Old 08-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #81
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
S
2) Those who used (actually used) Pro Tools before, how do you cope with it?
Hi there. PT user from 6.4 to 8. I was at one time 'Pro School' certified and drank all the kool-aid. Fully switched to reaper in 2011.

I didn't like the takes at first but don't have a problem with them now.

You just learn how it works and get on with it, finding whatever shortcuts help along the way.
better than complaining
Old 08-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #82
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
there are also complaints that are more about wanting to have what one was used to in another DAW regardless of efficiency. Meaning that efficiency is muscle memory of something previously learned which any person will be frustrated with at first.
This excuse again. While I'm sure there are some people out there who just want what they are used to, that's not the case for me. I've been very vocal about my dislike for the takes system. But guess what? My first DAW was Vegas Audio 2.0. I tried Pro Tools 7 for a few weeks and never warmed to it. You know where I went then? Reaper. I've been using it for a decade. Muscle memory has nothing to do with it. It's just not an ideal Takes system, but I know how to use it and deal with it (on a daily basis).

Quote:
Also, the new hotness is to do a boatload of takes, then create 75 slice and dice comped versions of those takes trying to somehow assemble some 'perfect' result. Many here don't have a choice in that process as paying clients have been trained to want this and are paying the mixer/engineer to do it - whaddaya gonna do?
What am I gonna do? What my client wants me to do.

Quote:
Personally, I think that just homogenizes music to be even more boring but that's been occurring for decades at this point and it surely isn't going to change anytime soon.
I would totally agree that it homogenizes music, but I've had some very talented musicians prove that theory wrong. Hell, if I had my way I would be recording rock bands to 8-track analog. Whaddaya gonna do?
Old 08-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #83
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
This excuse again. While I'm sure there are some people out there who just want what they are used to, that's not the case for me.
It's clear in my post that I don't assume everyone but some which you also agree with above. And we agreed about your use cases long ago, that has never changed - What I'm not going to do is insert "except for citizenkeith" every time I mention just to keep from triggering you.

Quote:
What am I gonna do? What my client wants me to do.
I literally say that in the paragraph you quoted as well as a second time further down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic
All that said, the takes system is what one makes of it, but... based on who's paying them to do what
There was no reason to reply to me there and argue a point I already made for you.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #84
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
There was no reason to reply to me there and argue a point I already made for you.

It wasn't my only point.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #85
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
Sorry for my possibly dry tone...
If you're sorry for something, there is an Edit button and always a choice to remain courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Pig View Post
I realize I'm being baited [...] you are a poor whiny boy. Excuse the dry tone.
Excuse that we don't need any tone of this kind at all. [/thread]
Closed Thread