Old 10-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #161
cymbals
Human being with feelings

Kenny,

I've been listening to pop music lately (eg: Britney Spears Circus album - Not sure who did it, but hats off to whomever.), and would love to learn that song broken down via a series of videos. I'd pay for it and/or purchase the needed plugins. Shoot me an email at brenthathawaymusic@gmail.com as I don't get on the boards much lately. Too busy with music!

Thanks Kenny and whomever!
cymbals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #162
3buddhas

Kenny, just discovered your trove of training vids, led there by folks on this forum. Very interested to watch a lot of these. First watched "How To Watch ...", second watched the Intro vid under First MIDI Song.
Already I find myself in a pickle. Where Reaper appears to give you a fresh project to work with, and I want to follow your moves with my own fresh project, Reaper seems to give me a new project laden with setup choices I made a few minutes ago, when I didn't know what I was doing. For example, you docked your mixer and it looked good there on the left Mine's got empty shelves above it, into the tracks area. Doesn't look good. How can I start fresh? Get Reaper to give me a new project, as if I'd never been there before? Also, I love that you've got a virtual MIDI keyboard that looks like a piano with ivories. Reaper's giving me a more generic key-look.
many thanks,
cheers
3buddhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #163
DZibman

Default Kenny

Your videos are awesome! Much appreciated.
DZibman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #164
Jeffsounds

Kenny hasn't been around much lately... he's probably been really busy making videos for v6...
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #165
soundchaser59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZibman View Post
Your videos are awesome! Much appreciated.
Totally agree. I just learned how to midi control a 6 tap ReaDelay with separate midi channel controlling each tap. Couldn't have figured it out without the light bulb moments I got from watching your video clip. Your clips are very well made, and you have a real knack for explaining things in concise layman's terms.

Bookmarked and I'm a fan! THANK YOU Kenny Gioia!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 PM   #166
Calaban

Yup....Kenny you’re the best. I have learned so much from you. I always get excited when I see a new video available from you. Thanks a million.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #167
joehlinb

Default Video “How to” using inserted new midi note names in Reaper

Kenny, Love your intuitive videos.
Is there a video as stated in my title using midi note maps from Reaper stash.
I am pretty new at this midi stuff
Thanks again Kenny
joehlinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #168
superblonde.org

These videos are A++. �� ��

Typically I listen to these at 1.5x or 2x playback speed on youtube. For musical parts I switch back to 1.0x. Using faster watching speeds really makes absorbing the howto's really quick.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #169
witchapestudio

Default Amazing

Kenny, I am so glad that you have taken the time to make all of these videos. Thanks you!
witchapestudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #170
Kenny Gioia

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #171
Sambo Rouge

Hey Kenny,

Over the past few years, we have seen what a great contribution you have made to the Reaper community with your terrific tutorials.

You have a wonderful way of putting over the subject at hand in a clear and succinct
manner. Your delivery is warm and enthusiastic and many of us haven't thanked you enough.

So --- a big thank you Kenny. Speaking for myself I learned a lot from your videos
and always found now matter how complex the topic --- you always made it seem totally understandable.

All the best mate --- keep up the great work.

Regards,

SR
Old 10-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #172
shmuelyosef

Totally resonate, I had used Cakewalk software since the MIDI-only days (with my venerable and still relevant Roland SC-55). When they started 'losing it' around SONAR with ever-increasing costs and less support from the 'bakers' as we called them, I had huge intrepidation as I contemplated my options. I had always thought of Reaper as hobbyist software, until I discovered Kenny's videos and spent several marathon sessions absorbing the capabilities. I still have SONAR PRO loaded but haven't used it in 2019 (moved some of the final projects over 2018 holiday season).

THANX...I might not have gotten here without the videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefeatedKeys View Post
I can only echo what previous posters have said.

Being a former long-time SONAR user, I've found these videos invaluable in learning how to "get things done" using Reaper that were second nature in SONAR at a pace that is spot on for newcomers to Reaper like myself.

Excellent stuff Kenny, and long may it continue
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #173
Kenny Gioia

Thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #174
mschnell

I started to watch the new Reaper 6 series of tutorial videos.

Awesome ! I feel the quality and didactic approach is even better than before.

I just found a glitch in Video 5 on Midi.

Here you say: "To use Continuous Controllers you need to activate enable input for control messages with the Midi device".

Unfortunately this is wrong and reflects a very common misconception about Midi handling in Reaper. In fact this setting activates creating Reaper Control Path messages from Midi CCs. These Control Path messages in turn can be used to perform actions on Reaper itself. But independent of that setting, CC messages from a Midi device are just normally routed to tracks and can be used to control Midi aware plugins.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-19-2020 at 11:45 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #175
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I started to watch the new Reaper 6 series of tutorial videos.

Awesome ! I feel the quality and didactic approach is even better than before.

I just found a glitch in Video 5 on Midi.

Here you say: "To use Continuous Controllers you need to activate enable input for control messages with the Midi device".

Unfortunately this is wrong and reflects a very common misconception about Midi handling in Reaper. In fact this setting activates creating Reaper Control Path messages from Midi CCs. These Control Path messages in turn can be used to perform actions on Reaper itself. But independent of that setting, CC messages from a Midi device are just normally routed to tracks and can be used to control Midi aware plugins.

-Michael
You are correct. It will be fixed. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #176
Headroom

Default Auto-Stretch Timebase

The tutorials are just wonderful Kenny. Thank you for putting so much time and effort together to educate us (me).

Just one question to version 6. Is there a video for Auto-Stretch Timebase?
Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #177
Hafer

Kenny's the man who helped me to get in love (and addicted) to the rugged beauty Reaper sometimes can be.

Thx a lot man!
Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #178
juliansader

Hi Kenny, I've just watched you newest video on stretch markers, and am curious to know what settings you use for pitch shift/time stretch mode? Do you ever encounter glitches?

I have stopped using REAPER's SMs altogether, since I haven't been able to find any reliable settings, whether for separate notes with distinct transients (as in your video), or for legato notes.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #179
juan_r

I'm interested in stretch markers, too. I found 3 such videos. Which is the one that caught your fancy?

Drum Editing - Stretch Markers https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#6j_6dfWSLKI

Stretch Marker - Transient Guides https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#GRO-ecLZqmw

(Reaper 5 Explained) 20. Stretch Markers https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#AqsIBFjcM_4

(I personally like the one that includes transient guides as it's 2-in-1)

Last edited by juan_r; 06-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #180
b_blespo

Default custom command to control plugin

Hi Kenny,

I just watched your video on FX Monitoring. I installed Blue Cat's Gain 3. My lynx has a USB interface and the software for controlling the volume is quite lacking.

I do not keep a controller handy and the one I have takes a lot of desk real estate.

Is there a way to create a custom action so that I can adjust the volume with my keyboard?

Thanks
Brian
b_blespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #181
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_blespo View Post
Hi Kenny,

I just watched your video on FX Monitoring. I installed Blue Cat's Gain 3. My lynx has a USB interface and the software for controlling the volume is quite lacking.

I do not keep a controller handy and the one I have takes a lot of desk real estate.

Is there a way to create a custom action so that I can adjust the volume with my keyboard?

Thanks
Brian
I don't think so. I would recommend getting some type of passive volume control box so you don't need to do it in the software.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #182
kaylec

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_blespo View Post
Hi Kenny,

Thanks
Brian
I use this little guy with my Metric Halo interface - it is fantastic and so very small. Just bigger than a deck of cards. Highly recommended.

https://vintagemaker.net/littleknob/
kaylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:02 AM   #183
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgulbro View Post
My audio device -Focusrite-is not recognizing my inputs. When opening the audio device settings page it states ASIO, Focusrite USB ASIO and then under the enable inputs and output range-nothing-nothing is there to add when clicking on the arrow. I have within the last 3 weeks downloaded new drive.

Thanks for your help.
Re-post this in the general forum or the newbie forum as a new thread. Kenny is a cool, helpful guy, but thus thread is solely to discuss his videos.
Re your focusrite, what happens if you uninstall the new driver you downloaded and go back to the earlier one? Also, WHICH focusrite device are you using?

But please answer this in the right forum area. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #184
matt_t

Default Checking for True Stereo Tracks video

Hi, another member of the Ken Enjoyer Fan Club here. Does anyone else find themselves doing a mental commentary when they're mixing? "And I'll split the item - hit S ..." Or is it just me?

Anyway, a question/suggestion for Kenny about the Checking for True Stereo Tracks video: Instead of messing around with polarity settings and pin connectors, wouldn't it be easier just to use Voxengo SPAN with the Mid-Side Stereo preset? If the side-channel meter shows any level then it's a stereo track, if not then it's mono.

You could have SPAN in the monitoring FX, which lots of people might have anyway, and it would also save the time moving FX from one track to another. Just solo each track in turn. Another option would be to use Voxengo MSED in Inline mode, and use the Mid Mute button. If there's any sound then it's a stereo track, if not then it's mono.

Just a thought, and keep up the good work.
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:21 AM   #185
lozzybloom

Default Kenny, you're awesome

Thanks so much for your continued efforts Kenny. I'm quite new to music production, but I'm becoming a fan!

I was wondering whether you had any advice on finding empty keyboard shortcuts for the action list. It's just a small thing, but it'd be nice to know which shortcuts are available to use for new actions without going through all my options..

Keep being awesome!
lozzybloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:16 AM   #186
planetnine

You can sort the Actions List by keyboard shortcut order. This can help find the “shift”, “ctrl”, “alt” and “win” combination modifier options that you haven’t used.

Or look at Edgemeal’s post on this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=251105]

>
Old 04-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #187
thunderbroom

Default Web Control Function stopped working.

Up until recently, I was able to successfully use the OSC function for my phone when I'm tracking myself in the main live room. A couple of months ago, I started getting error messages and lost that ability.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the OSC commands in the preferences menu, following Kenny's tutorial as I did the first time I did it (and was successful). Now I keep receiving the following error message, regardless of how I attempt this action:

Error: The ID 'reaper.fm' was not found for your network. Either the ID is incorrect, or this device is not connected to the same local network as the computer running Reaper.

I can tell you that the network is the same, and everything is on the same network in my studio. So is there a workaround for an error like this? Thank you in advance for any guidance you might offer.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:32 AM   #188
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbroom View Post
Up until recently, I was able to successfully use the OSC function for my phone when I'm tracking myself in the main live room. A couple of months ago, I started getting error messages and lost that ability.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the OSC commands in the preferences menu, following Kenny's tutorial as I did the first time I did it (and was successful). Now I keep receiving the following error message, regardless of how I attempt this action:

Error: The ID 'reaper.fm' was not found for your network. Either the ID is incorrect, or this device is not connected to the same local network as the computer running Reaper.

I can tell you that the network is the same, and everything is on the same network in my studio. So is there a workaround for an error like this? Thank you in advance for any guidance you might offer.
This is beginning to feel like I`m a gate keeper!

Once again, O.P. : Please re-post this in the general area rather than here, an area specific to Kenny Gioia`s wonderful videos.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:15 AM   #189
Maskmagog

Kenny,
As my first post here I'd like to show my appreciation for your video tutorials. They are very well done, easy to understand and not a small factor when choosing Reaper instead of my previous DAW of choice since 20 years!

So thank you!
Maskmagog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #190
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
Kenny,
As my first post here I'd like to show my appreciation for your video tutorials. They are very well done, easy to understand and not a small factor when choosing Reaper instead of my previous DAW of choice since 20 years!

So thank you!
Thank you
Old 06-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #191
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
Kenny,

So thank you!
Seconded
Old 07-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #192
Charango

Default New Kenny videos

Thanks for the new videos Kenny, much appreciated and looked forward to!
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #193
eq1

Kenny's videos are gold. I try to remember to look there first when I can't figure out how to do something in reaper - because in the past I often ended up there, only after a lot of time and searching and not making headway.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #194
Charango

Even if Kenny's videos seem to be about something I know already, like his latest ones about why and how to use reverb, eq and compression etc I still watch them because there is always something new to learn or a different perspective on basic things. I even watch them when they are about subjects I may not have too much of an interest in like making hip-hop beats for example, just to learn something new
Old 07-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #195
ellarr

Default I wanna shake your hand and buy you a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Just a reminder that all of my REAPER videos are posted up here now. At the top of the forum.

Check back on a regular basis as I'll be adding them throughout the month.

Or sign up to get a notification brief email as I release each new video.

Thanks for your support.

Kenny
I wanna shake your hand and buy you a beer.
ellarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:39 AM   #196
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Or sign up to get a notification brief email as I release each new video.
Hi Kenny, on the Reaper videos subscription page I get this error message:

ERROR: Sorry, there was an error. Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser and try again.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:32 AM   #197
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
Hi Kenny, on the Reaper videos subscription page I get this error message:

ERROR: Sorry, there was an error. Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser and try again.
Just subscribe to the YouTube channel.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #198
Lynx_TWO

I deleted YouTube yesterday due to the fact I had to re-word a fairly innocuous (and certainly nothing inflammatory) post 6 times before the algorithms didn't delete it - it had started happening more and more the last several months, but it got extreme yesterday - but thanks to the link at the main site now I can keep up with new content from Kenny! Thanks for all you do bro!
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #199
tfmc

Default A video request list?

Kenny, You are the man when it comes to tutorial for Reaper!
Have you ever thought about starting a Video request list for Reaper?
In case someone out there wanted to learn something in Reaper, but there hasn't been a tutorial for it?

thanx again for all you do!
See you on Youtube...
The Fishman
tfmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:10 AM   #200
JonnyDee

Massive thanks to Kenny.

Without your videos I'd still a total gibbering wreck, just randomly stabbing a finger at buttons and praying for something positive to happen.

At the start of the year I knew nothing about DAWs or Reaper. Now I know SOMETHING. Your tuition is clear, concise and lots of fun and has enabled me to produce a podcast that sounds almost listenable. :-)

It's my ambition to one day use every function, every plugin and shortcut, but I have a feeling that's maybe gonna take some time.

Brilliant work Mr. G!
JonnyDee is offline   Reply With Quote