Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #121
ReaDim
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Things are getting really complicated regarding the second point (CC routing).
Consider that you might want to have simultaneous notes (iow a chord) each being directed to a different channel. Easiest case: One of the notes stays on the original channel, the other one gets redirected. If channel-redirection of a note would simply redirect all CC to the new channel, then the other note would lose its CC automation.

If instead a duplicate of the CC would get routed to the new channel, then both would get their automation, but you wouldn't be able to give each note its own CC curve anymore.
What about two different options for changing channels:
1. Per not (as it is already realized) mode (note channel 6 * *) +bus
2. And a latch mod (track channel 6 * *) +bus
ReaDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #122
gofer
-blänk-

Where the track method would route all events to the other channel, including CC? And if you want "parallel channels" on a single track you'd choose "note" but need to care for the CC yourself?

Yep, I think that sounds reasonable. I could imagine there's benefit to gain from the possibility to mix both methods .

Edit:
Aside: It's been said, but can't hurt to repeat. It would be very helpful if events in piano roll view could indicate the channel they are routed to by articulation maps.

Last edited by gofer; 01-05-2017 at 10:02 AM.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #123
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
@hopi - for Reaper, octave offset is in Preferences->Media->MIDI. You'll want it at -1 to match with Kontakt.
thanks again ED... maybe that will help

still wondering about a strategy to use the artic's for instruments that include keyswitches other than the normal ones for strings...

I must not be grasping something because what I'm seeing is that for somethig like this [see below] we would have to type text into the notation view, which seems to me more tedious than just using keyswitch notes..

Quote:
note articulation "sustain vibrato": keyswitch *108 127
note articulation sustain: keyswitch * 107 127
note articulation "bend down": keyswitch * 106 127
note articulation "run octave down": keyswitch * 105 127

note articulation "run octave up": keyswitch * 97 127
note articulation Staccato: keyswitch * 104 127
note articulation Stab: keyswitch * 105 127
note articulation Doit: keyswitch * 96 127
note articulation Trill: keyswitch * 103 127
note articulation "Swell Short": keyswitch * 102 127
note articulation "Swell Long": keyswitch * 101 127
note articulation "Cresc Short": keyswitch * 100 127
note articulation "Cresc Long": keyswitch * 99 127
note articulation Overblown: keyswitch * 95 127
note articulation "Overblown Vibrato": keyswitch * 94 127
note articulation "Sub Tone": keyswitch * 89 127
note articulation "Rise To Hit": keyswitch * 92 127
note articulation "Slur Up": keyswitch * 91 127
note articulation Pow: keyswitch * 93 127
I look forward to your thoughts!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #124
gofer
-blänk-

Another thing that would be helpful to have (early, as it also helps testing):
Menu entries and actions to create a new and edit the currently loaded articulation map file.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #125
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I must not be grasping something because what I'm seeing is that for somethig like this [see below] we would have to type text into the notation view, which seems to me more tedious than just using keyswitch notes..
That articulation map won't load at present for a couple of reasons -- it needs whitespace before the : and the text articulations need to be specified as "note text stab" etc rather than "note articulation stab".

But if you fix those things and load the articulation map, you will then see all of your articulations appear as context menu actions in the notation editor and piano roll (in the piano roll when right-clicking a note, under "notation", or right-clicking the notation event lane, under "note").

In fact the loaded articulations are available as actions for shortcuts and toolbar buttons too, but there's no UI for assigning these yet.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #126
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
In fact the loaded articulations are available as actions for shortcuts and toolbar buttons too, but there's no UI for assigning these yet.
Oooh, nice Will toolbar buttons be able to show the clear name of the articulation they are currently triggering? I wouldn't really want to need to learn the chronology of all articulation files I might load
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #127
schwa
Administrator

Regarding latching triggers, I am thinking the most straightforward thing to do would just be to support triggering the channel and expression mappings from track notation. The mappings would then apply to all notes until the next track notation trigger occurs. For this to work we would also need a "clear track mappings" track message to turn off currently latched mappings.

The most straightforward way to have the latched track mappings interact with note mappings would be just to apply the track mapping first, then the note mapping.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #128
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Regarding latching triggers, I am thinking the most straightforward thing to do would just be to support triggering the channel and expression mappings from track notation. The mappings would then apply to all notes until the next track notation trigger occurs.

The most straightforward way to have the latched track mappings interact with note mappings would be just to apply the track mapping first, then the note mapping.
I was coincidentally dealing today with the necessity of latching triggers, among other things. If I get what you say right, a track mapping could be cleared both with a specific track message and also with a note mapping, isn´t it? If you meant that, I agree 100% with you since I´ve needed precisely that today, specifically with one of the Orange Tree Guitars which uses both types of triggers - I mean, I needed to clear the latching triggers with the non-latching ones - I solved the latch necessity momentarily with Bidule as a plugin, creating the latches inside of it...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 01-05-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Soli Deo Gloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #129
Soli Deo Gloria

Some further suggestions :

1) In the notation text lane, articulations are mixed with other types of notation events, which is anything but clear, I think, from the point of view of articulation handling. A dedicated articulation lane is really needed in my opinion.

2) The above statement leads me to think that some kind of lane similar to the media item lane would be very useful (with the ability to draw colored bars to cover the span of each articulation). I know that what I´m saying is also similar to the way Cubase deals with expression maps in its MIDI Editor, but I cannot think of a more convenient option. Such a lane could reflect the loaded articulation map, of course. I´m just thinking aloud, but maybe it´s worth considering it. Sorry if you have already explained somewhere that this is not going to happen for some reason...

3) Something simple : actions to insert/show contextual menu of each type of articulation and to remove them (I´m thinking about notation text when used to switch articulations, which doesn´t seem have its corresponding actions)

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 01-05-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #130
pcartwright

Quote:
Regarding latching triggers, I am thinking the most straightforward thing to do would just be to support triggering the channel and expression mappings from track notation. The mappings would then apply to all notes until the next track notation trigger occurs. For this to work we would also need a "clear track mappings" track message to turn off currently latched mappings.

Would track latch be a solution for notes without ornaments or articulations?
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #131
hopi

Quote:
That articulation map won't load at present for a couple of reasons -- it needs whitespace before the : and the text articulations need to be specified as "note text stab" etc rather than "note articulation stab".

But if you fix those things and load the articulation map, you will then see all of your articulations appear as context menu actions in the notation editor and piano roll (in the piano roll when right-clicking a note, under "notation", or right-clicking the notation event lane, under "note").

Thank you kindly sir... I'll go work on that and I appreciate the key word at the end, "yet"... makes me imagine there will be a way someday.

EDIT PS:

Do I understand this correctly: where you say use "note text stab" for example, I am thinking now it could be "note text sb" or stb or whatever, because whatever text comes after "note text ____ " will be the text that gets entered into the notation ... yes? so insted of Cresc Short I could use CrSh...

Hoping this is true

Last edited by hopi; 01-05-2017 at 06:02 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #132
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Some further suggestions :

1) In the notation text lane, articulations are mixed with other types of notation events, which is anything but clear, I think, from the point of view of articulation handling. A dedicated articulation lane is really needed in my opinion.

2) The above statement leads me to think that some kind of lane similar to the media item lane would be very useful (with the ability to draw colored bars to cover the span of each articulation). I know that what I´m saying is also similar to the way Cubase deals with expression maps in its MIDI Editor, but I cannot think of a more convenient option. Such a lane could reflect the loaded articulation map, of course. I´m just thinking aloud, but maybe it´s worth considering it. Sorry if you have already explained somewhere that this is not going to happen for some reason...

3) Something simple : actions to insert/show contextual menu of each type of articulation and to remove them (I´m thinking about notation text when used to switch articulations, which doesn´t seem have its corresponding actions)
I agree and 2) sounds like a great idea
Old 01-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #133
hopi

so sorry but some of the instructions are just too abstract for me...

need just an example that I can work from plz...

so...

"note text sus vib" : keyswitch * 108 127

is that the right format to work so that if sus vib is put into the notation ed. it will put an event in the notation lane that will cause midi note 108 to trigger?

if that is wrong, coould you please type in the proper version?

thanks much
Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #134
gofer
-blänk-

Almost
You need to be extra careful with the quotation marks. They need to be around the actual text you want inserted, but only if the text contains a space.
It would need to be:
Code:
note text "sus vib" : keyswitch * 108 127
But for a single word:
Code:
note text SusVib : keyswitch * 108 127
Hope this helps. Keep it up
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 AM   #135
paaltio

Quote:

I think this sounds good! Although it places some extra pressure for track notation to become a first-class citizen inside the piano roll. At the moment it doesn't seem to respond to nudge commands or move together with the notes after select all to name the first things that come to mind, but hopefully that's coming.

Also thinking forward, it'll be important for editing to be able to replicate the latest track notation at split points when editing. I think ideally this would be a native option in REAPER, as well as doing it for CC, effectively replicating Cubase's IMHO essential "Editing / MIDI / Split MIDI Controllers" preference. But as long as scripts can access the track notation to do this, it would work fine as a script-assisted feature as well.
paaltio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #136
hopi

thank you gofer! ya know you have been my saviour for so many years around here... best to ya
Old 01-06-2017, 01:25 AM   #137
EvilDragon

Quote:
Do I understand this correctly: where you say use "note text stab" for example, I am thinking now it could be "note text sb" or stb or whatever, because whatever text comes after "note text ____ " will be the text that gets entered into the notation ... yes? so insted of Cresc Short I could use CrSh...
It's better to use actual terms instead of shorthands... you want your notation to be readable to everyone. So, "stab" instead of "sb", "cresc" instead of "cr", etc.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 AM   #138
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaltio View Post
I think this sounds good! Although it places some extra pressure for track notation to become a first-class citizen inside the piano roll. At the moment it doesn't seem to respond to nudge commands or move together with the notes after select all to name the first things that come to mind, but hopefully that's coming.

Also thinking forward, it'll be important for editing to be able to replicate the latest track notation at split points when editing. I think ideally this would be a native option in REAPER, as well as doing it for CC, effectively replicating Cubase's IMHO essential "Editing / MIDI / Split MIDI Controllers" preference. But as long as scripts can access the track notation to do this, it would work fine as a script-assisted feature as well.
Totally agreed!!! It´s essential for articulation switches to be able to move with notes - the first example that comes to mind is humanization, of course -.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #139
Hafer

Why it's necessary to specify n_type? Seems to be irrelevant whether to 'text' or 'articulation' some note (despite generating right-click menu entries).

By the way, how to differentiate between "no" articulation and single-note specific (e.g. staccato) without to have to swith back and forth?
For example, in order to play a track "normal" with some staccatos in between I don't want to reset to "no" after every staccato note.

Last edited by Hafer; 01-06-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: brain meltdown
Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #140
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's better to use actual terms instead of shorthands... you want your notation to be readable to everyone. So, "stab" instead of "sb", "cresc" instead of "cr", etc.
good point... I'll do that for starters... fyi, I am getting this to work now, so thanks again for your kind help
Old 01-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #141
Commala

Quote:
Regarding latching triggers, I am thinking the most straightforward thing to do would just be to support triggering the channel and expression mappings from track notation.
Yes! I think that in the majority of cases (at least for me), I will have one instrument per track, so the channel can be enforced across the track (or perhaps per voice?). There are times when I might want to layer two different articulations, but for those times I could just set the second layer's channel manually, and have the articulation definitions specify a particular channel required to be active so they don't override what I've set manually.

Last edited by Commala; 01-06-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #142
hopi

Default why is this so frustrating....

Well... made some progress but now I'm really confused.

I got the various 'key switches' to work, using note text as the category
and those show up in the piano roll notation lane... but do not show up in the notation editor...

But now the main problem: Those articulations, which are really triggering keyswitches in the Kontakt instrument, have to be attached to a note or to many notes....

This becomes strange if you want to remove some of them, since the note itself gets deleted along with the event in the notation lane.

That is definately NOT what I want...

I want to be able to enter events in the notation lane that simply trigger keyswitches [midi note numbers] but are not attached to actual notes... rather they just live on their own... just as if they were a 'keyswitch note' on the mdi track.

So I want to be able to place these events in time, and selectable and movable, but not connected to anything. Possible???

I am at a loss to grasp what 'category' to use for that. Is there one?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #143
pcartwright

Quote:
Well... made some progress but now I'm really confused.

I got the various 'key switches' to work, using note text as the category
and those show up in the piano roll notation lane... but do not show up in the notation editor...

But now the main problem: Those articulations, which are really triggering keyswitches in the Kontakt instrument, have to be attached to a note or to many notes....

This becomes strange if you want to remove some of them, since the note itself gets deleted along with the event in the notation lane.

That is definately NOT what I want...

I want to be able to enter events in the notation lane that simply trigger keyswitches [midi note numbers] but are not attached to actual notes... rather they just live on their own... just as if they were a 'keyswitch note' on the mdi track.

So I want to be able to place these events in time, and selectable and movable, but not connected to anything. Possible???

I am at a loss to grasp what 'category' to use for that. Is there one?
I haven't followed all of your posts Hopi, but have you tried using "track" instead of "note" for your n_type?

I think a track map will do what you want.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #144
pcartwright

Regarding this:

Quote:
Notation editor: support for arbitrary track and note ornaments by entering text notation like "0xE567" for turn, etc (see http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/)
This has the potential to be a very power feature. Might I suggest the following:

First, can we combine these hex values with other characters/hex values to create something that appears in the notation view like this:

D♮ C♯ B♭ | E♮ F♯ G♮ A♭
(this is a harp tuning BTW).

Users could simply use # and b for sharps and flats, but using the actual notation font would be much more elegant. I imagine there could be a large number of uses for a feature like this.

Second, can the note or track text menu display the actual symbol and/or a separate description instead of the hex value.

Thus, a text entry of 0xE567 would display an actual turn symbol and/or a description supplied by the user in the map file (probably "turn").
Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #145
MorkV

Hello!
How can i add notation text(which in my ReaperArticMap) on a toolbar for easy access? For articulation and ornament Reaper has special actions. What to do?
And I would want to see Action which clears any of notation events.
And words "text", "articulation", etc creates illegibility on a notation events line, especially when many notes.
MorkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #146
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
I haven't followed all of your posts Hopi, but have you tried using "track" instead of "note" for your n_type?

I think a track map will do what you want.
I 'think' I tried that yesterday... if I did it correctly... have a look plz
Quote:
track "sustain vibrato" : keyswitch * 108 127
track sustain : keyswitch * 107 127
track "bend down" : keyswitch * 106 127
track "run octave down" : keyswitch * 98 127
track "run octave up" : keyswitch * 97 127
track Staccato : keyswitch * 104 127
track Stab : keyswitch * 105 127
track Doit : keyswitch * 96 127
track Trill : keyswitch * 103 127
track "Swell Short" : keyswitch * 102 127
track "Swell Long" : keyswitch * 101 127
track "Cresc Short" : keyswitch * 100 127
track "Cresc Long" : keyswitch * 99 127
track Overblown : keyswitch * 95 127
track "Overblown Vibrato" : keyswitch * 94 127
track "Sub Tone" : keyswitch * 89 127
track "Rise To Hit" : keyswitch * 92 127
track "Slur Up" : keyswitch * 91 127
track Pow : keyswitch * 93 127
Is there anything wrong with my formatting?

I would expect to get a list of those in the piano roll notation lane but I do not... I'd expect to also get a list in the notation view editor but I do not.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #147
Janne83

Quote:
I 'think' I tried that yesterday... if I did it correctly... have a look plz

Is there anything wrong with my formatting?

I would expect to get a list of those in the piano roll notation lane but I do not... I'd expect to also get a list in the notation view editor but I do not.
Youve left out the articulation type (after note or track)

As an example:

note text pizzicato : keyswitch * 96 127

or

note articulation staccato : keyswitch * 96 127

or

track dynamics fff : keyswitch 1 105 127
Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #148
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkV View Post
Hello!
How can i add notation text(which in my ReaperArticMap) on a toolbar for easy access? For articulation and ornament Reaper has special actions. What to do?
And I would want to see Action which clears any of notation events.
And words "text", "articulation", etc creates illegibility on a notation events line, especially when many notes.
Regarding your question about notation text on a toolbar, I think that the note text articulations loaded in a map should have to be reported as actions in Reaper´s action list to be loaded on a toolbar, but please somebody correct me if I´m wrong. Apart from that, having dedicated actions to insert/remove text articulations with shortcuts is a must; I hope Schwa can attend this suggestion since it would speed up our workflow immensely.

I also agree that it should be possible to clear the visual clutter caused by many articulations. Also, the ability to copy/cut and paste articulations would be a quite useful addition, too. Needless to say, all of my suggestions arise out of necessity since I´m already working with this and it rapidly becomes evident that certain features can ease the repetitive tasks when you have to deal with busy and complex orchestral/pseudo-orchestral parts with lots of articulation changes...
Old 01-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #149
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
dedicated actions to insert/remove text articulations with shortcuts is a must
I don't know what you mean by text articulations exactly. There is the action "Insert text notation..." but I didn't realize this could insert text articulations... but if that's what you meant, there are separate actions to delete "text notation" (aka text articulation?) vs glyph articulation. It'd be good to be clear though about text articulations, I wasn't aware that those existed. I think text notation includes chord texts

Or do you mean text ornaments? If so there appears to be an action now that does work to delete text ornaments and not other ornaments, called "Notation: delete note text ornament". At least since pre 9.

I know, you blink and you miss it right?

Last edited by Commala; 01-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #150
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
Youve left out the articulation type (after note or track)

As an example:

note text pizzicato : keyswitch * 96 127

or

note articulation staccato : keyswitch * 96 127

or

track dynamics fff : keyswitch 1 105 127
thanks... so should I have this:

track dynamics Overblown : keyswitch * 95 127

????

or plz take what I have as

and correct it as a typed line...
thanks again
Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #151
Janne83

Quote:
thanks... so should I have this:

track dynamics Overblown : keyswitch * 95 127

????

or plz take what I have as

and correct it as a typed line...
thanks again
You have to connect it with the available articulations in Reaper (find them in right click menu of the notation editor- you have articulations, text phrases/slurs,...)

The dynamics is track based and can refer to the set options in the menu: ppp, pp, up to ffff

For your example overblown i would use the text ornament option

track text Overblown : keyswitch * 95 127

And then just simply add a text ornament named Overblown via the notation menu (there is also an action fo inserting text ornaments)

Also hav a look at the sample map located under Reaper resources path/ArticulationMaps. there are quite a few examples in there
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #152
pcartwright

Quote:
track text Overblown : keyswitch * 95 127
Also, I think track articulations must have a channel assignment (no * allowed). So this text map wouldn't work.

This should send a keyswitch to channel 1 at note 95 with a velocity of 127 whenever text value of Overblown is given:

track text Overblown : keyswitch 0 95 127
Old 01-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #153
TryingToMakeMusic
Banned

Quote:
You have to connect it with the available articulations in Reaper
Cockos, please remove this limitation and allow us to define custom articulations? Some orchestral libraries offer an array of articulations which won't correspond well with any predefined list based in the notation-editor. For example, Orchestral Tools:

TryingToMakeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #154
pcartwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToMakeMusic View Post
Cockos, please remove this limitation and allow us to define custom articulations? Some orchestral libraries offer an array of articulations which won't correspond well with any predefined list based in the notation-editor.
This feature will do just that:
Quote:
Notation editor: support for arbitrary track and note ornaments by entering text notation like "0xE567" for turn, etc (see http://www.smufl.org/version/latest/)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #155
hopi

thanks janne for the kind care and help... you explaination has made some of the misunderstanding more clear...

what you have told me now lets me see that I am limited to using the various symbols allowed for track dynamics, and that I can assign a given midi note value to them... and, if I get it correctly now, those are the limititation I'd have to obey.

and... while this may be OK for some Kontakt instruments, it is less than ideal for others... this wouild be more clear when looking at the various names and kinds of keyswitches that can be involved. How confusing it would become to see whatever, say a pp on one track that triggers something there but on another track it triggers something entirely different.

Now for me personally it's not a huge thing... I've been looking into this for one of my son's [30 year old muscian\composer]... who writes in Sibelius and now wants to orchestral with better sounds in Reaper.

My [apparent] fantasy was that keyswitches by midi notes could be avoided and that he would now be able to write them directly on the score and then import as MIDI XML files... load the matching articulation map and instrument and have it all work.

Maybe I'm still confused but ATM it is looking to me that in many cases it's going to be better to just do it with keyswitch midi notes on the track.

Darn... I hope I'm wrong... %^)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #156
Janne83

Quote:
Also, I think track articulations must have a channel assignment (no * allowed). So this text map wouldn't work.

This should send a keyswitch to channel 1 at note 95 with a velocity of 127 whenever text value of Overblown is given:

track text Overblown : keyswitch 0 95 127
Here with kontakt they work also with the *
Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #157
TryingToMakeMusic
Banned

Quote:
This feature will do just that:
Thanks.
TryingToMakeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #158
Janne83

Quote:
thanks janne for the kind care and help... you explaination has made some of the misunderstanding more clear...

what you have told me now lets me see that I am limited to using the various symbols allowed for track dynamics, and that I can assign a given midi note value to them... and, if I get it correctly now, those are the limititation I'd have to obey.

and... while this may be OK for some Kontakt instruments, it is less than ideal for others... this wouild be more clear when looking at the various names and kinds of keyswitches that can be involved. How confusing it would become to see whatever, say a pp on one track that triggers something there but on another track it triggers something entirely different.

Now for me personally it's not a huge thing... I've been looking into this for one of my son's [30 year old muscian\composer]... who writes in Sibelius and now wants to orchestral with better sounds in Reaper.

My [apparent] fantasy was that keyswitches by midi notes could be avoided and that he would now be able to write them directly on the score and then import as MIDI XML files... load the matching articulation map and instrument and have it all work.

Maybe I'm still confused but ATM it is looking to me that in many cases it's going to be better to just do it with keyswitch midi notes on the track.

Darn... I hope I'm wrong... %^)
Well thats the point of articulation maps- you predefine a map that corresponds to various changes in keyswitches, channels, ccs via different articulations and ornaments (that are visible in the notation- thats the difference in comparison with direct key switches). But it requires some work the first time to set it up (its no different in cubase, though it has a fancier interface). Later you only load the articulation map and it should work directly with the set parameters.

also this option opens more ornaments:

Its still in the prerelease cycle so im sure things will get added (like latch for continuous playback, etc)

Last edited by Janne83; 01-07-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #159
schwa
Administrator

BTW, I expect the articulation mapping feature will take several prerelease cycles to get feature-complete enough to be generally useful. Most likely, we will remove this development feature for the official 5.32 release.

The feedback so far has been very helpful!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #160
pcartwright

Quote:
BTW, I expect the articulation mapping feature will take several prerelease cycles to get feature-complete enough to be generally useful. Most likely, we will remove this development feature for the official 5.32 release.
Understandable.

Quote:
The feedback so far has been very helpful!
Good!

As an aside, I used to be heavily involved in the Notion forum especially in the area of articulation mapping a.k.a. playback rules. Notion had a really unique vision when Notion 3 came out, but it seems they went off kilter shortly there after. There was a time when Notion released regular bug fixes and engaged with their users, but that changed at some point (even before the acquisition by Presonus). It was disappointing because Notion really is a joy to use for composition and orchestration, but they never really fulfilled their vision of making the product fully usable with third party libraries.

All that said, I appreciate the continued engagement between Reaper's dev team and its users.

A feature like the articulation mapping will help minimize a lot of the mundane aspects of digital composition and arranging, so kudos for your work and I look forward to seeing this feature progress.