Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
israeltandrade
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper in Live (Send Signal for Music Pad)

Hi! Itīs my first time here, so if it is not the best place to put this kind of discussion, please tell me and I move it.

I use Reaper to play live and it is perfect! (snapshots, actions and markers are great for this!) I used to change the track selections (this would select different channels and different sounds to play) with a switch pedal on my keyboard controller, so I discover thet I can make Reaper do it for me automatically (markers on the project with actions, because my band work with click in live situations)

NOW, I was just thinking... I have a pedal to send the next page command on my score sheet tablet, the MusicPad Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Freeh.../dp/B001LG2K7S

Is that a way I can send a command to the MusicPad by the marker function? The pedal is this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books...otpedal/150262

Anyway to send something of the audio interface? Or something that could convert the MIDI CC to the signal of the same type that is sent by the pedal?

If it was possible, I would not have to press the pedal when the music reachs the point of the marker.

Thanks for the attention!

Israel
israeltandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by israeltandrade View Post
Hi! Itīs my first time here, so if it is not the best place to put this kind of discussion, please tell me and I move it.
A warm welcome to you.

Quote:
I use Reaper to play live and it is perfect!
You might want to try SWS "Live Configs" to make it even more perfect .
I do this very happily, dropping any thought about any other "VSTi player" software once I found Reaper.
I wrote an extended documentation on that behalf and drafted some programs that can be used to easily step along song structures by a midi controller and / or laptop keyboard shortcuts.
If you like reading documentation:
-> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf
-> www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf

Quote:
Is that a way I can send a command to the MusicPad
Of course Reaper can send Midi messages. Take a look at the Midi routing ("bus") options in the Reaper documentation and take a look at the multiple midi JSFX plugins provided. But for special purposes you supposedly will need to do a dedicated JSFX creating the midi data stream.

Quote:
Anyway to send something of the audio interface?
Which audio interface ? The sound supposed to where ?

Regarding the Pedal: How is this (intended to be) connected to the PC ? Is it connected to an USB or Midi enabled controller or Keyboard ?

The "patch" software I did could (be extended to) use such a pedal as an input for stepping songs or song positions with pre-configured LiveConfigs patches ("Lines"). Moreover the "patch" thingy could be extended to send (Midi) signals to the pad when the next song or song position is stepped to.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-09-2016 at 04:47 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
israeltandrade

Thank you very much for the reply!

Wow, very impressive implementation! Iīll sure study your manuals (yep, I read them all) and try Live Configs.

"...Take a look at the Midi routing ("bus") options in the Reaper documentation and take a look at the multiple midi JSFX plugins provided."

I forgot the JSFX... Iīll search it.

"But for special purposes you supposedly will need to do a dedicated JSFX creating the midi data stream."

I have no clue on how to do that...

"Which audio interface ? The sound supposed to where ?"

I use an old Fast Track Ultra. Well, it may sound silly, but I even try to send a sample click via audio cable :P to the Music Pad because a noticed that the MP pedal uses a simple cable p10/p2 (itīs the names here in Brazil for the audio cables, sorry, I donīt know how they are called in other countries) to send the signal for the MP.
I think I donīt need to tell I failed miserably in achieving the result I want.

The big problem is that there is no MIDI input on MP so I was thinking if there is a equipment that transforms MIDI CC in to the type of signal that is produced by the pedal, So I could use markers and actions to trigger the turn pages command.

The back entries of the MP is here on second page of this little manual:

http://www.musicpad.co.uk/downloads/...art_4_0_11.pdf

I canīt use the USB inputs to turn pages (I think). They are used to transfer music score files with the computer. (actually, the USB 1 is for storage and USB 2 is for transfering files) The tiny P2 input is what I have (I think, I can be wrong) to send the "turn page" command.

"Moreover the "patch" thingy could be extended to send (Midi) signals to the pad when the next song or song position is stepped to."

That is exactly the thing Iīm after! I discover with MIDI OX that the signal of the pedal is identical to any sustain/switch (Iīve change the p2/p10 cable with simple p10 cable, and plugged it on my keyboard, the MIDI OX says the MIDI data is the same), so I have to send something (I have no clue if it is audio or something else) for the "p2 Input" on Music Pad to turn the pages. OR buy some equipment that converts MIDI CC to that type of signal.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
I have no clue if it is audio or something else) for the "p2 Input" on Music Pad to turn the pages.
That needs to be decently documented somewhere. The MP is very expensive, after all. I just bought a very versatile (Windows) Tablet for some $219.-.

-Michael
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
I have no clue on how to do that...
You can find the experts over here in the "Script" forum.

Regarding the pedal: As it is a very simple standard thingy it obviously can and needs to be connected to a Midi Keyboard or controller that sends midi messages via 5 pin Midi Cable or via USB to the computer. Now a Reaper plugin can handle the press and release events.

Regarding the MP: Its no wonder that there is no dedicated "Midi" hardware connection (the 5-pin plug is rather outdated, anyway), but it's bound to have USB (the Quick Start Guide shows as well an USB "Device" socket (USB2) to hold cable to a PC (e.g. running Reaper), as an USB "Host" socket (USB1) to hold a cable to an USB device such as a Midi keyboard alternatively or via a "hub" together with a storage device), and USB always is bidirectional, and there is a standard for sending Midi data streams via USB. So Reaper (and hence any plugin) is able to receiver Midi messages from the MP and send midi messages to the MP (if the MP software does support those features). As denoted as "Music Pad", it would be a crime if the thingy does not provide appropriate bidirectional remote control communication via USB/Midi. The documentation of the MP should provide the appropriate information.

The Quick Start Guide mentions a Forum -> http://www.freehandsystems.com/support.htm . I would ask there on how to find the Midi (via USB) implementation the MP provides. Turning pages as a result of Midi message seems like an absolute basic feature such a device is supposed to support.

I suppose the "p2" input will accept the Pedal if equipped with an appropriate plug (standard pedals use "big" (6.3mm diameter) plugs, p2 is a smaller version, but adapters should be easily available, e.g. for Headphone use). Now there "could" be three ways to go: 1) connect the pedal to the MP and same should send a Midi message (via its USB "Device" socket to the PC, 2) connect the pedal (e.g via a midi keyboard) to the PC and same sends (via Reaper) USB messages to the MP coming in there via the same USB connection and 3) connect the Pedal to some midi controller device and connect same to the Midi "Host" socket of the MP (in fact this seems less interesting to me).

-Michael
(P.S.: Nice to know that you are from Brazil, as my wife is in Rio at the moment as a member of the support team of the German dressage Riders, and the singer in my band (see below) was born in Rio, and we do several songs created by Brazilian artists, e.g. the one we chose as a band name. )

Last edited by mschnell; 08-10-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
israeltandrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You can find the experts over here in the "Script" forum.
Thanks! I will talk to them. (for this and other stuff)

Quote:
...As denoted as "Music Pad", it would be a crime if the thingy does not provide appropriate bidirectional remote control communication via USB/Midi. The documentation of the MP should provide the appropriate information.
Well, Iīm beggining to think that it does not provide that function... The official manual on page 26 says it is something that only the pedal and the touchscreen can perform, while the USB connections are for transfering files

https://www.floridamusicco.com/PDF/m...prouserman.pdf

Anyway, because of your suggestion I tried to install the Music Pad driver on my Windows 64 bits and had no sucess. So Iīve installed the windows xp mode and it worked! But so far, no USB control from the PC... (I didnīt had the time to test it yet) So if it is possible, I stell need something to send the MIDI CC to the windows xp mode. I was thinking if some of these softwares would do the job:

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http....com/myoke.htm

http://confusionstudios.com/mjdj/

Quote:
The Quick Start Guide mentions a Forum -> http://www.freehandsystems.com/support.htm . I would ask there on how to find the Midi (via USB) implementation the MP provides. Turning pages as a result of Midi message seems like an absolute basic feature such a device is supposed to support.
Well, the forum is down. The company is out of business. So, I think is a dead end.

Quote:
I suppose the "p2" input will accept the Pedal if equipped with an appropriate plug (standard pedals use "big" (6.3mm diameter) plugs, p2 is a smaller version, but adapters should be easily available, e.g. for Headphone use). Now there "could" be three ways to go: 1) connect the pedal to the MP and same should send a Midi message (via its USB "Device" socket to the PC, 2) connect the pedal (e.g via a midi keyboard) to the PC and same sends (via Reaper) USB messages to the MP coming in there via the same USB connection and 3) connect the Pedal to some midi controller device and connect same to the Midi "Host" socket of the MP (in fact this seems less interesting to me).
I understand the suggestions, and all of them seems perfect, but I will have to test the USB connections to see if this is possible.
Anyway, would this type of cable help?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/usb-guitar-cable

I think that IF this was not so expensive, it could be of some help too:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...tar-footswitch

Quote:
(P.S.: Nice to know that you are from Brazil, as my wife is in Rio at the moment as a member of the support team of the German dressage Riders, and the singer in my band (see below) was born in Rio, and we do several songs created by Brazilian artists, e.g. the one we chose as a band name. )
Very nice that you play Brazilian music! Best wishes to your wife here in Brazil and to your band!

Thanks a lot for the time and patiente! Even if I fail, I learned a lot in the process and Iīm studying your excelent extension.