Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
djz
Human being with feelings

Default I think I'm stupid... (playing VST params in realtime)

I want to be able to "play" my VSTs in real time. Like, record my parameter adjustments in the VST interface window... is there a straightforward way to do this? Seems like it should be easy...
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
EvilDragon

After you click on a VST parameter you want to record in realtime, right-click the Param button, and you will see:

Last touched: [name of the parameter]
Show in track controls
Show in track envelope
Parameter modulation
Learn
Alias parameter

"Show in track envelope" is what you need. After that, set the envelope mode to Write (click on the "env" button). This should enable recording the control while your track is record enabled, and you're actively recording.

There's even a property (Ctrl+P, Properties->Editing Behavior->Envelopes), that's called "Automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write modes". When this is active, if your track envelope mode is Write or Touch or Latch, whenever you move a new VST parameter in its interface, a new envelope is created automatically. You have to be careful with this setting though, as you might overpopulate the track envelopes quite fast.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
djz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
After you click on a VST parameter you want to record in realtime, right-click the Param button, and you will see:

Show in track controls
Show in track envelope
Parameter modulation
Learn
Alias parameter

"Show in track envelope" is what you need. After that, set the envelope mode to Write (click on the "env" button). This should enable recording the control while your track is record enabled, and you're actively recording.

There's even a property (Ctrl+P, Properties->Editing Behavior->Envelopes), that's called "Automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write modes". When this is active, if your track envelope mode is Write or Touch or Latch, whenever you move a new VST parameter in its interface, a new envelope is created automatically. You have to be careful with this setting though, as you might overpopulate the track envelopes quite fast.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was after.
djz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Neezoo

Default VST parameters

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Show in track controls
Show in track envelope
Parameter modulation
Learn
Alias parameter

Hi EvilDragon, I am a newbie to this forum and to reaper as wel (to DAWs in general), I have a question over setting a VST parameters, My question is lets say i have at least two tracks on reaper sharing the same vst, how do i set different vst parameters for each track separately so I dont need to add the VST twice since it has diffirent parameters? hope i made myself clear, any help will apreciated thank you indeed.
Neezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
DarkStar

^^^^
Which VST are you thinking of?

If it is not multitimbral then you will need to insert the VST on each track and automates the parameters of each VST separately.

If it something like Kontakt or SampleTank then you may be able to have only a single instance of the VSTi and automate its parameters . You would need to Send one or both MIDI tracks to the track that the VST is on, and all the automation would be on that VSTi track.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Neezoo

Default Guitar Rig 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
^^^^
Which VST are you thinking of?

If it is not multitimbral then you will need to insert the VST on each track and automates the parameters of each VST separately.

If it something like Kontakt or SampleTank then you may be able to have only a single instance of the VSTi and automate its parameters . You would need to Send one or both MIDI tracks to the track that the VST is on, and all the automation would be on that VSTi track.
Thank you DarkStar for your quick reply, actually I am using Guitar Rig 4 as a VST to process my GT dry tracks, works fine with the rhythm part and when it comes to chose the solo patch i face that situation that i am talking about here. so i thought of render to a new track so i can work with the other one (the solo), but need to know if it is possible to keep the VST active on both patches for both tracks?
Neezoo is offline   Reply With Quote