Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #1
tonym
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper loading SLOW in Catalina/MacOS 10.15.4

Just got a new MacBook Pro 16" to handle some big video editing projects, and now Reaper is taking forever to load, around 2 minutes every time just to get to an empty new project. Most of that time I just see the splash screen, saying "Loading JS..." Happens both with the signed version 6.11 and the unsigned version, and my plugins (Reaper, JS, Waves, and others) work OK once it opens.

I'm running the latest MacOS, 10.15.4. Maybe it's a security scan of the JS plugins that are slowing it down? I could delete those plugins, rarely use them, but maybe there's a tweak to the security settings that would fix this. Appreciate any suggestions...have been using Reaper for more than 10 years, best software I've ever used!
tonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #2
Appalachik

Default Me too...

I also got a new Macbook Pro 16 a little over a month ago... and until a senior software engineer sorted it’s issues, spread over a couple of days on the phone, the machine was a pile of cr@p.

16Gb, i9 and a 1Tb SSD should have had no problems with big tasks. I got a clue something was wrong when Logic X Pro failed to install properly from the App Store... and took a chunk of Garageband out when I uninstalled it.

6 attempts later, and 2 complete OS reinstalls later, It was obvious the machine was the problem. I only bought it because my old iMac27 broke down and couldn’t be fixed under lockdown (And I teach Logic courses)

The issue relates to the SSD preparation and install. Since my machine has had the SSD properly set up, I Time Machined over all my stuff, and it works maybe 10 times quicker... Naturally, Apple would admit nothing. I can also report it took onboard 10.15.5 a couple of days ago, and so far so good.

I would speak to Apple, get past the first line of people who all work off scripts, and get yourself a senior support engineer. I just barely managed to remain polite enough to get through that process!

Although I teach Logic, and use a couple of plugins (ditto Studio One Pro), I only use Reaper for my own music, and the Mac works extremely well with Reaper. I think the touch bar will be a real asset once that gets implemented, but Presonus Faderport 2 works like a charm with it for me... stuff that doesn’t work however is Arturia Keylab 49, which even comes with a Reaper overlay for the controls... but the product and the software are dire... mine is boxed up for return, because in my recent experience, Arturia’s support are arrogant and unable to help.
Appalachik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
creator31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachik View Post
The issue relates to the SSD preparation and install. Since my machine has had the SSD properly set up, I Time Machined over all my stuff, and it works maybe 10 times quicker... Naturally, Apple would admit nothing.
Hi Appalachik,

Was your issue a general 'new Mac' issue, or was it related to your personal setup? I've got a new iMac on the way, and I'm sweating a bit...

Do you maybe have any info about having to properly set up the SSD, or if it's needed?

Thanks.