Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default receive envelopes?

looking through reaper and the manual i'm not seeing envelopes for receives. is automation all done from the send end of things?

thx,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
daniellumertz

I think Yes, For me it would be cool for organizing proposes to be able to choose. But can see that this could get messy having options of envelopes in send and receives .

But a cool way to see all receives volumes in a track an makes an change it is using Heda Track Inspector https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app/track-inspector
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
babag

thanks, daniel.

i was thinking that it would be more efficient for me to automate in the buss where all of the receives are gathered together as opposed to having to navigate around to all of the various sends. not a kind of mixing i've done before so just getting acquainted.

thanks,
babag
Old 06-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
serr

The send envelope is the receive envelope is the send envelope is the receive envelope. It's the very same envelope! You can view it as one track's send or the other track's receive.

Now the thing where you want to group multiple envelopes together in order to make a single automation edit move...

This started in Protools. What this is when you think about it is a workaround for making a subgroup bus track and then just automating that single bus track. Probably because back then adding an aux bus used hardware pci card resources.

Reaper wants you to just make the subgroup track and then automate that single subgroup track.

PS. I'd like to see grouped automation envelopes in Reaper too! With routing and sends/returns being nearly free in Reaper (assuming a host computer no older than say, circa 2001) it's nearly a moot point. In fact it's kind of relaxing to be able to just route a new subgroup and automate that instead of having to keep grouped envelopes under control! But I'd still appreciate grouped envelopes one day.

Last edited by serr; 06-03-2020 at 08:39 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

I think the idea is to automate the sends independently but just have all the lanes on one track. It could be faked with multichannel routing and a fairly simple JS channel mixer plugin. You’d be limited to the 64 channels, but could make it happen.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
babag

thanks a lot for the tips but... this all sounds very confusing to me. would love to get some detailed info on how to implement it. btw, i did post in the feature request forum if anyone wants to comment there:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237452

i just assumed, and was surprised to see it wasn't there, that i would just be able to go to my reverb buss track and find all of my receives and just set the envelopes to 'visible.' sounded so simple but nope.

thanks,
babag

Last edited by babag; 06-03-2020 at 11:15 AM.