Old 07-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
Norseman14
Human being with feelings

Default Afraid to ask for help

I'm always afraid to ask for help as a newbie because people jump all over you and point out that there's already a thread for the issue you're having. That being said, I promise you I have exhausted all searches ...I've watched numerous videos, read countless threads in this forum ...and STILL I can't resolve my problem.

I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen. I'm running Windows 10 - 64bit.

I've loaded the Focusrite Control Software, the ASIO4All driver (I believe) and the Reaper application.

Focusrite Control - 3.6.0.1822
ASIO4ALL_2_14_English
reaper632_x64-install

I've went to Options -> Audio -> Device and made sure it is setup according to the tutorials.

I've checked that neither the "guitar track" I've created nor the Master track are muted.

I've tried many various configuration with my computer sound.

After all of this - for days now - I STILL cannot get a usable sound from this.

Here's a little more info:
The computer definitely recorded my little guitar snippet - I can see activity when I play the track. At one point while I had the track on a loop, I decided to just re-run the Focusrite Control install. If you simply re-run that install, it uninstalls itself. While it did this the first time, I heard the guitar track CRYSTAL CLEAR - just the dry guitar track that I'm trying to start with. But then once it completed, Reaper through up an error that said something like "no audio output hardware detected" or something like that.

Since that happened, whenenver I try to re-run that Focusrite install, instead of hearing the track perfectly, I hear some nasty loud feedback.

I'm about to give up on Reaper, but I figured I would make a post here and see if anyone can help. I wish Reaper had like a help desk ...if they can get this working, I'll definitely buy the software. But as of now it's not looking like that'll happen.

Any help is appreciated!
Norseman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
jrk

First question: why are you using ASIO4ALL?
Surely the focusrite driver affords ASIO?
Old 07-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
toleolu

First and foremost, never worry about asking questions, especially here since, for the most part, everyone on this forum is very helpful.

I use a Presonus interface so I'm not very familiar with the Scarlet products but a lot of people here use them and they work well. So I will defer to them on this next part.

I looked on their website and I'm curious if when you install the Focusrite Control software does it give you option to only install the driver? The only reason I ask is because looking at the description for that software, it appears that it does a lot of things with routing and levels that Reaper already does, so I was just wondering if there's something in that Control software that might be conflicting with Reaper.

Also, you said you thought the driver was Asio4all. If that's what comes with the Scarlett interface, that's fine, but usually the manufacturer drivers just say ASIO. (Or something similar) I don't know if that is an issue in your case, but I have seen posts here in the past where users had trouble with the ASIO4All drivers.

Finally, when you say you're not getting any usable sound out, could you better describe what you mean? Does that mean you're getting something out, but it sounds like crap? If so, what is your playback device? If it's a sound card in your PC, there may be software for that sound card that contains effects and other settings that could mess with your audio.

Reaper works for what you're doing and the gear you're using, it's just that like most software, the initial setup can be a bit tricky at times.

Post as much detail as you can about what you are experiencing and the people here will get you going.

Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Norseman14

I’m not home and at my computer to give best details so I might be a little off with some of this response:

I was just following a video tutorial on how to setup/use the Scarlet 2i2 and it said install the ASIO driver. There are 3 things the Focusrite Control software installs: USB driver, Thunderbolt driver and the Focusrite Control app. I’ve tried uninstalling and manually installing one of them at a time and I’ve tried installing just combinations and get no results.

If I go to options -> device and choose “Windows sound” or whatever that option is, I get some loud squealing feedback. If I reinstall the Focusrite while the track is on a loop I also get that feedback. If I try and bring all the volume levels down as low as I can, I can just about make out the guitar in the background behind the squealing. That’s what I mean by no usable sound.

I read in another thread that I CANNOT use my computer speakers to monitor/work on tracks with Scarlet audio interface using the ASIO driver. So maybe I just have to wait til I get some headphones. I have some active speakers at work I can bring home too to test but I’m away until next week.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
sonicowl

This will be a hard one to make it work this way, sorry, you seem to be too far from making it work. May I suggest you get someone in person to set it up for you. Maybe a friend can help. Or take it to music service shop, they can set it up for you and show you how to use it. Or get on Teamviewer session with someone to set it up remotely.

A tip: reinstalling again and again will do nothing, drivers install once and work fine. You just need to set it up properly.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman14 View Post
I’m not home and at my computer to give best details so I might be a little off with some of this response:

I was just following a video tutorial on how to setup/use the Scarlet 2i2 and it said install the ASIO driver. There are 3 things the Focusrite Control software installs: USB driver, Thunderbolt driver and the Focusrite Control app. I’ve tried uninstalling and manually installing one of them at a time and I’ve tried installing just combinations and get no results.

If I go to options -> device and choose “Windows sound” or whatever that option is, I get some loud squealing feedback. If I reinstall the Focusrite while the track is on a loop I also get that feedback. If I try and bring all the volume levels down as low as I can, I can just about make out the guitar in the background behind the squealing. That’s what I mean by no usable sound.

I read in another thread that I CANNOT use my computer speakers to monitor/work on tracks with Scarlet audio interface using the ASIO driver. So maybe I just have to wait til I get some headphones. I have some active speakers at work I can bring home too to test but I’m away until next week.
To confirm, is the Saphire connected USB or Thunderbolt?

Go into Preferences/Device the first thing you see just below "Audio device settings" is "Audio system" with a pull down menu.

Click on that menu and select the ASIO.

Below that you will see ASIO Driver with a pull down menu. That will list all the AZIO drivers Reaper sees on your computer. You should see the Focusrite drivers in there.

When you select the right Focusrite ASIO driver for your system. Put a check in "Enable inputs". Below that you will see what inputs and outputs you have available to you based on the driver you selected.

If the Output range only lists outputs from the Saphire, then I don't think you're going to be able to use your computer speakers. I think you need to use a different Audio system settings to tell Reaper to output to your computer speakers. If you change that though, it might mess up your inputs.

Again, I'm just going by my Presonus interface, the Saphires may be different. But I'm sure this is going to be an easy fix.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
toleolu

FWIW

I don't know what your recording/mixing requirements and expectations are, but a set of monitor speakers is a pretty good investment.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get something decent.

Just a suggestion.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman14 View Post
I'm always afraid to ask for help as a newbie because people jump all over you and point out that there's already a thread for the issue you're having. That being said, I promise you I have exhausted all searches ...I've watched numerous videos, read countless threads in this forum ...and STILL I can't resolve my problem.

I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen. I'm running Windows 10 - 64bit.

I've loaded the Focusrite Control Software, the ASIO4All driver (I believe) and the Reaper application.

Focusrite Control - 3.6.0.1822
ASIO4ALL_2_14_English
reaper632_x64-install

I've went to Options -> Audio -> Device and made sure it is setup according to the tutorials.

I've checked that neither the "guitar track" I've created nor the Master track are muted.

I've tried many various configuration with my computer sound.

After all of this - for days now - I STILL cannot get a usable sound from this.

Here's a little more info:
The computer definitely recorded my little guitar snippet - I can see activity when I play the track. At one point while I had the track on a loop, I decided to just re-run the Focusrite Control install. If you simply re-run that install, it uninstalls itself. While it did this the first time, I heard the guitar track CRYSTAL CLEAR - just the dry guitar track that I'm trying to start with. But then once it completed, Reaper through up an error that said something like "no audio output hardware detected" or something like that.

Since that happened, whenenver I try to re-run that Focusrite install, instead of hearing the track perfectly, I hear some nasty loud feedback.

I'm about to give up on Reaper, but I figured I would make a post here and see if anyone can help. I wish Reaper had like a help desk ...if they can get this working, I'll definitely buy the software. But as of now it's not looking like that'll happen.

Any help is appreciated!
seems to me that might be using asio4all as your audio system in Reaper? - if so, i'm guessing this is set to your (default) windows mic & speakers, in the asio4all control panel, which would explain the poor sound & feedback.

your best solution is to scrap asio4all & plug speakers into your focusrite, but if you do want to use asio4all, make sure it's set up correctly
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
ts335

Norseman - Have you checked out these from Focusrite?

First get Focusrite Control setup properly.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...usrite-Control

Then look at the specific guide for Reaper configuration.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...er-setup-guide

I have the Scarlette 4i4 and this helped me get it setup. I would try to get some headphones if you don't have monitors and use the Focusrite ASIO driver instead of ASIO4All.

Hope this helps you get rolling.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
Bazzbass

I have both the Scarlett 2i2 and the 18i20

the 2i2 does not use the control software,only the 18i20, perhaps this is the cause?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:19 AM   #11
jrk

Way to shill an essay mill, ronron.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:29 AM   #12
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron View Post
Never be afraid to ask for help. I do remember the time when I was a student and I always asked for help with my assignments. I used resources like SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM/ which helped great.
No more Ron!
Pink Wool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #13
Norseman14

Default Lesson learned

Ok thanks for the help. Once I was told there’s no way to use my PC speakers, I got headphones and external monitor speakers connected to my Focusrite and now I’m up and running.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #14
bigtop

Pls Mark thread as solved.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #15
Norseman14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Pls Mark thread as solved.

Cheers
I don’t see how to do that now LOL
Old 08-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #16
DarkStar

Edit the first post, click on [Go Advanced] than edit the thread title.