Old 05-27-2020, 04:38 AM   #1
RobertWebb
Human being with feelings

Default How to automate send/receive volume?

I can automate wet/dry mix etc via FX panel, but what I want is to automate how much audio gets to an effect in the first place.

I put the effect on a separate track and sent to it, but how can I automate the volume of the send?

Just to clarify the difference, an effect may take some time to fade out. If I automate the wet/dry or volume of the channel with the effect, from full down to zero, it will cut off the fade out. And if I wait for the fade-out then the effect will act on the subsequent notes being sent.

If I could drop the volume of the send after the last note I want affected, then its effect could fade out and subsequent notes could carry on without having the effect applied.

Did that make sense? Is it possible?
RobertWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #2
Stella645

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_qh9raikA0
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
RobertWebb

Ah cool thankyou! Answer is at 2:17 in video for those interested.

I actually found a work-around already because I hadn't noticed that the effect in question has a in-level control, so I can just automate that. But this will no doubt be useful in the future. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
RobertWebb

Sorry, back again.

For some reason when I automate the send volume, and drop it to zero, it instantly stops the sound from the effect too on the track I'm sending to. Why?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #5
Judders

You don't have the volume envelope armed to receive the same CC or anything, do you?

Here is a great script to automate sends: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187138
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
RobertWebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
You don't have the volume envelope armed to receive the same CC or anything, do you?
No I haven't done anything like that and it's a project I just started a few days ago with not much in it.

I think maybe the effect is acting on the very quiet trailing out of the original note. It's just a kick and I figured it was mostly just a transient, but I think it's feeding off the ongoing release.

I might just have to move some notes to a separate track which doesn't send at all, so that one note can fade out while still feeding into the effect while other notes start without the effect.