Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Ideosound
Human being with feelings

Default Force dark mode on MOJAVE hack

Discovered you can force dark mode for non-native apps. If you type this into terminal:

'defaults write com.cockos.reaper NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0'

To change back replace the 0 with a 1.

Makes all tops of windows dark (which can't be done via themes), system messages (like save this project) and right-click menus.

There's a few bugs at the moment with the latest version of reaper.

Playhead doesn't display properly, seems to disappear intermittently. Not sure if this is just on my theme. That's a deal breaker for me, really want that to work in future.

Start up splash animation bugs out a little. Can swap in a custom image as a workaround (also seems to break PNG transparency)

The FX/plugin window looks bad and can't seem to change that via the theme. I expected it to follow the other windows colours. The FX window does seem to run on its own menu system. Also the wet/dry knob doesn't go dark.

Info from this post - https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme..._applications/
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #2
PhelixK

Thanks for the heads up)
When using latest Reaper Dev-version, the play-head, splash and most elements seems to display correct here. Some 3rd. party GUI are totally blacked out though…

I believe the devs are still working on adjustments to apple metal framework and Retina support.

Btw. for Mojave I recommend NightOwl, for easy dark/light mode switching with a shortcut.
https://nightowl.kramser.xyz/

Last edited by PhelixK; 08-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Adding some more tweaks for the next +dev build to make the FX window and splash work better in dark mode with that override set.

FYI: Enabling dark mode might also break plug-ins, as it prevents various Quartz APIs from working in certain contexts... so keep that in mind!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Adding some more tweaks for the next +dev build to make the FX window and splash work better in dark mode with that override set.

FYI: Enabling dark mode might also break plug-ins, as it prevents various Quartz APIs from working in certain contexts... so keep that in mind!
Yes thank you,
An example is Melodyne VST-3 that is not showing correct with ‘System Appearance'. I suppose it’s using Quartz.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
vsgrt

Another plugin not working is Crave EQ.

The dark mode looks absolutely great though (dev0705) - So pleasant to the eye that i am considering finding another EQ to work around it.

Edit: CraveEQ works as long as i resize it slightly - as if it resets itself.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Triode

I take it you have to be on Mojave for this to work?

Rather than High Sierra?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #7
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I take it you have to be on Mojave for this to work?

Rather than High Sierra?
Yes, HS doesn't have the full dark theme.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Hi, thanks so much for trying to get this to work better! Really appreciate it as it really does look amazing for people who like darker themed software. The override seems to cause an issue with PNG transparency on the splash start screen. Is there a way around this preventing various Quartz APIs from working?
Old 12-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #9
Ideosound

Thanks for getting most of this fixed, I think having constancy across the windows is a huge improvement, well-done team! Regarding the forced dark mode on Mojave +, there's just one thing left to fix. The wet/dry knob on FX windows doesn't work correctly:

Lastly, I think it would be the icing on the cake if we could have any fader/slider control to have a light grey colour background like shown in the I/O routing window. Notice the pan and width fader/slider have this but the main volume level doesn't. If all windows with fader/sliders could have this it would be perfect. The media browser volume, dynamic split window and transient detect controls could all benefit from this UI tweak.