Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #41
Tim Rideout
Human being with feelings

Thanks so mush for this amazing post!

Here's another interesting question: this is all fine for audio - but what about when we introduce a MIDI situation? I have found when compensation for audio latency, it's a different situation for MIDI latency.

Is this maybe where the "input latency" adjustment comes in?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-28-2017, 06:52 AM   #42
Sympol

Default Latency

Hi,
Very much a newbie and would appreciate some help on latency issues. I'm running Windows 10 Pro with a Behringer UMC204HD USB audio interface and Reaper 5.6 (upgraded yesterday).
Started playing around with recording my bass guitar through the Behringer against a pre-recorded click track and immediately noticed a large delay on the bass. Read through the wiki article referenced here and checked my ASIO configuration and found it was set to 2048 samples. Changed this to the lowest I could (64 samples) and running the CEntrance latency checker reported 324 samples/7.35ms. However, back to Reaper and found the guitar was now distorting horribly. Upped the ASIO to 128 samples, which CEntrance reported as 580 samples. The guitar sounded better at this setting. Currently have the ASIO set to 256 samples which seemed a good compromise.
Then performed the test described here - created a click source track, then used a microphone up against one monitor speaker. Compared the offset and it appeared to be in the order of 170 samples - the mike click seemed to start at the same instant that the click source click ended.
I then tried inputting this value in the Reaper preferences as described (170 samples in the input manual offset and turning off use audio driver latency) and repeating the test but this only seemed to increase the delay to around 350 samples. Tried changing to a negative number (-170) but this made it worse again - up to around 500 samples. I've now gone back to the default setting of using the audio driver reported latency.
I don't seem to be able to get rid of that 170 samples latency.....
Have I missed something or am I stuck with that?
Any comments much appreciated, thanks
Sympol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #43
Cosmic

Aw man this thread needs to be bumped.

I just did this and to my shock and horror discovered I've been recording wonky the whole time

Respect to the OP
Old 01-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #44
Tecterra

Default 2019 and counting

Here I am in 2019 and still appreciating your post. What a fantastic way to accurately measure latency!
Thank you!!
Tecterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #45
mrthnmn

The problem I seem to be having, compensating for latency, in tutu, is that I measure and adjust for the total latency as measured live against a click track, and every time I record, the latency has changed. Readjust and it changes again.

Reaper 5.971 on Ubuntu 16.04

- Bruce
mrthnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #46
Lokasenna

Could be a weird interface, or even something weird on Linux (I can barely manage to get all of the ins and outs of my interface working on Ubuntu Studio, haven't even tried to deal with latency).
Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #47
mrthnmn

It appears all my problems have been that I started with a new ("2nd gen") Focusrite interface and computers with no USB 3 ports. Buying a new Windows computer solved the problems there. I haven't tried a new Linux laptop but I'm sure it's the lack of USB 3 that's causing latency problems, no matter the OS.
mrthnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #48
hopi

Beautiful job on this Loka.... thankfully I don't need to change mine but someday... who knows... %^)
Old 08-05-2019, 05:42 AM   #49
nightoul

Hi there, this will perhaps be a silly question but why does the settings read 8 x 128 samples in here?

https://ibb.co/jzkN5Tj

I'm normally using ASIO driver but in this WaveOut window, the buffer size settings is different. Does it mean just 128 samples? What does the "8x" mean in this context? Thank you!
nightoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #50
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightoul View Post
Hi there, this will perhaps be a silly question but why does the settings read 8 x 128 samples in here?

https://ibb.co/jzkN5Tj

I'm normally using ASIO driver but in this WaveOut window, the buffer size settings is different. Does it mean just 128 samples? What does the "8x" mean in this context? Thank you!
It's using multiple buffers. I'm not sure what the benefit is versus using one though; probably something to do with efficiency or threads, etc.

As for what it's specifically saying:
8 x 128 samples / 44100 Hz = 23.2ms
Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #51
Norton

Great post, thanks! I've been having latency problems when trying to record guitar while monitoring the click track through Reaper. I'm going to check my buffer size when I get home tonight.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #52
JohnnyMusic

Default Please help clarify a latency question

Wow this OP is 10 years old! Still useful!

I've been using the driver reported latency and not bothering further with it but came upon this thread and decided to fine tune my latency, since I am doing a lot of tracking for a project.

I tested by routing the inserted click source track out of my interface (a motu 828x) and back into three different inputs to record it: The 828x built in pre-amp, 828x without the preamp, and motu 8 pre expansion converter with built in preamp. The latencies I got were pretty small: 153, 133, and 150 samples respectively. Is the lower latency with the no preamp test because the preamp adds latency?

In the case of audio, (I monitor through my interface for recording guitar, bass, vocals etc), so my question is:
1) should I take 1/2 of the 133 samples (66.5) to use for manual offset, to compensate for the playback latency since when I am recording, since I am only listening to playback of the recorded tracks through reaper and not input or does the time for input also need to be included because it is taking this extra little bit of time to process the audio input (bass for example- confusing!?

2)As an aside I noticed recently that when I recorded bass di and also through a sansamp , the sansamp signal was recorded slightly later (can't remember how many samples right now but I can check)Edit: it was about 70 samples later. Edit 2: I should note I had the signal go through a tuner first then out the tuner out to the sansamp and the parallel out on the tuner to the interface, so I shouldn't assume those 2 outputs are the same.

3) Should I use input or output offset (I tend to think output since it is just with playback but I don't know if that makes sense)?

4) I haven't tested midi yet but I will be tracking some parts by playing through a VST for some tracks, any advice for latency in that situation? Will I want to use both the input and output latency since I will be monitoring the VST live?

Thanks for any advice!
John

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 10-05-2019 at 04:29 PM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #53
JohnnyMusic

Default Can anyone help with my questions about latency settings? Thanks!

Please see my last post.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote