Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
rahul42
Human being with feelings

Default Reasamplomatic 5000 giving me weird clicks can't seem to get rid of

Hey this is a recording of some drums i did in a studio but i hated the way the drums came out . So i did some replacing with stillwell drum trigger .

So basically i replaced the kick, snare ,hat (needed some expansion and eq before the drum trig plugin ) , toms . I placed the Cymbals manually using the overhead wave form as reference . and had to edit some snare rolls that didn't translate very well .

I've used reasamplomatic5000 for the kick and snare with samples from freesound.org

used xln audio's addictive drums as overheads and room mics .

recorded the bass through a "stranger ns30" which is a 30 watt guitar amp made in Calcutta . Chucked it in my closet used a q7 on the cab and took a line out from the pre amp section of the amp . its not great but it does the trick .

The tracks are all dry no eq , compression, effects nothing .

i've uploaded two different sections of the same song.
I'm yet to record vocals and guitars
http://soundcloud.com/rahulranganath42

i don't know if you guys can hear it but reasampomatic creates these weird clicks whenever the sample is triggered repeatedly over a short period of time . I tried playing with the attack / release and the length of the sample but i can't get rid of the clicks . i only used samplomatic on kick and snare so look for it over them . Let me know if anyone else has had the same problem.
rahul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
jonpv

I found your thread while googling for "reasamplomatic5000 clicks" because I was having the same problem. I think I've worked it out though.

Since rs5000 is a zero latency plugin (as it should be), the "release" stage of sample playback happens after the MIDI Note-Off event happens. So if you have "Release" set to 1ms, the note will fade out during the 1ms period after the MIDI Note-Off event happens.

The problem occurs when you have one note after the other, and the first note ends at the exact same time as the next note begins. RS5000 should sum the release part of the first note's sample with the beginning of the second note's sample, but it doesn't. It just cuts the end off of the first note's sample where the second note sample begins, so if the first note is still sustaining, it might get cut off somewhere that isn't a zero crossing, and so you get a click. It will happen with lots of short notes with long sustains triggered one after the other, if the length of time between one note ending and the next beginning is shorter than the release time.

To fix: set "Max voices" to 2 or more even if you don't have two notes playing at the same time. If your part has more than one note playing at the same time, set "Max voices" to at least 2 times the maximum number of notes you have playing at the same time. If you need more polyphony than that (ReaSamplOmatic5000 is limited to 16) split it up over multiple tracks or reduce your note lengths so there is a gap between one note ending and the other starting.

It's essentially just a small bug that could be fixed by summing the release section of a note to the beginning of the next triggered note when appropriate. It's still worth using RS5000 because of the really high quality resampling.

Has this worked for you?
jonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
joe2

I've just had a similar problem to this (I think).

The fix for me involved changing the "resample mode" from "project default" to something else (try a few; most of them worked for me).

FWIW my default project playback resample mode is medium (64pt sinc), and my default project render resample mode is extreme HQ (768pt sinc).

It *seems* like rs5k uses the render one, because choosing extreme (or just HQ) from the "resample mode" menu causes the clicks, but settings lower than this don't.

Fun!
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote