Old 01-07-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
Mage
Human being with feelings

Default Why Reaper

I had the moment when I uninstalled Reaper. It didn’t take me a year to get there but twenty minutes. After the first installation, there was a noise. I still don’t know, why, but I thought Reaper was a bad joke.

Besides, I didn’t like the name and the logo.

Later, when I had enough of Ableton Live’s training of my iMac’s cooling system, the sound distortion of Logic, and the worst support ever in the audio world from Steinberg, I gave Reaper another try.

Soon, I got enlightened. Reaper is one of the smartest software I’ve ever used. I still tried to look at other DAWs, for example, Studio One. I can’t imagine working without the features Reaper offers. If I had to name one, I would pick the subprojects.

Now I’m trying to tell myself that at least the scythe isn’t back. (Except for the forum logo.)

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LearningCurve.jpg (61.3 KB, 331 views)
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Not_Here

Your learning curve...
Perfect.

God, that was hilarious...
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
mamazai

No problem ugly GUI but cursors and fx slots are weak, plugins are poor quality ( especially js 1073, pultec, 1175...etc), trashy stupid scripts, useless playlist and no instrument or loop library but Reaper is working fluently. I think he's doing a lot of things sketchy, but he's working fluently. I have no hope that it will change and develop but maybe it's more useful. Since 2009...

No problem unless it's worse. There are tons of 3rd party plugin and instruments, if you know how to make a mix or play instruments, it's enough.

Meanwhile automation items feature is incredible. Perhaps this is the best part of Reaper, super tool. A script called -envelope based Compressor- really good tool but need to be developed and built-in, so stock Reaper plugin.

Last edited by mamazai; 01-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Your learning curve...
Perfect.

God, that was hilarious...
that one is made by Admiral Bumblebee
Old 01-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
It's hard to argue against this statement.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
Not_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
It's hard to argue against this statement.
Not hard at all to pose an argument.
Reaper is aptly named as it provides a medium to sow your creative ideas and grow them into a complete work. It provides a mean to harvest your talent, and the Scythe is a symbol of that harvest.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
enroe

Quote:
Reaper is aptly named as it provides a medium to sow your creative
ideas and grow them into a complete work. It provides a mean to
harvest your talent, and the Scythe is a symbol of that harvest.
Ohhyeah, well said!
Old 01-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Not hard at all to pose an argument.
Reaper is aptly named as it provides a medium to sow your creative ideas and grow them into a complete work. It provides a mean to harvest your talent, and the Scythe is a symbol of that harvest.
Excellent description!

I can't see why a name or logo would stop you from using a piece of software. Who gives a rat's dinger about the name or logo? Provided it does what you want, that is all that is important.

I mean Pro Tools for example, in some countries being a 'Tool' or even worse a 'Pro Tool' is not a good thing lol
Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
Cliffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
Excellent description!

I can't see why a name or logo would stop you from using a piece of software. Who gives a rat's dinger about the name or logo? Provided it does what you want, that is all that is important.

I mean Pro Tools for example, in some countries being a 'Tool' or even worse a 'Pro Tool' is not a good thing lol
True.

I spotted a dj oriented software called 'Deck Heads' an accent shift could certainly change the mood there.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
Not_Here

I always wonder about the 100% negative post that anybody takes the time to write...

I wonder if I "quoted the post" then gloriously exclaimed how the post has opened my eyes and I will now give up everything that I have invested and produced and learned. Yep I have seen the light, and in an instant, because of a post from a random negative human; I'll fall to my knee's crying at the total and utter paradigm shift in my world, and quit using Reaper.

Is that what that type of post is looking for?

I am so glad that I knew nothing of the negative opinions (which I'm actually ok with everyone having their own opinions and I respect them) regarding Reaper.

I look back at the first night I installed and opened a project. Holy Crap yes, I was lost in Reapers functions and layout. I never bothered to consider the others who were down on Reaper as a DAW. I just started and as I hit something I didn't know how to do, I asked or consulted the ReaVerend Kenny vids, Unofficial Reaper Blog, participated in the Reaper Mix Contest, PLAP, Pro Mix Academy, Nail the Mix, and many other places.
Now a year later and I see I still have much to learn, but that is not to say I need to learn everything today. I have a great "personalized" version of Reaper. It has grown right along with me and NOT held me back at all. Is my Reaper Experience your Reaper Experience? nope. That's why I like it. Everyone ends up with a personalized version that molds itself to an individuals needs. It am Borg. You will be assimilated....

I guess if anybody doesn't like it, well then don't use it. It's not going to affect my experience and satisfaction with it. It's a winner winner chicken dinner in my book.

IMHO
YMMV

Last edited by Not_Here; 01-07-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #11
Philbo King

That graph is great! Say, have you been drawing stock market graphs? It looks pretty similar...
Old 01-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
zabukowski

Ahahahahaha, awesome, awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
I had the moment when I uninstalled Reaper. It didn’t take me a year to get there but twenty minutes. After the first installation, there was a noise. I still don’t know, why, but I thought Reaper was a bad joke.

Later, when I had enough of Ableton Live’s training of my iMac’s cooling system, the sound distortion of Logic, and the worst support ever in the audio world from Steinberg, I gave Reaper another try.

Soon, I got enlightened. Reaper is one of the smartest software I’ve ever used. I still tried to look at other DAWs, for example, Studio One. I can’t imagine working without the features Reaper offers. If I had to name one, I would pick the subprojects.

Now I’m trying to tell myself that at least the scythe isn’t back. (Except for the forum logo.)

Cheers.
zabukowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:49 AM   #13
Bazzbass

lots of idiots pay big bucks for DAWs that look pretty......

I don't care what it LOOKS LIKE, I care about HOW it DOES THINGS

love your learning curve, mine includes tube wave rides too