Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
davidgscott64
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on PPC MAC

I'm looking to buy a laptop to use with Reaper. I've been looking at Intel based Mac's, but even second hand on Ebay, they are still out of my price range. I've noticed that I can pick up a PPC based G4 for about 1/3 to 2/3's the price.

So, here's my question... How well does Reaper perform on a PPC G4? Anyone with experience with this, please also tell me what you're configuration is (ie. CPU, RAM, clock speed, type of audio interface, etc).

BTW, I'll be using Firewire for my audio interface.

Thanks.
davidgscott64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
jdriver

I'm using an "antique" G4-550,512MB. It works well enough to record simple projects, if you set the request buffer size to 1024. I have to monitor recording thru my Midi device, if i try to monitor thru Reaper it can't keep up. Also, quit other applications that are doing anything, especially Firefox.

Your mileage will probably vary.
jdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
dub3000

you'd probably be able to get a high spec windows based laptop way cheaper than a comparable osx laptop. just sayin'.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
davidgscott64

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
you'd probably be able to get a high spec windows based laptop way cheaper than a comparable osx laptop. just sayin'.
I hear you, however...

I'm currently using a WinXP desktop for Reaper. I have a mixer with a Firewire interface for audio and have had lots a problems with the firewire connection failing. This has meant rebooting the mixer or the PC or both. BTW, my FW interface has the TI chipset.

I've also tried the mixer connected to an Intel Macbook (not running Reaper) and it just works without any problems. There are two reasons why I think this is... Better hardware integration and better audio support in the OS.

I realise that buying a Mac (even a new Intel one) does not guarantee that my problems will be over, but I think my chances are better with a Mac.
davidgscott64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgscott64 View Post
I realise that buying a Mac (even a new Intel one) does not guarantee that my problems will be over, but I think my chances are better with a Mac.
even with an old, unsupported mac, that's out of warranty?
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Ben Srokosz

Default it just works

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgscott64 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I hear you, however...

I'm currently using a WinXP desktop for Reaper. I have a mixer with a Firewire interface for audio and have had lots a problems with the firewire connection failing. This has meant rebooting the mixer or the PC or both. BTW, my FW interface has the TI chipset.

I've also tried the mixer connected to an Intel Macbook (not running Reaper) and it just works without any problems. There are two reasons why I think this is... Better hardware integration and better audio support in the OS.

True...thats really the great thing about owning a mac. Things just work. All of the recording interfaces I have tried have all been basically plug and play, with the exception of my presonus firestudio. And that only took a little coaxing until it began working flawlessly.

Good luck in your search.
Ben Srokosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Mjolniir

I haven't had good results on my iBook G4 (1.2 GHZ 1.25 GB RAM). It simply has trouble keeping up with more than a few tracks. From what I understand it is optimized for intel based computers. If you can't afford a Mac think about a PC laptop. Tend to be cheaper (I prefer OSX myself, but since my iBook is my only mac I use my Vista desktop PC and it runs great with Reaper)
Mjolniir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
pixeltarian

so you want a mac, and something decent to run reaper...

Kalyway hackbook?
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Demamufacture1980

my 12" G4 Powerbook 1.5ghz 1.25 gig of ram has hiccups with about 22 tracks
minimal plugins.. Reaper runs better on my PC witch is a shitty emachines! ..but i cant justify spending anymore money on a computer right now...ill prolly end up selling my powerbook...maybe
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
TimOBrien

Just my 2cents: I've run Macs since the very first month they came out, but frankly investing any money now in a PPC antique would be like buying a Commodore C-64...
TimOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
even with an old, unsupported mac, that's out of warranty?
Yeah, that's not asking but running for trouble.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
strangedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
Just my 2cents: I've run Macs since the very first month they came out, but frankly investing any money now in a PPC antique would be like buying a Commodore C-64...
I disagree - I have a room full of PPC Macs and NO INTEL here... My PPC 20" Imac is my "baby". I would recommend PPC Mac's to anyone wanting to run OS X. I know support is dropped now and the new OS will not support PPC chips but screw that - 10.5.6 will be my last OS then. Works great - no issues - does everything I want and I'm going to die a PPC user I guess.
strangedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
wildschwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
I disagree - I have a room full of PPC Macs and NO INTEL here... My PPC 20" Imac is my "baby". I would recommend PPC Mac's to anyone wanting to run OS X. I know support is dropped now and the new OS will not support PPC chips but screw that - 10.5.6 will be my last OS then. Works great - no issues - does everything I want and I'm going to die a PPC user I guess.
Hi mate -- curious to see if you still have Reaper running happily with a PowerPC Mac today?
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote