Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
djmicah
Human being with feelings

Default wrong stem length?

I am making beats in MPC software, and would like to arrange it in Reaper. The beat is 4 bars and 95 bpm for example. I export all the tracks/ stems from MPC. I open new project in Reaper, set the bpm to 95 and when I add the stems to Reaper tracks they are more than 4 bars, their length is 4.00.100 always, and it should be 4.00.000, what am i doing wrong, please help??
djmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
serr

When you import audio created in a different app, you need to set any grid to the audio. Not the other way around. That bpm isn't a hard perfect number. Digital systems still drift unless they are in sync. You'll notice the audio start to drift away from the grid. So... conform a new grid to the existing audio when you import it from somewhere else. And of course, only bother laying down a grid if you need it for something! If you are just mixing, you don't need a grid to match up with your audio anymore. You were originally using that as your metronome or drummer when you were creating the 'beat' to let you move things around and stay on time.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Seldrums

You might check to make sure the playrate in Reaper is set to 1.0.
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

There's also the fact that an audio file can't include fractional samples and any loop based on a grid that doesn't account for that is going to have to compromise in one direction or another. Do these things loop correctly? Like if you just drag them out, does it sound right or is there a stutter. If they work on their own then you get to decide if you want to make them match the grid or make the grid match them. I feel like matching them to the grid is easier because you can just alt-drag to strecth the items and with snapping enabled there's no guess work.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #5
djmicah

thank You for the answers, indeed I need the grid for arranging, for mixing I wouldn't bother just leave it 120 bpm . So I'll try matching to grid, I need to check how to do this properly. The reason for my question was that I also tried the stems in ableton and it worked well. Ableton put the stems into 4 bar clips at once. I think this is due to its warping function. Anyway I've been working in Reaper for more than a year, know this DAW really well, so I'd rather work in Reaper than Ableton( lite version that I own has only 8 audio tracks )
djmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
faun2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Do these things loop correctly? Like if you just drag them out,
No, mine do not loop properly if you drag the end, after a while the loop is out of sync. This is want the problem is. Audio is not being rendered to a full bar and as it is just short, it eventually goes out of sync. This is not good if you are producing loops and I will seriously (and begrudgingly) have to look at other daws again after all these years in Reaper.

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
hopi

instead of drag and drop of the stems... try importing them with the Media Explorer in reaper, with it set to match tempo...
since you know the bpm for the project, of course set that first in reaper and then import the stems as said...