Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire : Reaper as master, Sibelius as slave with midi send

I owed this since my very first post, so I´ll put here some instructions regarding the rewire between Reaper as master and Sibelius as slave – that is, to have a wonderful playback mixer for Sibelius´scoring - . I hope it will be clear enough, since english is not my native tongue...

These instructions are based on Sibelius 7. You need LoopBe30 installed for this (or LoopBe1, if that´s enough for your needs), by the way. At least with LoopBe30, I strongly suggest to disable the "Shortcut detection" option, because it creates a lot of troubles.

EDIT : I´ve been using loopMIDI as a virtual port instead of LoopBe and up until now I can confirm that it performs very nicely and it´s very easy to use. What will also be appealing to many is that its free! (I´ll donate for sure after testing it thouroughly) You simply install it and the first time you run it you can create the ports you need with the "+" or "-" buttons in the bottom of its window. By right-clicking on its icon in the OS taskbar you can define if you want it to autostart when you turn on the machine or run it every time you´ll use it. It doesn´t seem to have a shortcut detection option, but I don´t think it needs it (as I said above, I always have it disabled in LoopBe, anyway). In all other respects, it is used just the same as I describe in this instructions.

Excuse me if I post some obvious images and instructions, but I´d like to address this to a wide range of users, including the newbies.

In Reaper :

1)Create a track, arm it for recording (this is really important to have both apps in sync) and choose "ReWire : Sibelius" in the FX Chain. Right click on the track and go to "Track performance options". Right there, disable media buffering and anticipative FX, since this track will be solely dedicated to sync both programs.

In Sibelius[/B]

2) First of all, make sure that when the transport bar is visible, you see the Rewire icon in it, just like this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5l34izy8q...ire%20icon.jpg

3) To avoid any possibility of an infinite loop, go to File – Preferences and disable your active ports as input devices (unticking the boxes, of course). These instructions are meant to send midi only from Sibelius to Reaper - the most useful way, IMHO -.

4) When you have all the instruments laid out in the score, click in the "Play" tab. In the lowest portion of the ribbon, you´ll see "Setup" with a little arrow. Here is the image, for the newbies :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l40xlhp73q...le%20arrow.jpg

Click in the arrow and you´ll enter in the Playback Devices window :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf1vokipaw...s%20window.jpg

Once there, you have to create a "Configuration", that is, a setup for the playback of your score. I called it "Piano", because I´m explaining this with the excellent Piano One in Reaper as my instrument.

In "Available devices", you´ll see the ports listed. Double click in the one you wish to use – in my case it´s "01. Internal MIDI". You´ll see it appears in the "Active devices" section, just like this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0qulsv65e...%20Devices.jpg

5) Now, go to "Manual Sound Sets". If it´s not already selected, choose the port you have just added. you´ll give a name Make sure that the Sound set option is set to none, and define the number of midi channels that you want to use with the "No Channels" option. I created only one, just for the piano, and named it accordingly. Click on the desired channel , and go to "Sound ID" on the botton left of the window. Type the name of the instrument there (in this case, "piano") and click on "Apply". Take a look at the image, you´ll see something like this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/13o7h2ok98...und%20Sets.jpg

6) Close the Playback Device window and save what you just did. Now open the mixer with shortcut "M". Expand it with the bar icon at the left :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sqfypwgwn...he%20mixer.jpg

You´ll see three rectangles or boxes with green characters in each mixer strip (Our piano has two strips, of course, one for each stave). In the middle box, click and choose the LoopBe port that you configured. In the lowest box, choose the name of your instrument. Reapeat this for the second piano strip – or, in any case, for each instrument strip that you have-. The mouse pointer behaves strangely in Sibelius´s mixer; sometimes you have to click outside of it to be able to do this properly. If you did it as we intended, you should see something like this :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otjundg6g1...he%20mixer.jpg

- Go to Play - Interpretation - Performance - Rewire and check "Tempo track" - this is very important!! In Play - Interpretation - Performance - Style, I also set "Espressivo" and "Rubato" to Meccanico and "Rythmic feel" to Straight. You can then take care of the rythmic and expressive subtleties in Reaper, when you finally export the midi from Sibelius and and work in our DAW with much better resources...

Back in Reaper :

EDIT : After a great deal of work with this workflow, I´ve come to the conclusion that it´s better to have a dedicated track (or various tracks, if you use more than 16 channels in Sibelius) to receive MIDI from Sibelius and send the MIDI stream from that track to the other ones with the virtual instruments. In order to achieve this, I usually do the following :

7) - Create an empty track and set the MIDI input to receive MIDI from Sibelius via the virtual port. In this case, it will be "Input : MIDI" – "01.Internal MIDI" – Channel 1. Arm the track for recording and turn monitoring in, as in this image :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnp5dk55dt...ck%20input.jpg

Then, right-click on the track and go to "Track performance options"; there you can disable media buffering and anticipative FX.

If you have, for example, more than one instrument in your project (the most probable scenario), you can set the MIDI Input track to receive all Channels of the chosen port and create sends to each instrument track (channel 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.)

8) Now, the best part. Create a track for the piano, put your instrument in the FX Chain and set it to receive MIDI from the input track you have just created in the previous step.

And finally, forget about Sibelius´ doubtful VST implementation, and play back as you write in a serious way. I hope this is clear enough and I didn´t miss anything; if you have any doubt, just ask!

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 01-19-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Soli Deo Gloria

Hopi, one more thing : I have never sent neither audio from Sibelius nor midi from Reaper, since I never found those options useful. That´s why these instructions are limited to midi from Sibelius only. It shouldn´t be difficult, though. Try first what I´ve described and then we can explore further options, if you still consider them as valuable.

With midi from Sib to Reaper - via LoopBe -, you can do marvels for sure...

What I never got to work is Copperlan with Sib/Reaper. It always seemed buggy to me. Maybe some experienced user can shed some light...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
hopi

Thank you Soli for all those instructions...

It is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'll give it a try as soon as I can...

Still, here is the thought:

Reaper has no real staff view nor a staff editor for midi.

It is a good start and important for me and others to do what you have shown, that is to send midi from Sib to reaper.

However it would be good to be able to have a way to send midi from reaper to a programs like Sib... so that it would work as an external midi editor and provide a staff or notation tool...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Soli Deo Gloria

Yes, I see your point, above all for those users who improvise with a keyboard/external controller and want to see written what they´ve performed. Well, next week I´ll have more time so I´ll try it and see what I get. I´ll be posting here my results, of course.

The Reaper/Sib connection has many subtleties/intrincacies, I recognize. In my case, once I got used to it, I couldn´t write in any other way.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
hopi

thank you again for your great help... and there is no hurry so whenever it is easy for you.

The issue about a staff view or notation view editor in reaper is an old one and as far as I know there has not been a truly satisfactory solution.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Soli Deo Gloria

I have been testing the midi send from Reaper to Sibelius - that is, the opposite of what I described above -, taking into account Hopi´s suggestion. With a rather complex piano part I couldn´t get any reasonable result, so I would say that if anyone is interested in viewing the score of an improvised performance, is definitely better to do it with the Flexi-time input feature of Sibelius, rewired to Reaper. You can easily enter the notes in Sibelius and listen to the audio in Reaper, even while you record the midi output of its track.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Soli Deo Gloria

There is one more thing I have been researching lately : there are some timing issues that have to be solved if you want to rewire Sibelius as slave and have a tight sync. This can be summarized in the following way :

- Go to Play - Interpretation - Performance - Rewire and check "Tempo track" - this is very important!! In Play - Interpretation - Performance - Style, I also set "Espressivo" and "Rubato" to Meccanico and "Rythmic feel" to Straight. You can then take care of the rythmic and expressive subtleties in Reaper, when you finally export the midi from Sibelius and and work in our DAW with much better resources...

- Follow the steps described in the post above for the rewire setup and enjoy writing!

Well, that´s it! I will be posting any other thing that I consider important to clarify this topic.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 08-10-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
hopi

Soli, I hope it's ok with you. I made a PDF with your instructions and images and it now on the reaper stash here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/19995/REWIR...r%20Master.pdf

I think I got it all right, but if it needs something else, let me know.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Soli Deo Gloria

Oh man, that´s excellent! I´m glad if it can be of help to anyone interested in scoring in Sib with such a wonderful playback mixer as Reaper.

Another topic could be the creation of some kind of "expression maps" - as in Cubase 7 - with Sibelius´ features. Coming soon...

Thank you very much. The stash upload is really a great idea!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
hopi

oh good... well I see it this way... you are doing the real work and I'll be happy to make the pdf's and to amend them.. it's great to have things like that on the stash where they can be gotten easily.

PS Oh something you might like, FastStone Capture... because it lets you get the screen shot you want and then also very cleanly circle or mark or put arrows to or put text notes over your image. Just google for that name.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Soli Deo Gloria

That´s fine! It surely is much better than Windows´Paint!

Thanks again for the cooperation!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
hopi

window Paint... hahaha moosh would be a better name

yeah Fastone Capture is perhaps my most used tool... do look around in it's functions, there are not so obvious things that are VERY useful. Worth it's weight in gold to me, but that's cuz I do a lot of Photoshop work and often need to get a piece of something I can see in a program or off the web, etc.

And... it can really be great to grab, and then annotate things like problems in reaper to post for questions...

that tool and Imageshack rate high in my book
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM   #13
peter5992

Excellent thread, thanks for posting this Soli. I've been noodling around for years trying to integrate Sibelius with Reaper (and Pro Tools). The one big stumble block is and has always been the "two tiered" approach: even though Sibelius and Reaper are synced, you're still working in two different environments. Whatever midi / expression / etc change you make in one program is not automatically translated into the other. The soundsets by Jon Loving have proven to be a great help for getting good playback quality in Sibelius, but to get it really up there you still to export to midi and start over in Reaper.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Soli Deo Gloria

You´re welcome, Peter!

Well, I can understand what you say, but regarding that drawback of rewire, I´d say that you always have to negotiate something...With Cubase, for example, you have an environment where you have MIDI and score tightly integrated, but the score editor in that program has no comparison at all with Sibelius. If one works with shortcuts, it´s not so difficult to get used to export rapidly from one program to the other, in case you want to correct something while you´re already editing in Reaper. In the end, as usual, it´s just a matter of taste, as everything else...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
...You need LoopBe30 installed for this (or LoopBe1, if that´s enough for your needs)...
Can someone elaborate a bit more on if LoopBe1 ("be1") would suffice or if i need LoopBe30 ("be30"), i am trying to understand if be1 is enough for my needs-- because be1 is free and uncrippled but be30 is crippled and costs $20. I am looking to try this to be able to rewrire e.g. 10 or so midi staves/instruments from Sibelius to Reaper.
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
randall7

Trying to get this to work but just as I was about to bash my head against the wall out of frustration I realized LoopBe30 had timed out of its 60 minutes of free use. Sigh. You have to reboot your PC every 60 minutes. Frustrating type of trialware software to be sure. Hard enough to figure this all out and then realize the driver that makes it possible times out, sigh.

EDIT: Just too frustrating for me fighting the 60 minute time limit of LoopBe30 while at the same time trying to figure out the settings and methodologies in both Sibelius and Reaper to make all three work together. I uninstalled LoopBe3 and will just compose with notation in Sibelius as needed then export Sibelius compositions as midi type 2 with all tracks, import that into Reaper/DAW and work from that.

Last edited by randall7; 07-23-2014 at 06:26 AM.
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #17
Soli Deo Gloria

Randall, excuse me for the delay!! Don´t throw the towel; you´ll discard a powerful combo to write music with Sibelius which you can listen to directly in Reaper.

First of all, regarding the LoopBe question, you just need LoopBe30 if you´re going to use more than 16 instruments. If not, you´re fine with LoopBe1.

Regarding the tutorial, what didn´t you understand exactly. I can guide you in this department since I use this succesfully in my daily work. Jus ask me via this thread or pm me and I´ll help with any issue...

I´ve just suscribed to this thread, in order to avoid delays like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #18
randall7

I really do appreciate all the help and the instructions, but I am going to let go of this goal Rewiring Sibelius into Reaper for individual tracks. I contacted a few people at Berklee online about if I need to do this for their Orchestration and Film Composing courses and doing this will not be needed (nor is it done by the instructors when they compose for film/tv using combos of Sibelius and DAWs). I think it would be cool to see it in action (anybody up for making a youtube showing this?) but I am just too pressed for time to figure it out and the timeout of the trial version of LoopBe was so annoying I just gave up.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria

Allright; if you ever want to try it out you know you can count on me for any help!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #20
urednik

Soli and Hopi - thanks to both of you.

I managed to get through the manual, however the played score for french horns is played as a piano now and transposed in a different key. Plus the rhythm is a bit staggering. What would I have done wrong here?

Plus does anyone know how can I set global preferences for Sibelius MIDI to 442Hz?
This is greyed out for me: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/help...pid=3&&guest=1
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #21
Mr. PC

Hey, amazing tutorial, thanks!

I've been using this method, but, 80% of the time when I play back, there is a 1, 2, or 3 bar stutter, or possibly jump [where it plays 3 bars super fast]. In the case of jumps, loopbe30 sometimes mutes the tracks, and often after a jump none of the notes will play back clearly [each note cuts in and out super quickly, like, 20 times per note]. If I want to start a playback, I usually have to start it from 5 bars ahead, where only 1 or two instruments are playing at once.

{edit} if anyone else has this problem, here's my work-around. Firstly, if it's getting really really bad, I go into ReaperPreferences (ctrl P) and change the audio driver (from ASIO, to something, and back to ASIO). Often that will make the playback nice again.
Another option it to change where you start playback from. Usually and 8th or 4rt note ahead of where I wanted is enough to make things play back normally. I've no idea why.

Last edited by Mr. PC; 04-15-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Oddologist

Default Trying to get this working

Hello!

I've been setting this up and I've got it mostly working but I've run in to three problems that I have not been able to figure out.

1. Drum clefs do not work. I can set up any other type of clef and it will translate to Reaper, but the drum clefs do nothing. I'm pretty sure that this is coming from Sibelius because the mixer shows nothing in the instrument box, see picture. I can assign a drum VST in Reaper and send any other clef to it and it will trigger the drums, but then I can't use standard drum notation.

2. The playback becomes very choppy over the course of one to three minutes to the point that it is unlistenable. I've unchecked Anticipative FX in Reaper and I've gone over all the set up steps multiple times. I've got a strong system – eight core processer (AMD), 16 gigs of ram, three hard drives (one for the programs (SSD), one for effects (SSD), the third for recorded sounds (HD)).

3. Start up seems to be buggy. Every second or third time I start it up it won't work. Sometimes I have to restart the computer to get it going. Sometimes Sibelius says it didn't start properly in ReWire mode, I do the “Clean Up” operation, and then I need to restart. Sometimes Reaper says that the ReWire: Sibelius 7.5 plug-in is missing. Sometimes it all starts up and then just won't play. I almost always have trouble with it if it's already been run and I am restarting the programs (without restarting the computer).

If anyone has ideas on how to do this I'd really appreciate it. If I can clarify any point I'm happy to do so.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Mixer.PNG (62.3 KB, 579 views)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #23
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi Oddologist!

Have you followed step by step the instructions posted above? The "Play - Performance - Rewire - Tempo Track" setting in Sibelius is specially important, along with record-arming the track where you´ve put the rewire fx in Reaper (don´t put anything else in that track, and just in case disable also media buffering). Re-check the instructions above and if you want, try the latest v5 pre to see if it helps - a couple of sync issues have been enhanced -.

Whenever Sibelius opens badly, close it and try turning offline/online the rewire fx in Reaper, after that see what happens.

Drum clefs are a limitation inherent to Sibelius; you can even read in their forum about that. I think there was a plugin to deal with that, but anyway I never paid much attention since the kind of work I do with drums certainly requires common staves for a proper playback.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
Oddologist

Soli Deo Gloria,

Thanks for the input. I've gone back through the instructions and it seems like I have done everything correctly. I did download the Pre-release of version 5 and that seems to be doing the trick so I'll stick with that.

Good info on the drum clefs, I think I can live with that.

I've got a video scoring project I'm going to complete using this set up and I'll see what I think after I've done all that. If I get really stuck again I'll likely be back here to ask more questions.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #25
Oddologist

I hit a snag right away.

Tempo is now controlled by Reaper. I need to be able to change tempo in Sibelius so I can sync to video. Any ideas?

Last edited by Oddologist; 04-26-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Oddologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #26
Soli Deo Gloria

Hi Oddologist!

It´s nice to read that v5 could solve your issue! Regarding the tempo, if you float the Sibelius rewire FX in Reaper you´ll see there is an option in the bottom to "Allow slave to set tempo". If you tick it, you can play/stop from Sibelius, effectively.

If you´ve got more doubts, just write...

Greets!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #27
marcosdipaolo

ok!

Hi all!!

It took a while but i can say I'm using Reaper as a host and Sibelius rewiring all midi data into my midi tracks in Reaper and triggering pretty nicely my orchestral modules in Kontakt 5.

Intructions where helpful, even though i mixed a bit of them with a bit of instinct.

First of all I'm using loopMIDI as you advice in the tutorial, i like it more that LoopBe30, very nice and I succesfully disable all those loopMIDI tracks as inputs in Sibelius since i was getting lotta feedback.

I gotta say that the rewire track in reaper has no use to me. I only keep starting sibelius in rewire mode to sync playback just in case i want to record audio in reaper later. But if i wanted only to play in reaper what i wrote in sibelius i could start Sibelius even in normal mode and that would be ok.

There is only one thing I haven't figured out yet.

I would like to edit the tempo track in reaper, so, as a host, send that tempo information to sibelius so it plays along and sends the midi to reaper on time.
When i try it Sibelius start messing around with the tempo.
I had tempo 80 in Reaper and tempo 80 in Sibelius, all good.
But..., when i tell reaper that in a certain bar i want tempo to go from 80 to 100 gradually, then Sibelius doesn't get it. For the contrary, that bar instead of faster it goes steadily slower and I don't konw how to fix that. If there is some rewiring setting somewhere regarding variable tempo track either in Sibelius or Reaper.

Thanks a lot bud!

Edit:

i found it!!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=83456

Last edited by marcosdipaolo; 11-24-2015 at 10:50 PM.
marcosdipaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #28
Soli Deo Gloria

Fine, I´m glad you found it rapidly!

Now with Reaper 5´s improvements in the MIDI field, the rewire experience with Sibelius as slave is soo much smoother!

Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #29
chrisguitar10

Default Question

After I do this I get the playback.

I do not know if this is correct to do this but when I hit record I hear the playback and each track now gets as MIDI created from this. However the MIDI created is not correct and does not line up if I hit play in Reaper (allowing the Sibelius ReWire track to also play) the MIDI tracks and the Sibelius ReWire track do not line up. They will only lineup IF I change each MIDI track in Reaper to line up to the correct beat etc.

Is there a way to make it so that the Sibelius ReWire will correctly put the MIDI notes where they should be when I hit record?

(Disclaimer the Reaper Tempo is set to 100 which seems to be the Default tempo in Sibelius)

(Disclaimer 2: I am new to this whole process entirely)

Any help/direction for me would be greatly appreciated and if any clarification is needed let me know. I will try to do the best I can. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also do not know if this has already been addressed as I am very new to all of this
chrisguitar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #30
Soli Deo Gloria

I don´t know if I have completely understood what you´re saying, but try this : instead of receiving the MIDI signal from Sibelius on each track with an instrument in Reaper, try the following :

- Create an empty track, arm it and turn monitoring on. Set the MIDI input to receive data from Sibelius, as stated in the instructions.
- Right-click on the track and go to "Track performance options"; disable media buffering and anticipative FX there.
- Now, from this track send the MIDI data to the track/s in which you have a virtual instrument.

Having done this, see if they line up...
Old 01-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #31
Soli Deo Gloria

I have edited the first post to reflect my current practices in this field. I´m also seeing that the image links are not working - I moved the files from Dropbox without realizing their use in this thread -. I´ll re-upload soon...
Old 01-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #32
chrisguitar10

Soli,

Would that routing of the midi to now a track with an instrument loaded be accomplished thru the route button on each track and creating a new send? I apologize but I am very new to this and still learning.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #33
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar10 View Post
Soli,

Would that routing of the midi to now a track with an instrument loaded be accomplished thru the route button on each track and creating a new send? I apologize but I am very new to this and still learning.
Exactly!
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
chrisguitar10

Default Follow Up

I followed directions again as above, used the tracks as just MIDI tracks, change the performance options and still the MIDI does not line up how it should.

Attached is screens shots I took, the notes on the close up are supposed to match those in Sibelius. As you can see they are not; Am I missing a setting? Maybe this isn't possible and I will have to just re-align the notes then after completion of the score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post Midi.jpg (34.4 KB, 492 views)
File Type: jpg Post-Midi close up.jpg (43.5 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg Sibelius.jpg (48.7 KB, 604 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #35
Soli Deo Gloria

Hmmm, would it be too much to ask for a little test project to run in my setup? I think in that way it would be easier to discern the problem... (for example, with a couple of instances of Synth1 or any other freeware of your choice)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #36
chrisguitar10

What exactly do you want? Just the Reaper file?

I have yet to add an instruments all I did was try to put the MIDI into the tracks
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #37
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, both the RPP and the Sib files would be fine... I thought about a freeware synth in the Reaper file to replicate the environment in my machine...
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #38
chrisguitar10

Not sure what you mean by the synth sorry :/

I did not use any audio when making this RPP at this point as I wanna solve the MIDI thing first.

I really appreciate your help with this
Attached Files
File Type: zip Test.zip (42.8 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #39
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, here it goes... First of all, I have to admit I had misread your first post, so let me clarify something : the topic of MIDI recording in Reaper deserves a thread of is own (in fact, there are a bunch around in which this is discussed). To work with Rewire, it is strongly advisable that you work with either of these workflows :

- Sending MIDI from Sibelius, as explained above.
- Exporting MIDI from Sibelius, once you have finished what you want to do (may it be a passage or a full composition, you choose). If you have the MIDI export function assigned to a shortcut, this is quite fast.

I wouldn´t recommend recording the MIDI output from the instrument tracks, since there are some subtleties that I still have to clarify at some point (I´m mostly doing studio work by now). To illustrate the goodness of the methods available, have a look at these mods of your files :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hsxt9x75...xo3mtpwFa?dl=0

We can remark some points about them :

In Sibelius :

- In my case, I´m using LoopMidi, which has been serving very well for this purpose : http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html. - According to the way I described in the first post, I have set the channels of the strings from 1 to 5 with the LoopMIDI port. I also exported the MIDI from Sibelius, to clarify some things in Reaper.
- I have disabled "Live Tempo" (and "Live Playback", if it would have been ON) from the "Play" menu. This is meant to avoid timing weirdness; take a look here and check everything : http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...50&postcount=7

In Reaper :

Take int account that :

- When you open the project, you´ll be told that there are two missing files...these are from a custom Reabank; just ignore them.
- It would be very advisable if you could use the latest pre-release (look in the corresponding forum section) because there have been some substantial improvements in this field.
- I have set the Rewire track´s record button to ON. Remember that this is fundamental to sync both apps. Also, I´m using the latest update of Sibelius, which has had a fix for Rewire. You´ll have to load the Sib 7.5 rewire plug in this track again.
- I created the MIDI input track, which didn´t exist, and set it to receive all channels of the LoopMIDI port. Record and monitoring must be ON to receive the data. From this track, I created two MIDI sends : channel 1 to 1 (violin) and 5 to 5 (double bass). Both sends are Pre-FX, but if you would need to filter or process the MIDI data right in this track, the sends would be of course post-FX.
- I have put three FXs on the project (an instance of Reasynth both on the violin and the bass track, and ReaFIR on the violin track to demonstrate something. Excuse me for the pedestrian timbres, this only pretends to be a test.

After loading the rewire plug from Sibelius 7.5 and opening it, you should receive MIDI data synced on play. If you take a look at the bar lines in Reaper, you should notice that, whatever happens with MIDI data itself, the sound is compensated to be on time visually.

Now, the last two tracks contain the exported MIDI from your Sibelius project. Do the following : mute the send to the violin track and place the violin MIDI file on the corresponding track with the muted send. You should see that, while receiving MIDI from Sibelius on the bass track and having the violin MIDI file playing internally, both tracks are synced, even though there is the ReaFIR EQ on the violin track, which is PDC-intensive and could provoque a discrepancy. If we hadn´t created the MIDI Input track separated from the instrument tracks, there would be probably a sync problem between what comes from Sibelius and what´s inside of Reaper (at least, this has happened to me on some occasions, while receiving MIDI on each instrument track).

All of this is meant to prove that receiving MIDI from Sibelius or working with its imported MIDI at the same time should give no problem (above all, with the recent fixes in both apps) and it´s the way to go. I don´t use MIDI recording with this workflow and, at least while we don´t clarify a couple of things, it´s not advisable at all...
Old 01-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #40
Soli Deo Gloria

Note for other users apart from Chris : all of the above should serve to further clarify some subtleties of the matter. I´ll have to update the first post during these days; but I have certainly run out of time by now...