Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
corvid
Human being with feelings

Default How to record multiple xlr mics from mixer into one track

Hello, I work for a company that often has meetings that are mic'ed. We usually have about 10 people speaking in a large U shaped conference table, each with a dynamic mic. Those 10 mics go into a stage snake and routed into a Behringer X32 rack mixer. I have no idea how to get Reaper to record all of the mics into one track. I'm also not sure if my issue starts with the X32 mixer or Reaper. I'm completely lost. Anyone know where I should start troubleshooting this issue? Thanks!
corvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Birdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvid View Post
Hello, I work for a company that often has meetings that are mic'ed. We usually have about 10 people speaking in a large U shaped conference table, each with a dynamic mic. Those 10 mics go into a stage snake and routed into a Behringer X32 rack mixer. I have no idea how to get Reaper to record all of the mics into one track. I'm also not sure if my issue starts with the X32 mixer or Reaper. I'm completely lost. Anyone know where I should start troubleshooting this issue? Thanks!
If all the mics go into the mixer and you want to sum them into one channel then all you have to do is record the main out (mater channel) of the mixer.
Birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
If all the mics go into the mixer and you want to sum them into one channel then all you have to do is record the main out (mater channel) of the mixer.
Much as I love the idea of a "mother" channel that should of course be Master!😉

Birdy is right about the solution being easy but that assumes the main out is not in use already (eg to feed to a PA). If it is being used then just use one of the AUX outputs. As here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXzMkqv10I around 3.00.
Sorry if you already know this!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
serr

Well, you could just record a submix with Reaper. Route the mix to a track and record that track's output.

I'll jump ahead and assume you've done that but the issue is you have balance problems or bleed problems in that now single mono track. Yes?

What's the goal?
To reduce/eliminate any post production time?
(That would be reasonable with this simply being speech recording and not aimed at making a presentation or anything with finesse like a music mix.)

Experiment a little in stages.
Dial up your submix track and record it but also still record the source tracks as multitrack. That way you can still rescue the screwed up submix after the fact. Learn as you go and adjust the submix. Eventually the submix will be dialed in enough and you won't have the post work to do anymore. Then you can stop recording multitrack if you wish.

Or... still record it for a safety but throw it away after if everything is OK with the submix.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
ajawamnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvid View Post
If your company has a budget, you may want to look at Dugan's Automix - this is a fairly convincing video of how they use it for the talent mics on The Voice (tho I hate shows like that)

His demo with some live mic's is probably what you're facing... nasty phasey crap. The Dugan cleans that right up. It's like a bunch of noise gates on steroids... I came across this when asked how they get the audio on those shows with a zillion open mics to sound so clean and tight.

Well, now I know...

You can get the waves plugin, use the x32 as the front end
https://www.waves.com/plugins/dugan-...gn=4c7F0m5BYHg

Or buy the mixer from Dugan and run that into one channel of the x32 or some other audio interface.
https://www.dandugan.com/products/

Me? I'd record them separately and mix it, unless they're really boring and long. Then I'd tell the boss to go buy a Dugan...

Last edited by ajawamnet; 11-13-2019 at 06:10 PM.
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

do this https://behringerwiki.musictribe.com...th_the_console and then import the recording into Reaper.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Philbo King

Using the track routing button to set the desired number of channels.
Then select those channels when you select 'record multichannel'.
These gave to be consecutive inputs in your interface, like 1-10, or 2-11, etc.
Make sure to set all 10 levels to appropriate levels using the preamp gain controls on the interface. Too low is safer than too high, in general.