Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Amether
Human being with feelings

Default SlowTools? What's the deal?

Right - I've been on this board for a while now, and I've been hearing a lot of anti-protools propaganda. This is all good fun; it's good to hear that REAPER is a preferable piece of software for many - even in comparison to the sort that costs loadsamoney.

Now, I used ProTools about 5 years ago while I was at University. It was ok. But I was making very abstract stuff and so wasn't really trying to use the software to make anything in particular - rather just using it to dick around and make funky sounds. But yeah, it was ok. I had no particular views.

The studio where I'm working are [thinking about] getting a ProTools rig. And while I point out that there's not really anything it can do that we can't already do - the idea is that it's a good promotional tool, in the 'if you build it they will come' type way. Obviously I'd prefer our promotion to be the quality of music we record, but that's just me.

So my question, finally. Technically - is ProTools anything special? If not, what's it's disadvantages (other than price)? How does REAPER officially kick its arse?
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote