Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default Video thumbnail scripts

REAPER doesn't currently have the option to display video thumbnails in video items, so I uploaded two scripts that offer a (somewhat hackish) workaround:

* js_Video - Extract thumbnails of video items to empty, MIDI or video processor items

This script extracts thumbnail images from selected video items, and adds the thumbnails to selected empty items, MIDI items or dedicated video processor.

These empty/MIDI/processor items can be added manually at hitpoints, or alternatively, empty items can be added by the script "mrlimbic_ffprobe scene detect.lua", which creates empty items at scene (or camera/line) cuts.

(NOTE: For creating a zoom-responsive "thumbnail track", the "Create thumbnail items" script below is much faster than the "Extract thumbnails" script.)

On Linux, ffmpeg needs to be installed, and on WindowsOS and macOS, an ffmpeg executable is required.

* js_Video - Automatically adjust size of thumbnail items when zooming

If thumbnails are extracted and displayed in static empty items, zooming in will result in messy tiling when the items' pixel widths become longer than the width of the thumbnails, while zooming out will result in tiny, barely visible images when the item widths become shorter.

This script offers a workaround: It runs in the background, and automatically adjusts the width of items containing thumbnail images to the approximate width of the images.

All calculations are performed when zooming, not when scrolling, so the script doesn't interfere with playback or recording.

Although this script is mainly intended to create a zoom-responsive "video thumbnail track", it is also useful for preserving the on-screen aspect ratios of other empty items, such as text items or marker items.

EDIT: Third script:
* js_Video - Create thumbnail items in selected track for selected video items

This script creates thumbnail items at regular spacing along the entire lengths of selected video items, and is much faster than the first script, which adds images to pre-existing, irregularly spaced empty items.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-30-2020 at 12:16 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
X-Raym

As long as this isn't native, any workarround is welcome,

and this one seems pretty good ! Well done !

How efficient it is in practice ? Doesn't it take too many CPU power of disk space to generates all the images (let's say, for a 15 minutes video ?)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 AM   #3
Sexan

On a scale from 1 to 10 thank you 500!!
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
How efficient it is in practice ? Doesn't it take too many CPU power of disk space to generates all the images (let's say, for a 15 minutes video ?)
It is surprisingly fast and CPU usage and well as disk space are negligible -- but RAM might be a problem for lower-powered DAWs.

On my current project, with a video item about 37 minutes long and one thumbnail per second, it uses almost 7GB RAM. Disk space is less than 100MB since each image is just 20kB. I don't know why RAM usage is so many orders of magnitude larger than disk space.
EDIT: RAM problem solved!

A performance tip: lock the height of the thumbnail tracks, to prevent them from being re-calculated every time that you zoom other tracks vertically. (In fact, I think I should update the script to lock the heights automatically.)

Last edited by juliansader; 02-05-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
heda

very clever and cool! even as workaround

a jpg can be 20 KB but I think what matters to REAPER would be the resolution. the total number of decoded pixels. maybe as a thumbnail it doesn't need large images specially if you are going to lock the track height, the images could be resized to that track height too
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
X-Raym

@juliansader
Thx for detailes bencharmking.

Indeed is is EXTRA heavy on RAM ! Maybe something to optimized on cockos end ? or maybe in the script Not sure what API functions you use for that... ^^

ANd heda is right maybe the JPEG is decoded and scaled to full rez and it become something larger than 20kn in RAM.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
X-Raym

Maybe there would bea way to only load image in current arrange view section to avoid loading al of them in the ram ? More disk usage but less ram usage ?

(i know it is quite tricky under the hood, not even mure my idea make sense with the way it currently work).
Old 05-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #8
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
very clever and cool! even as workaround

a jpg can be 20 KB but I think what matters to REAPER would be the resolution. the total number of decoded pixels. maybe as a thumbnail it doesn't need large images specially if you are going to lock the track height, the images could be resized to that track height too
You are correct! When I scale the images to 100p, the RAM usage dropped from 7GB to just 150MB!

I will update the script tomorrow. Instead of asking the user to enter a number for JPG quality, it will ask for thumbnail height, with a default of 100p.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-29-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Reflected

superb work!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
X-Raym

Quote:
, the RAM usage dropped from 7GB to just 150MB!

Thats why I call optimization !
Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
juliansader

I've added a new script, "js_Video - Create thumbnail items in selected track for selected video items", which creates thumbnail items at regular spacing along the entire lengths of selected video items, and which is much faster than the first script that adds images one-by-one to pre-existing empty items.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 AM   #12
EpicSounds

very interesting script!
Old 05-30-2020, 01:34 AM   #13
Sexan

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I get only single thumbnail(frame) thru all the clip. Only 1 image is created in the folder.

Edit: Installed #1 script, works as expected (was on #3)

Edit2 : sorry other way around #3 works, #1 gets 1 image

Last edited by Sexan; 05-30-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:24 AM   #14
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I get only single thumbnail(frame) thru all the clip. Only 1 image is created in the folder.

Edit: Installed #1 script, works as expected (was on #3)
Could you send me the script's Console output?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #15
Sexan

Code:

1 thumbnail items found.

Processing thumbnails:

Done!

Successfully added: 1
Non-overlapping with video items: 0
Old 05-30-2020, 04:16 AM   #16
juliansader

Was it script #1 or #3 that didn't work properly for you?

The output that you posted is from script #1, and it only found one empty item, so only one thumbnail will be created. Unlike #3, #1 doesn't create new items, and was originally intended as a companion script to mrlimbic's scene detection script, which performs the item creation.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:24 AM   #17
Sexan

Oh, then sorry my bad. I thought you create empty item and it makes all pictures.

This was script #1 (I've also posted wrong above sorry)

Script #3 works fine
Old 05-30-2020, 05:06 AM   #18
Sexan

BTW just wondering something, long ago when spectral view was in implementation stage, Xenakios managed somehow to write data into peak files. Is there any API/call from C++ that allows this (adding custom data to peak file)?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=112
Old 05-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #19
amagalma

Thanks julian! Very nice!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:56 AM   #20
Sumalc

Thank you so much for looking into this feature.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #21
Triode

Does this work on Mac?
It’s asking me to select the folder with the ffmpeg executable.. and then it doesn’t accept me picking the user plugins folder..
Old 07-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #22
juliansader

It is supposed to work on Mac. Does your user plugins folder contain the "ffmpeg" (no extension) file?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #23
Triode

Hi Julian
It contains ffmpeg with the extension .dylib
What do I do ?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #24
juliansader

The dylib file is an extension that REAPER can load, similar to SWS or ReaScriptAPI.

To run these scripts, you need the executable. If I remember correctly, you can get the executable in the "static" build from https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
Old 07-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
Triode

Aha that seems to work!

Thanks
Old 01-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #26
magrotten

anyone else getting the error - '...ail items in selected track for selected video items.lua:106: attempt to call a nil value (field 'JS_Dialog_BrowseForFolder')'

?

PS, I find that MrLimbic's scene detect works perfectly when the LUA colourspace threshold is set to 20% in the script
magrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #27
juliansader

That error message probably means that the js_ReaScriptAPI extension has not been installed. You can install the extension using ReaPack, or download directly from https://github.com/juliansader/ReaExtensions.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #28
Pink Wool

Nice scripts! Can this script:

js_Video - Create thumbnail items in selected track for selected video items

be set up so I have 24 frames per second? And how?

Or actually 23.976!

Last edited by Pink Wool; 02-04-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #29
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post

Or actually 23.976!
doesn't it follow your video settings in Project Settings?
Old 02-05-2021, 01:35 AM   #30
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post

Or actually 23.976!
I have uploaded v0.91 of the script, which will accept decimals as thumbnail spacing.

To match with framerate, use a spacing of 1/fps, such as 1/23.976
Old 02-05-2021, 01:38 AM   #31
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
doesn't it follow your video settings in Project Settings?
Not at present. However, if other users also prefer to extract one thumbnail per frame, I can make the default spacing follow fps.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #32
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I have uploaded v0.91 of the script, which will accept decimals as thumbnail spacing.

To match with framerate, use a spacing of 1/fps, such as 1/23.976
Thanks! I'm sure I'll start using this now!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:22 AM   #33
xinaes

It'd be nice if this could use ffmpeg from the path, when available, rather than requiring user to locate it; it's a bit of a pain in MacOS having to navigate into /usr/local/bin or whatever to find a copy installed via homebrew.

[ edit: note to self and any future readers who need a reminder: the shortcut to show hidden files in MacOS file dialogs is Cmd+Shift+Period ]

Side-note, it might make sense for ReaPack to manage dependencies, but that's off-topic here and I guess may already be on the author's radar.
xinaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:40 AM   #34
szfs

Default on linux all time error, how fix it?

Quote:
It is supposed to work on Mac. Does your user plugins folder contain the "ffmpeg" (no extension) file?
[h264 @ 0x5610eb965a80] Invalid NAL unit size (1369037331 > 1260).
[h264 @ 0x5610eb965a80] Error splitting the input into NAL units.
[NULL @ 0x5610eb922340] Invalid NAL unit size (-16139020 > 9664).
[NULL @ 0x5610eb922340] missing picture in access unit with size 9668
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing in

Created 1 thumbnail items.
szfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:41 PM   #35
juliansader

There appears to be something wrong with the media file. Unfortunately the script cannot fix a file that ffmpeg cannot read. Does the file play OK in REAPER, VLC and other media players?
Old 06-30-2022, 03:28 AM   #36
szfs

Quote:
There appears to be something wrong with the media file. Unfortunately the script cannot fix a file that ffmpeg cannot read. Does the file play OK in REAPER, VLC and other media players?
yes? play in reaper ok, and also in VLC also play ok. and test ffmpeg as following:
-------------------------
~/Videos >>> ffmpeg -i 001.mp4 -an -vcodec libx264 -crf 23 002.h264
ffmpeg version N-107266-g8d4bdf99e5 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 12.1.0 (GCC)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --enable-lto --disable-rpath --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-shared --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-gray --enable-alsa --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-gcrypt --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-ladspa --enable-lcms2 --enable-libaom --enable-libaribb24 --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcelt --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdavs2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libflite --enable-fontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libglslang --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libilbc --enable-libjack --enable-libjxl --enable-libklvanc --enable-libkvazaar --enable-liblensfun --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --disable-libopencv --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --disable-libopenvino --enable-libopus --enable-libplacebo --enable-libpulse --enable-librabbitmq --enable-librav1e --disable-librist --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-librtmp --enable-libshine --enable-libsmbclient --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libssh --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libsvthevc --enable-libsvtvp9 --disable-libtensorflow --enable-libtesseract --enable-libtheora --disable-libtls --enable-libtwolame --enable-libuavs3d --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvmaf --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxavs2 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxcb-shm --enable-libxcb-xfixes --enable-libxcb-shape --enable-libxvid --enable-libxml2 --enable-libzimg --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-lzma --enable-decklink --disable-mbedtls --enable-libmysofa --enable-openal --enable-opencl --enable-opengl --disable-openssl --enable-pocketsphinx --enable-sndio --enable-sdl2 --enable-vapoursynth --enable-vulkan --enable-xlib --enable-zlib --enable-amf --disable-cuda-nvcc --disable-cuda-llvm --disable-cuvid --disable-ffnvcodec --enable-libdrm --disable-libmfx --disable-libnpp --disable-nvdec --disable-nvenc --enable-omx --disable-rkmpp --enable-v4l2-m2m --enable-vaapi --enable-vdpau
libavutil 57. 27.100 / 57. 27.100
libavcodec 59. 34.100 / 59. 34.100
libavformat 59. 25.100 / 59. 25.100
libavdevice 59. 6.100 / 59. 6.100
libavfilter 8. 41.100 / 8. 41.100
libswscale 6. 6.100 / 6. 6.100
libswresample 4. 6.100 / 4. 6.100
libpostproc 56. 5.100 / 56. 5.100
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '001.mp4':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf59.16.100
Duration: 00:07:13.49, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1662 kb/s
Stream #0:0[0x1](und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 1526 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn (default)
Metadata:
handler_name : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
vendor_id : [0][0][0][0]
Stream #0:1[0x2](eng): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] using SAR=1/1
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX XOP FMA3 BMI2 AVX2
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] profile High, level 4.0, 4:2:0, 8-bit
Output #0, h264, to '002.h264':
Metadata:
major_brand : isom
minor_version : 512
compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
encoder : Lavf59.25.100
Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264, yuv420p(tv, bt709, progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbn (default)
Metadata:
encoder : Lavc59.34.100 libx264
Side data:
cpb: bitrate max/min/avg: 0/0/0 buffer size: 0 vbv_delay: N/A
frame=12990 fps= 12 q=-1.0 Lsize= 103217kB time=00:07:13.36 bitrate=1951.1kbits/s speed=0.401x
video:103217kB audio:0kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.000000%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] frame I:54 Avg QP:16.79 size:166941
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] frame P:4286 Avg QP:20.34 size: 16426
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] frame B:8650 Avg QP:24.66 size: 3038
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] consecutive B-frames: 1.1% 24.1% 18.4% 56.4%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] mb I I16..4: 10.4% 60.6% 28.9%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] mb P I16..4: 1.0% 2.9% 0.3% P16..4: 20.6% 7.3% 3.8% 0.0% 0.0% skip:64.0%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] mb B I16..4: 0.1% 0.1% 0.0% B16..8: 15.0% 1.4% 0.2% direct: 0.5% skip:82.6% L0:39.1% L1:54.7% BI: 6.2%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] 8x8 transform intra:65.7% inter:70.7%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] coded y,uvDC,uvAC intra: 41.3% 49.1% 16.8% inter: 3.9% 4.3% 0.1%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] i16 v,h,dc,p: 34% 31% 16% 19%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] i8 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 21% 19% 35% 3% 4% 4% 5% 4% 5%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] i4 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 30% 26% 11% 5% 6% 5% 6% 6% 5%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] i8c dc,h,v,p: 47% 27% 19% 7%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] Weighted P-Frames: Y:0.5% UV:0.3%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] ref P L0: 68.9% 15.4% 11.7% 4.0% 0.0%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] ref B L0: 90.2% 8.2% 1.6%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] ref B L1: 98.3% 1.7%
[libx264 @ 0x55a7b4347a00] kb/s:1950.82
szfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #37
TobyAM

Damn, I get this error : [swscaler @ 000001812a1f2ac0] [swscaler @ 000001812a20ea00] deprecated pixel format used, make sure you did set range correctly
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:21 PM   #38
GrizzlyAK

Hi Julian. I'm using your "Create..." script and the scaling seems to fall apart when you zoom out to the full project. The thumbs are tiny. See the image. Am I missing something? This really needs to be addressed properly by Cockos so Reaper can be used as a true post audio product. I'd trade all of video editing features currently in Reaper (or planned) for a proper video (thumb) track with separate audio track that is designed for true audio post work for film. I would never try to finish a video/film project in Reaper. There are better tools. If I'm missing something in your script that will make this work as I would expect (full size thumbs all the time), PLEASE let me know. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thumbs.JPG (92.4 KB, 46 views)
GrizzlyAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 05:45 AM   #39
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
On a scale from 1 to 10 thank you 500!!
hahahahahaha
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:58 PM   #40
Triode

Look in reapers main action menu. You can see what scripts are running there. Selecting them there again gives a window where you can choose to stop the script (every time if you want)