Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Airal
Banned

Default Bluetooth over MIDI support in Reaper

Would be great! Surely not too hard to add?

Heres some info

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...JewZlbjkisQ.99

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows...r/Samples/MIDI

Last edited by Airal; 08-01-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

In fact I use a TEC BBC that features a rater delicate Midi Cable and enhancing it with a portable battery powered Midi-USB to Bluetooth box would be fantastic. (Unfortunately I am very reluctant to convert my live setup to windows 10...)

While it would be great to be able to use Midi via Bluetooth I don't see how Reaper would be in that game. Supposedly, in fact the Windows Midi via USB driver would provide just another standard Midi device Reaper could attach to.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Midi via Bluetooth
Soundbrenner uses BTLE and without it Reaper can't interface with that device on Windows.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Soundbrenner uses BTLE and without it Reaper can't interface with that device on Windows.
Obviously.

But Win10 is supposed to provide the Midi via BTLE device driver as stated in the first post. Reaper should be able to see and use such a midi device if the compatible hardware and the Windows configuration is in place.

-Michael
Old 08-02-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
karbomusic

Correct, Reaper shouldn't have anything to add/code/change in order for this to work.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
Airal
Banned

Wrong, that is not true. Read the article. To enumerate and activate the new midi over bluetooth devices, requires new code that reaper has not added, which is why it can't do it.

The article gives the code on how to do this which is why I linked it. I doubt it gets implemented though because it seems the devs are only focused on automation items and other enhancements rather than any real bug fixes or issues. I posted an issue with reaper screwing up certain file formats and that hasn't been addressed for over two months.
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #7
leonardder

Hello all,

It has been pretty silent about this subject, I assume Reaper still doesn't support bluetooth midi on Windows out of the box?

https://github.com/stammen/winrtmidi is no longer maintained. It looks like the preferred way by Microsoft to enumerate and talk to bluetooth midi devices is c++/WinRT, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...cpp-with-winrt

I'm thinking about investigating whether I could write a reaper plug-in for this, but it will likely not feel as native as an implementation in Reaper core.
leonardder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardder View Post
I assume Reaper still doesn't support bluetooth midi on Windows out of the box?
This does not make any sense.

For a software program Midi is Midi. It should not care over what kind of transport the Midi messages are transferred. This holds for "5-Pin", or "USB", or "Network", or ..., or "Bluetooth". (If Microsoft thinks different, they are just silly.)

-Michael
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #9
leonardder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This does not make any sense.

For a software program Midi is Midi. It should not care over what kind of transport the Midi messages are transferred.
True. However, Microsoft decided not to offer access to bluetooth midi devices using the old win32 API. You might call that silly, but techniques simply evolve.

Let me state my question differently:
I assume Reaper still doesn't support communication with MIDI devices over the new UWP API?

This blog posts sumarizes some of the advantages:

* detect hot plug/unplug of devices while your app is running
* Built in support for sysex and buffer based operations
* it is multi-client. As long as all apps with the port open are using the Windows 10 UWP MIDI API and not the older Win32 MME or DirectMusic APIs, they can share the same device
leonardder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #10
mschnell

If there are additional advantages, it might make sense to create a new API for a class of devices. But this does not force anybody not to provide the standard API (here the "Midi device") with the standard functionality for those who don't need the extended. (Many audio gadgets come with drivers that create both an ASIO and a "Direct X" software device from same.)

In fact I feel that some of what you describe is also available with Midi over USB, and hence pretty standard for Midi gadget access, anyway, natively or by using Midi Router software.

I seem to remember that there is some software that creates a standard Midi device form such a silly "Bluetooth Midi" thingy, actually creating a standard "Midi over Bluetooth" gadget from same.

-Michael
Old 06-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
Markrs

Not going to lie, I just assumed that Reaper would support midi over bluetooth natively.

However it does seem like someone has got it working...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQOJEazTxeM
Markrs is offline   Reply With Quote