Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility of Render Metadata dialogue could use some love (Windows and Mac)

Thrilled to see this dialogue added, but right now, its accessibility is hella sketchy. Initial observations collected from Windows and Mac screen reader users comin' up:

1. the Scheme combo box should probably be the default landing position on open (currently it's the list box containing the table.

2. The visual UX would be more closely reflected if Scheme were first in the tab order (currently it's second).

3. Enter seems to be assigned to the Save button right now. Trouble is, that means there's no way for a keyboard user to get to the edit fields without mouse emulation trickery. Can Enter become the default action for picking which field you want to type into? If you're dead set on keeping Enter assigned to Save then I guess Space could work.

4. On Mac, it's not currently possible to paste into an edit field by hitting CMD+V.

Those would all be huge productivity/UX improvements. Thanks in advance for any refinements, and - as always - if I can provide any more clarity, just shout.

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
ke7zum

The following will cover mac os. I'm using mac os
ProductVersion: 10.15.5
BuildVersion: 19F62f

First, In terms of the id3 editor editing is not very possible. I cannot if i make a mistake go in and curser around. And getting in to the fields is hard especially if voiceover doe snot route correctly, I should just be able to hit vo space on any of the fields or just tab into them and it will auto interact and edit. This is not the case with this table. It is in my humble opinion badly designed from an end user's point of view.
Second, I can't tell if my edit has ben made unless I up and down arrow or vo up and down arrow. This is a bit misleading as I should be able to tell what changes I made and be able to arrow through them. See point 1.
Third. I cannot paste in my comments. This actually is counterintuitive, as I often write long things in let's say text edit for ease, and I cannot paste the comment into the field. I hear the ding of an inaction.

So far I cannot recommend this way of doing this and I will be using my external ID3 editor I have for mac called "ID3 editor" to do this job from now on.
ke7zum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
RustyP

Yes, as stated above, this is a very welcome addition to Reaper, but, as a screen reader user, I would really appreciate the improvements that Scott suggests. Editing the metadata fields requires several extra keystrokes which disrupt the productivity flow.

I so much appreciate the work here though.
thanks!

Last edited by RustyP; 05-14-2020 at 01:36 PM.
RustyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
SkycladSound

Just echoing Scott's words less eloquently. As a sound designer, this addition to Reaper is very exciting, particularly since there are very few accessible multi-format metadata editors out there.

I agree with everything Scott says, but for me, by far the highest priority is being able to edit the metadata fields. I can see what the fields are, but editing them is currently tricky and makes an already tedious process, (metadata entry is my least favourite part of sound design), more time-consuming.

If anything could be done to make this dialogue more accessible, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the great work you do!
SkycladSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:09 AM   #5
ReaProducer

Just echoing the above comments. Really happy to see this being added to Reaper but at the moment it is very difficult to use with a screen reader on both Windows and Mac.
ReaProducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
K8ch

Default Editing Metadata easily would be great!!

Yes... I agree

I was thrilled to see that Reaper was focusing on metadata!

I'd LOVE to see a way to edit metadata, doesn't require Reaper to be open.
Maybe an excel file or some simple file, that loads as a template.

That way I can make a metadata template for my music licensing, and another template for the video productions (3 partners; much different info..)

I think that people who license their music, will want to take some time to edit certain fields, like: "keywords", "mood" or "genre".
Sticking -all- the info in, just as you're about to render your final mix, is a tricky thing

And, I'd rather not type it in as I'm doing the render.
"Moods" and "Keywords" might take a while -and then I've got to double-check them all to make sure there's no spelling errors...
This can take a while.

Am I missing something??
Your thoughts?

Peace,

Keith
https://www.reverbnation.com/keithhaydon
Old 05-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
I'd rather not type it in as I'm doing the render.
I don't think you have to fill that info in at render time, Keith.
If you wanted to do it ahead of time, so long as you choose "Save and close" in the Render dialog when you're done, the meta data will be preserved until you're ready to render the project.

That said, if you're keyboard-only like the rest of us on this thread, then the process of inputting the data isn't likely to be smooth sailing just yet, irrespective of when you decide to do it.

For now, I'd advise a flat coffee (for energy) and a fat cushion (for shouting into).

Scott

Last edited by Scottsdale; 05-27-2020 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Fixing a sentence that had all the clarity of my government's guidance.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
K8ch

Actually, you do have to enter it, each time.

Despite hitting the "Apply" button, the next time I attempted to try a render, the info I'd previously entered (prior to hitting "apply"), wasn't there.

Did "Save" w/render window also, but it didn't save anything.

Keith
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8ch View Post
Despite hitting the "Apply" button, the next time I attempted to try a render, the info I'd previously entered (prior to hitting "apply"), wasn't there.
Eek, I'd be kinda surprised if that was by design. Might be worth a post of its own with reproduction steps.

Scott