to the midi vst's.
How do i remove all the markers and tempo markers (the song is roughly the same tempo throughout.)

Will the midi items simply lock to the last tempo setting (i.e. at the start)?

I'm getting some kind of slipping when i manually delete the tempo marks.

sorry for being stupid, its the first time i've done this.
keys
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #103
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys View Post
stupid question really, but i've been recording midi items by playing along with an audio track.
I used the procedure in the OP and all is good. Now i want to remove the audio track and start mixing adding fx etc. to the midi vst's.
How do i remove all the markers and tempo markers (the song is roughly the same tempo throughout.)

Will the midi items simply lock to the last tempo setting (i.e. at the start)?

I'm getting some kind of slipping when i manually delete the tempo marks.

sorry for being stupid, its the first time i've done this.
keys
Well I dont know too much about midi items and tempo markers, but you could try setting the timebase in project properties to beats before deleting the tempo.

Removing the markers is easy, time select the whole area and right click up the top in the ruler, select Remove all markers from time selection.

Removing tempo markers at once is slightly more complex (shouldnt be, but I guess its still unfinished):

Show the master track (Ctrl-Alt-M) click the envelope button, and show the envelope for tempo map. Then click on one of the points to select it, right click and Select all Points, then Delete Selected Points...the tempo markers should all vanish now.

Probably a faster way but thats one way that works at least.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #104
keys

Quote:
Well I dont know too much about midi items and tempo markers, but you could try setting the timebase in project properties to beats before deleting the tempo.

Removing the markers is easy, time select the whole area and right click up the top in the ruler, select Remove all markers from time selection.

Removing tempo markers at once is slightly more complex (shouldnt be, but I guess its still unfinished):

Show the master track (Ctrl-Alt-M) click the envelope button, and show the envelope for tempo map. Then click on one of the points to select it, right click and Select all Points, then Delete Selected Points...the tempo markers should all vanish now.

Probably a faster way but thats one way that works at least.
Thankyou Bevosss, I will try that.
keys.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #105
cockOHS

Effin A! Why did I only read this now! I took 4 days trying to tempo map a show in logic! Carpal tunnel, back aches, pulling hair, face palms- all couldve been avoided.
cockOHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #106
cockOHS

but i can't to make it seem to work. i'm on a mac so i don't know if that's the reason i can't find Markers: time signature from time selection. the closest i get is insert time signature/tempo change marker at edit cursor OR create measure from time selection. and when i used the latter the session's audio didn't play back. all i got is a bull horn sound but i never made that macro.
cockOHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #107
G-Sun

I need to tempomap,
and I don't get it to work. It's step #3.
Is it Custom Actions with assigned shortcut?
Some actions are changed aren't they?

My action is like this:
Code:
                  : Time selection: Set start point
                  : Markers: Go to next marker/project end
                  : Time selection: Set end point
                  : Markers: Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)
                  : Markers: Go to next marker/project end
Tried with different timebase. Some success. My markers were on half-measures -so doubled the next-actions.
Does this work with midi-content?

Ok, set midi-items > property > Ignore project tempo > "Recorded tempo" - Success

Last edited by G-Sun; 01-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #108
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockOHS View Post
but i can't to make it seem to work. i'm on a mac so i don't know if that's the reason i can't find Markers: time signature from time selection. the closest i get is insert time signature/tempo change marker at edit cursor OR create measure from time selection. and when i used the latter the session's audio didn't play back. all i got is a bull horn sound but i never made that macro.
Just saw this. Sorry, it changed ages ago.

The action you want is:

Markers:Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)

Probably too late by now...
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #109
nofish

Quote:
Just saw this. Sorry, it changed ages ago.

The action you want is:

Markers:Create measure from time selection (detect tempo)

Probably too late by now...
Hey Bevosss, if you get around to it maybe updating your 1st post in this thread about it is a good idea.

I still link to this thread when tempo mapping comes up as topic and I've seen this question about the renamed action pop up several times.
Just saying.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #110
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hey Bevosss, if you get around to it maybe updating your 1st post in this thread about it is a good idea.

I still link to this thread when tempo mapping comes up as topic and I've seen this question about the renamed action pop up several times.
Just saying.
Done! Thanks for the tip.

I'll redo the keymaps when I have some time also.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #111
rhythminmind

When I try to use this method,
Everything shifts after the 1st "set measure" & the markers are then irrelevant.
I've tried it with both Project Timeline & Time based track modes.
Whats the trick?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #112
rhythminmind

Solved: Project settings - marker timebase

Last edited by rhythminmind; 01-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.
rhythminmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #113
beingmf

I'm not successful at this. Please have a look to the screen capture:

This is my macro:

I inserted "Move edit cursor back one beat" because I hoped to solve the problem that way. It doesn't have any influence at all, unfortunately.

rhythminmind: what do you mean with "Solved: Project settings - marker timebase"? No matter what setting I use, the macro just won't select the marker-to-marker area!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #114
beingmf

Hell – when I'm listening to the result of my manual tempo mapping (create markers every 2 beats and manually have Reaper create the tempo according to the time selection), it is not correct!? The downbeats are perfectly on the spot, but the Midi item (some simple drum computer one shot samples) is not synced in some places!?!?!? I have no clue why it doesn't work either way!?

Last edited by beingmf; 02-09-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #115
rhythminmind

Check your
-Project settings -> Project settings -> Timebase for items = Time
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #116
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
Check your
-Project settings -> Project settings -> Timebase for items = Time
But it IS set to "Time".

Oh man – I accepted an "edit" job, and now I see that I can't sync the Midi tempo to the original song. I don't want to timestretch bar by bar, cuase I don't like the sound, but maybe it's the only solution within this timeframe... Apart from that: I've already played the bass to the original tracks, trusting in the "tempo mapping" solution. Oh oh oh oh (oh)...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #117
beingmf

It seems I have a severe problem with "Time Selection". This scenario:

- fixed tempo
- split the audio track item every 2 beats
- create a time selection of 2 beats (above the first item part)
- run this macro: "Move and stretch items to fit time selection" - "Time Selection: Shift right by time selection length"
- select the next part of the split item
- run the macro again
- - - and so on...

will lead to continually shorter pieces, because the time selection won't keep the same length!?!?!? I give up. I ran out of ideas. If anybody is able to help. please do so! I'm about to jump back to Logic (only partly a joke!)

Here, after 3 of the above actions only, you can see 2 things: "nudged" time selection is only 0.1.75 beats long, and a shadow in the left area of the left selected item (like it isn't selected within the time selection). It's not an overlap! This will happen to the right item as well, as soon as it's time stretched again.
The fifth time selection length is 0.1.50, the 20th is 0.1.25, and the 26th 0.1.00

Last edited by beingmf; 02-09-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #118
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Hell – when I'm listening to the result of my manual tempo mapping (create markers every 2 beats and manually have Reaper create the tempo according to the time selection), it is not correct!? The downbeats are perfectly on the spot, but the Midi item (some simple drum computer one shot samples) is not synced in some places!?!?!? I have no clue why it doesn't work either way!?
Im sorry i just saw this,and i dont know if it will help, but I have found the only way for midi items NOT to change tempos is to go into every midi item properties and select ignore tempo.Setting the midi items timebase to Time does not work.

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #119
Akustic

Default I am in major need of HELP!

Hi:

I not a newbie but I'm defintely not a techie. I like to record guitar and vocals on my Zoom H2 and then download them to Reaper to clean them up. Great so far.

Then I decided I wanted to add some drums into the mix..My oh my what a headache.

When I play, I'm freestyle. Timing at a set tempo just isn't something I do well. So, obviously getting EZ Drummer to match up to my song just isn't working so hot. I need help. In reading Temp 101 I saw the promise of being able to match a midi drummer with the right tempo to my song.

I even tried it. I went to page 173 of the Up and Running Reaper guide, section 8.11.4 Beat correction and foolowed the approach. Doing that set markers at the transients in my song. In many cases the space between the transients was very small (i.e. a beat or less).

And the bpm's wer all over the place, some of them into the low thousands (1048 bpm), while others were 185bpm for example.

Nonetheless, I thought that EZ drummer midi files would match to the tempo and the bpm mapping and make m song sound great!

Wrong wrong wrong...

So, I'm back at square one. Any suggstions to help me get this right would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Akustic
Akustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #120
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akustic View Post
Hi:

I not a newbie but I'm defintely not a techie. I like to record guitar and vocals on my Zoom H2 and then download them to Reaper to clean them up. Great so far.

Then I decided I wanted to add some drums into the mix..My oh my what a headache.

When I play, I'm freestyle. Timing at a set tempo just isn't something I do well. So, obviously getting EZ Drummer to match up to my song just isn't working so hot. I need help. In reading Temp 101 I saw the promise of being able to match a midi drummer with the right tempo to my song.

I even tried it. I went to page 173 of the Up and Running Reaper guide, section 8.11.4 Beat correction and foolowed the approach. Doing that set markers at the transients in my song. In many cases the space between the transients was very small (i.e. a beat or less).

And the bpm's wer all over the place, some of them into the low thousands (1048 bpm), while others were 185bpm for example.

Nonetheless, I thought that EZ drummer midi files would match to the tempo and the bpm mapping and make m song sound great!

Wrong wrong wrong...

So, I'm back at square one. Any suggstions to help me get this right would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Akustic
Hi Akustic
Even though this tread intends to make what you're up to easy, I'd say it's really not. I use the Tempo-mapping here only to get a rough idea regarding tempo, then starting at scratch laying tempo and drums as basic.
If you still will go this route, here's my advice:
Bpm: Normally you should be between 50 and 160bpm, otherwise you have put your markers on half/quarter -and not on whole measure. You can adjust your macro to fit though.
Else, for a song with many tempo-changes/ freestyle, you would need to adjust tempo many places. You'll just need to start from the beginning and work your way until the end, placing markers on whole, half and quarter-measures, and maybe some other places. Do not tweak tempo-markers towards the end first, as Reaper still has a time-base-bug regarding tempo-markers.
If you'll use transients for your tempo-mapping, I think that only works for kick-drum, or similar audio.

Good luck!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote