Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
the 7th String
Human being with feelings

Default latency issues

i have been having latency issues with my PC. I have spent 14 hours re installing drivers, roll back windows and nvidia updates, changing setting, running dx diag, malware scan etc. after hours of surfing forums this seems to be common win 10 problem with no real consistent fix.

my PC spec is 370n mobo, 1080 card, i7 8700k 16 gb ram. I run a Line 6 helix USB in.

When i run latency monitor it gives me an error in NDIS for wlan( i am ethernet wired in) and a Nvidia error( rolled back drivers changed multiple settings) so i am at a loss now. A bios update is my last kick

Would running a separate sound card be a possible fix? I heard running an interface takes some of the latency load and heard it adds more as well?

Open to any suggestions
the 7th String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
serr

Some of the pci card connecting audio interfaces will have a baseline lower latency than some of the USB connecting audio interfaces. (Meaning that at the same block size setting, the pci interface will have lower latency than the USB interface.) Thunderbolt connecting interfaces will also have some of the lowest possible latency just like the pci connecting models. Some of the older firewire connecting interfaces come in with low latency as well. And then there are a couple of the higher end USB connecting interfaces that have better lower latency performance than the rest. (Like RME)

If the goal is live performance or live sound where you need real time no perceivable lag on your output, shopping for an interface that has the lowest baseline latency is the thing to do. This leads to usable lag free latency with higher block size settings. That leads to being able to use some heavier plugins live. Note that you can't use any plugin with an internal latency that is higher than your block size setting no matter how fast your CPU is. (Not even with a machine like that $60,000 Mac Pro!)

But if you are, shopping for a 'faster' interface is very much the thing to do and the pci and thunderbolt connecting models will have the lowest latency.

What's the lowest block size you can run without dropouts now?
Are you running at 48k sample rate? This is usually the sweet spot for lowest possible latency with lowest CPU use. (44.1k is higher latency for the same CPU use. 96k crosses the line and is higher CPU use for the same latency.)
The part to read between the lines with above is that if you are NOT doing live performance or live sound through the system, you should be setting your block size high (512, 1024, or 2048 samples) for CPU headroom because you literally aren't listening to input + output at the same time.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
the 7th String

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Some of the pci card connecting audio interfaces will have a baseline lower latency than some of the USB connecting audio interfaces. (Meaning that at the same block size setting, the pci interface will have lower latency than the USB interface.) Thunderbolt connecting interfaces will also have some of the lowest possible latency just like the pci connecting models. Some of the older firewire connecting interfaces come in with low latency as well. And then there are a couple of the higher end USB connecting interfaces that have better lower latency performance than the rest. (Like RME)

If the goal is live performance or live sound where you need real time no perceivable lag on your output, shopping for an interface that has the lowest baseline latency is the thing to do. This leads to usable lag free latency with higher block size settings. That leads to being able to use some heavier plugins live. Note that you can't use any plugin with an internal latency that is higher than your block size setting no matter how fast your CPU is. (Not even with a machine like that $60,000 Mac Pro!)

But if you are, shopping for a 'faster' interface is very much the thing to do and the pci and thunderbolt connecting models will have the lowest latency.

What's the lowest block size you can run without dropouts now?
Are you running at 48k sample rate? This is usually the sweet spot for lowest possible latency with lowest CPU use. (44.1k is higher latency for the same CPU use. 96k crosses the line and is higher CPU use for the same latency.)
The part to read between the lines with above is that if you are NOT doing live performance or live sound through the system, you should be setting your block size high (512, 1024, or 2048 samples) for CPU headroom because you literally aren't listening to input + output at the same time.
I just want the pops and crackles to go away in my recordings
Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
serr

Are you playing live through the Reaper mixing board? Do you have fx or amp sims dialed up that you need to hear that way to perform?

Or are you just listening to the guitar amp itself live and just recording with the computer?

The former needs your system dialed down to low latency. The latter does not.

So, which of those are you doing and what is your block size set to?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Stella645

In Nvidia control panel find the prefer maximum performance setting and turn it on.

Check if there are any lan drivers specifically for the board you may not have installed.

Make sure computer is on high performance power management setting.

Check in Win startup menu what is starting with Windows and disable anything unnecessary.

Disable any third party a/v

If still problematic run latency mon (nothing else running) for 20 mins and post drivers tab sorted by highest execution.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
the 7th String

Quote:
Are you playing live through the Reaper mixing board? Do you have fx or amp sims dialed up that you need to hear that way to perform?

Or are you just listening to the guitar amp itself live and just recording with the computer?

The former needs your system dialed down to low latency. The latter does not.

So, which of those are you doing and what is your block size set to?
I only have the sims through my helix playing through my monitors and listen to that as i record. When i play back its full of pops and crackles. the block is set to lowest latency setting.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
the 7th String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
In Nvidia control panel find the prefer maximum performance setting and turn it on.

Check if there are any lan drivers specifically for the board you may not have installed.

Make sure computer is on high performance power management setting.

Check in Win startup menu what is starting with Windows and disable anything unnecessary.

Disable any third party a/v

If still problematic run latency mon (nothing else running) for 20 mins and post drivers tab sorted by highest execution.
I have done that in the control panel.

I'll check that.

I have done that.

I'll try that.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7th String View Post
I only have the sims through my helix playing through my monitors and listen to that as i record. When i play back its full of pops and crackles. the block is set to lowest latency setting.
That's the screwup then. You're not even listening to the output of the Reaper mixing board. That means you aren't doing low latency needing work. Set your block size to 1024 or 2048 samples. Tick the box next to block size to enable control of this in Reaper. Box unticked means disable the Reaper controls so you can use other software control panels. SOP is to control this stuff from the DAW as first choice.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
the 7th String

Quote:
That's the screwup then. You're not even listening to the output of the Reaper mixing board. That means you aren't doing low latency needing work. Set your block size to 1024 or 2048 samples. Tick the box next to block size to enable control of this in Reaper. Box unticked means disable the Reaper controls so you can use other software control panels. SOP is to control this stuff from the DAW as first choice.
Thank you i will try this.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
DVDdoug

Quote:
You probably need MORE latency (a bigger buffer).

If you can monitor directly through the line 6 you can use a big buffer and compensate for the latency (delay) in the recording (if necessary) and there is no downside to longer latency.

If you are monitoring through the computer it can be a compromise trying to get the latency down to where it doesn't mess-up your playing while still getting good record quality.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote