Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
lilith93
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper is crashing when using ALSA

Hi,

when I'm using ALSA Reaper crashes quite often and I get the Error message "Bus Error" in the terminal. At the same time I get logs in the journal like that:

Code:
Mai 21 17:37:34 marco kernel: traps: reaper[3595] trap stack segment ip:7ff460c2b739 sp:7ffff5989700 error:0 in libSwell.so[7ff460c05000+a7000]
When using Jack all is fine beside of some xruns from time to time. When activating the SERVER SYNCHRONOUS MODE and Jack I get similar crashes and report messages like:

Code:
Sun May 17 02:18:54 2020: ERROR: JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync: SuspendRefNum error
Sun May 17 02:18:54 2020: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphSync: ProcessWriteSlaves error, engine may now behave abnormally!!
Sun May 17 02:18:54 2020: ERROR: JackPosixProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err = Connection timed out
Sun May 17 02:18:54 2020: ERROR: JackEngine::ClientDeactivate wait error ref = 6 name = REAPER
I also get these Bus Errors reported.

My system is Debian 10 and the Interface is a Roland Rubix 24 and I'm using standard Alsa paramters:

As I don't know when Reaper reports "Bus Error" maybe one of the Devs can help what might be responsible for these crashes? Also regarding the journal entries.

Thanks for any help.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
lilith93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
JamesPeters

Your input channels setting for the device in Reaper is "0". I don't know if it could have any impact on this problem, but have you tried changing it to "2" or whatever number of inputs it has?

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-21-2020 at 09:36 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Your input channels setting for the device in Reaper is "0". I don't know if it could have any impact on this problem, but have you tried changing it to "2" or whatever number of inputs it has?
Yes, I had it set to 2 before and set it to 0 because of the crashes. But it makes no difference. Last crash happened exactly at the same time when I hit undo (Ctrl+U), but that was maybe by accident.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
JamesPeters

As for that error about libswell.so, is that about how UI elements are drawn? You might want to post a bug report in the main forum for bug reports.

I'm reaching with this (I know very little about this sort of thing), but if GNOME in your distro has some recent updates, maybe there's something that doesn't work quite right with Reaper.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 05-21-2020 at 09:41 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
lilith93

Quote:
As for that error about libswell.so, is that about how UI elements are drawn? You might want to post a bug report in the main forum for bug reports.
Ok, it is also strange that it occured already the second time with the Bus error. I assume Bus Error refers to USB interface data transfer or something.

So are we going to post Linux errors now also in the main bug forum?

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
JamesPeters

Unless you know what "bus error" means, it's best to not assume. A lot of times that I think I know what I'm doing "intuitively" in Linux, I end up wrong.

The bugs thread was "unstickied" and Jack posted this message:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=475

So maybe it's something worth reporting. I couldn't say.

Try testing with other audio devices if you can (your onboard audio device etc.) before posting a bug report. And also if you can switch to XFCE (just because of that libswell.so error), that might be helpful for testing.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
lilith93

Quote:
Unless you know what "bus error" means, it's best to not assume. A lot of times that I think I know what I'm doing "intuitively" in Linux, I end up wrong.

The bugs thread was "unstickied" and Jack posted this message:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=475

So maybe it's something worth reporting. I couldn't say.

Try testing with other audio devices if you can (your onboard audio device etc.) before posting a bug report. And also if you can switch to XFCE (just because of that libswell.so error), that might be helpful for testing.
I'm already using xfce and made a bug report. I used the short cable from Roland and it also happens.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
JamesPeters

Did you try any other audio device including the one that's built into your computer? (Assuming there is one. Usually there is.) It's worth eliminating variables before reporting.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
lilith93

Quote:
Did you try any other audio device including the one that's built into your computer? (Assuming there is one. Usually there is.) It's worth eliminating variables before reporting.
I tried my old Zoom R8 for 2 hours and there was no error. Will retry tomorrow. It happens too sporadically to be sure. I was just talking to Jack Winter and he also assumes that maybe some hardware is faulty.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
JamesPeters

I have an Asus Xonar DX card which was very glitchy in Reaper using ALSA, or using Jack (over ALSA) in general, on 2 different computers. At first it was rock solid for performance, but after a number of updates to the distro (and Reaper) it was very glitchy. Jack would give errors, Reaper would play for a while then the play cursor would "stick", and Reaper would crash. I tried a lot of troubleshooting and configuration changes but nothing helped.

For a while I used the onboard audio device (since it's very good quality on my main computer) but then I switched audio devices since I wanted something different anyway (with built in mic preamps). Later I noticed there were ALSA updates to the kernel. So I tried the Xonar card again, and now it works fine. So I know firsthand how updates to Linux can sometimes not work out well. But also that they can get fixed later too.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
lilith93

Quote:
I have an Asus Xonar DX card which was very glitchy in Reaper using ALSA, or using Jack (over ALSA) in general, on 2 different computers. At first it was rock solid for performance, but after a number of updates to the distro (and Reaper) it was very glitchy. Jack would give errors, Reaper would play for a while then the play cursor would "stick", and Reaper would crash. I switched audio devices since I wanted something different anyway (with built in mic preamps) but later I noticed there were ALSA updates to the kernel. I tried the Xonar card again, and now it works fine. So I know firsthand how updates to Linux can sometimes not work out well. But also that they can get fixed later too.
I hope it's not a hardware error. The interface is new I could send it back until next friday. It's working with Jack, so I guess / hope it's fine.

The Zoom R8 is not working with Alsa. Music from the browser is crackling, but Reaper runs fine with Alsa (tested for 2 hours or so). There are silly issues sometimes and I have the feeling that sometimes it's even not reproducible. For instance I was getting pulseaudio xruns when using Reaper, then I blacklisted my internal soundcard, the xruns were gone. Now they are back --> so it was not the internal soundcard, but something else.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #12
JamesPeters

Are you running Pulseaudio at the same time as ALSA, or some kind of bridge from one to the other? I've heard that some bridge (Pulse over ALSA maybe) can be problematic.

I only run ALSA for Reaper, and everything else is set to use Pulseaudio. When Reaper is running, Pulseaudio is disabled until I stop playback in Reaper.

I've also set Pulseaudio to only use 44.1 KHz so it doesn't change sample rates, since the Scarlett 2i2 makes a "click" when changing sample rates and I find it annoying.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:24 AM   #13
lilith93

Quote:
Are you running Pulseaudio at the same time as ALSA, or some kind of bridge from one to the other? I've heard that some bridge (Pulse over ALSA maybe) can be problematic.

I only run ALSA for Reaper, and everything else is set to use Pulseaudio. When Reaper is running, Pulseaudio is disabled until I stop playback in Reaper.

I've also set Pulseaudio to only use 44.1 KHz so it doesn't change sample rates, since the Scarlett 2i2 makes a "click" when changing sample rates and I find it annoying.
I think when Reaper is stopped sound from the browser is played through Pulseaudio. When using Jack I use the Pulseaudio bridge that's already configured by the KXStudio settings. Can a bridge used without using Jack?

I try to get a coredump from Reaper (as suggested by Justin) when the problem occurs and I just trying to figure out how to do that:

I can run Reaper in gdb by executing "gdb ~/opt/REAPER/./reaper" and "run".
In gdb there's a option called "generate-core-file" which save a dump into my home directory. This seems to work. Hopefully it will shed some light on the bug.

Debian - Buster / XFCE

Last edited by lilith93; 05-22-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
lilith93

I set up Debian now to generate Coredumps. In the morning I was testing the Rubix on another PC with Reaper. -> no crash for hours.

Testing it on the "crashy PC" afterwards for hours -> no crash...
It's not crashing with Alsa and not with Jack in Synchronous mode. So I guess these two crashes are because of the same error. Maybe tomorrow I have more luck

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
lilith93

It's also happening with my second interface. I posted a backtrace here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=236818

Installing Reaper 6.09 coincides with buying the Roland, so my assumption is that the problems started with 6.09. I will try 6.08 now again. I was working on a track in April with 6.08 without such problems.

Maybe it's worse to keep a record with changes. After 4 weeks everything is forgotten again.

Debian - Buster / XFCE

Last edited by lilith93; 05-23-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
lilith93

Quote:

How have you set pulseaudio to 44.1 kHz. I want to set it to 48 kHz as I'm using 48 usually. I thought that Firefox uses 44.1 kHz, so is this even possible without resampling?

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
JamesPeters

edit this file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Requires sudo (and whatever editor you use for this kind of thing)

What I did to set it to 44100:

-uncomment this line (by removing ";" from the start of the line):
default-sample-rate = 44100

-also uncomment this line the same way (after changing its value to 44100, since it was 48000 initially):
alternate-sample-rate = 44100

-edit this line to read the following:
avoid-resampling = false
(Notice the lack of ";" at the beginning of the line)

FF uses whatever samplerate the media uses, as far as I know. I've noticed Youtube videos will sometimes use 48000 Hz (and I'd hear the "click" in my speakers from my interface switching from 44100 Hz, too). Now of course I never hear that click, unless I'm purposely using a sample rate other than 44100 in Reaper.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
lilith93

Quote:
edit this file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Requires sudo (and whatever editor you use for this kind of thing)

What I did to set it to 44100:

-uncomment this line (by removing ";" from the start of the line):
default-sample-rate = 44100

-also uncomment this line the same way (after changing its value to 44100, since it was 48000 initially):
alternate-sample-rate = 44100

-edit this line to read the following:
avoid-resampling = false
(Notice the lack of ";" at the beginning of the line)

FF uses whatever samplerate the media uses, as far as I know. I've noticed Youtube videos will sometimes use 48000 Hz (and I'd hear the "click" in my speakers from my interface switching from 44100 Hz, too). Now of course I never hear that click, unless I'm purposely using a sample rate other than 44100 in Reaper.
Thanks, it doesn't work for me. When opening Reaper I get 48 kHz, but after closing my interface switches to 48 kHz again. I got some videos played in Firefox with 48 kHz, but in Chromium it's always 44.1 kHz. Also got a burst of noise that almost killed my ears... :/ I will try again tomorrow.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #19
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Thanks, it doesn't work for me. When opening Reaper I get 48 kHz, but after closing my interface switches to 48 kHz again. I got some videos played in Firefox with 48 kHz, but in Chromium it's always 44.1 kHz. Also got a burst of noise that almost killed my ears... :/ I will try again tomorrow.
Got it working and learned some things. Pulse was not looking in ~/home/.config/pulse but in ~/.pulse.

I saw that with
Code:
pulseaudio -v
I changed it now to 48 kHz and it's much better. There's a little bit crackling sometimes but not like every second as before.

There's also the option to play with the resampling rate (resample-method = speex-float-1), see for instance here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulse...o/-/issues/310

As I use my new interface now I don't need to do the changes, but it's good to know.

I'm still confused with pulseaudio.socket, pulseaudio.server, etc.

The Arch site offers lots of explanations.

Debian - Buster / XFCE
Old 05-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #20
s wave

Hey there... if you spend an hour with PULSE (Pavu) you can kind of see the routing... Use Audacity to experiment with routing... https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/16/li...dio-explained/ https://opensource.com/article/17/1/linux-plays-sound this article is older and you may have to adjust the tutorial a bit. But maybe it will give you that missing info nugget you are looking for.

I got my arms around it by understanding how limited ALSA is for routing. Pulse can have multiple inputs and outputs... that kind of did it for me... gl
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote