Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Omellette
Human being with feelings

Default Routing Confusion

Hello everyone --

I'm trying to set up a track routing paradigm of the following:

1. A Master Track with a multi-timbral VSTi loaded
2. A MIDI Input Send Track to send one channel of MIDI data to one of the presets loaded into the VSTi
3. An Output Track to receive the audio output of the VSTi so that it can be mixed individually.

Probably the easiest way to imagine it is considering Drum VST's. There are tons of videos which show how to set up multiple input tracks to controls individual drums within a Drum instrument, and there are an equal number of videos to show how to set up multiple output tracks to be able to mix each drum coming out of the VST individually.

I'm trying to combine these two things together, and it all seems to work EXCEPT for the output routing.

Here is how I've set up the routing: Track 1 is the master track, and has the East-West Play Engine loaded with a sample playing on Channel 1. Track 2 is the MIDI send channel, and you can see how it's triggering sound, which is displayed on the meters of the Master track. However, I'm trying to route that sound to Track 3 (1/2 -> 1/2), but the sound is just not getting there.

I'm not sure where I've made a mistake -- can anyone provide any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it.

(N.B. - I've tried uploading an image to show how it's setup currently, but I can't seem to get it small enough in size such that you can actually see any pertinent details.)
Omellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Omellette

Default Here's a screenshot of the routing...

I managed to crop it enough so that it'll fit, but still be visible enough to be useful.

See attached!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoutingIssueCropped.jpg (51.3 KB, 109 views)
Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
domzy

Still difficult for me to see it with my dodgy eyes and tiny screen, but it looks like you have track 1 as a folder track and both tracks 2 & 3 as children? This may cause feedback. You can "allow feedback in routing" (project settings / advanced) which may fix it, but you would probably be advised to not have that particular parent / child folder structure.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
hopi

no wait... brb

make folder track
make vsti track
make midi track

send midi to vsti track
set vsti track to record disable, monitor only

set the folder to record output, stereo, latency compensated
disable master parent on the midi track

you will get midi item on the midi track
and audio on the folder track

Last edited by hopi; 06-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Omellette

Default Thanks for the tips!

Thanks to everyone to taking the time to read, and respond! It's helped me solve the problem...

Removing the MIDI and Audio receive tracks from inside the folder track did the trick -- even without the feedback turned on at the project level! I've now set it up so that I have 8 MIDI input tracks, feeding into 8 different sample channels within the PLAY engine hosted on the Master track, each in turn feeding into 8 separate stereo output tracks which I can balance accordingly. Then I have the master track set as a VCA Master, which the output tracks set as VCA slaves, so that I can balance the group as a whole among other groups!

Finally, the reason I has them in folders to begin with was solved with the Track Manager Window -- I only display the Master and the MIDI sends in the Track Panel, and only display the Master and the Audio receives in the Mixer Panel. And then, when I need to mix the overall ensemble, I remove the display of the Audio receives, and only show the VCA Masters.

This is a setup that I think works nicely for Drums, or for setting track templates for orchestral instruments, using the various channels for the different articulations.

Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
hopi

yep you have it under control now and with that understanding you can create various ways to get what you want...

understanding reaper routing is a big step forward...
I still remember when I 'got it' with setting up Addictive Drums... and after that it all became clear