Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

View Poll Results: Should the JS source code be opened for the community?
Yes 9 47.37%
No 3 15.79%
Yes, in a less restrictive license (LGPL) so it can be commercialized in a closed way too. 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Ugorox
Human being with feelings

Default Release the source

Ok, did Jesusonic just stop evolving? the last news post is from january 2006. I still got that problem with Linux version.

Why not release the source code and let the community (like me) help on the evolution of js?
Ugorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
jamieskeen

wow!! I'm the only one who has looked at this??
jamieskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Ugorox

i dont know the reasons why JS should NOT be open sourced. I mean, both COCKOS and users would be benefited from it.

From the point of view of COCKOS, Jesusonic would be bug safed, because the community itself would correct the bugs, and would be ported to many different platforms, shipped on multimedia Linux distributions (such as ArtistX, a live-cd that brings many open multimedia applications), so it would be widely used!
The other softwares that uses JS, like REAPER, may still have their sources closed, if COCKOS release the source on a less restrictive license like LGPL (GNU LEsser General Public License) or BSD, or MPL, in witch you can use a third part software (in case JS) on your closed source software (in case REAPER) if you dont touch the original code.
You can even sell it!

From the point of view of the community, it would be using (and i mean *freely* using) a very good software that is cared by people who are interested in the success of it(like myself, i just love JS) and are continuing correcting and improving it.

resuming, back to COCKOS, it can just supply JS project with a version control, let the community do the work and take care of evolving the other projects, healthily (i dont know if it is even a word, english is not my mother language, im brazilian =D) using the JS library.

there is just my suggestion, i hope i made it more clear for everybody.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Ugorox

Cmon! anybody?
Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Ugorox

LET
ME
C O N T R I B U T E
Old 04-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugorox View Post
LET
ME
C O N T R I B U T E
Got a link to some JS FX you have coded?
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Leitmotif

I agree.

Though, I have no probs with the standalone JS or the "experimental" DX plug. Infact, I don't really use the standalone, but I use the DX plug quite a lot in GoldWave. And it works fine. But it does need updating. At the very least, it'd be good if it would ignore errors related to GUI/gfx. As it is, I get warnings, but the fx work. It'd be nice to not even get warnings.

The one prob I can see with open-source JS is that JS is majorly built into Reaper. What happens when users develop the standalone JS beyond the one in Reaper? Certain features will need translating from the open-source standalone JS into Reaper's JS. That's a lot of work, a lot of confusion and a lot of people whining on the forums about how the standalone version now does this-and-that but J&C still haven't got round to adding that functionality to Reaper's JS. In all seriousness, they need to devote their time to fixing bugs that are still in Reaper after several updates and not being whinned at about JS functionality.

Because of that, I can't see J&C agreeing. But any open-source movement is a good thing. The question is will it be more trouble than it's worth (from J&C's viewpoint)?

I did vote YES, though.

I do think an update to the standalone JS (and DX etc) is overdue, but it seems to me the simplest solution would be that J&C work on resolving the bugs in Reaper and not adding functionality per-se for the next update to Reaper, then take some time-out from Reaper to bring the standalone/DX/WA JS up-to-speed.

Last edited by Leitmotif; 04-28-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Leitmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
mbncp

Thinking about it, what would be even more useful is a JS -> VST converter.

The idea would be to create a VST(i) project (visual studio express) from any JS script.

JS is really cool for testing / debugging, but at some point I wouldn't mind going VST, better control, more functions, probably faster code, and converting a project with a single click is tempting...
mbncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
jens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitmotif View Post
The one prob I can see with open-source JS is that JS is majorly built into Reaper. What happens when users develop the standalone JS beyond the one in Reaper? Certain features will need translating from the open-source standalone JS into Reaper's JS. That's a lot of work, a lot of confusion and a lot of people whining on the forums about how the standalone version now does this-and-that but J&C still haven't got round to adding that functionality to Reaper's JS. In all seriousness, they need to devote their time to fixing bugs that are still in Reaper after several updates and not being whinned at about JS functionality.

Because of that, I can't see J&C agreeing.
No, JS isn't 'built into Reaper' - basically it's just a .dll, like a DX or VST plugin, or Rewire as well.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
No, JS isn't 'built into Reaper' - basically it's just a .dll, like a DX or VST plugin, or Rewire as well.
Involvement by Cockos would be needed if the open source JS needed new services from Reaper. But yes, if there was no need for new services from the host itself, the JS plugins could do pretty much whatever they wanted, without Cockos having to separately support any/much of that.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote