Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Mercado_Negro

Default SWS Snapshots... Mixing Macros

First of all I would like to thanks the minds behind all of this: SWS and Xenakios, without them this wouldn't be possible. After this let's get into what we are here for...

TOOLS NEEDED: Xenakios Extension Plug-in
SWS Snapshot Extension Plug-in

Note: you just need to keep ticked "vis" filter in the snapshot window and untick "Selected Tracks Only"

These three macros will help everyone who wants to use mixer Snapshots in mixing... like me:

First macro: you'll use it to add a new "Track" to the snapshot you are "seeing" in the mixer (Keyboard: F11)
Second macro: you'll use it to move a "track" from a Snapshot to another (Keyboard: F12)
Third Macro: you'll use it to hide/show selected track(s) in the mixer (keyboard: H)

Let's use an example...

1) Create a new project

2) Insert two tracks and select them both, press "H" to hide them from the mixer

3) In TCP, select first track and press "H" to show this track in the mixer, right-click on it and go to "Snapshots->New Snapshot"
*Now you can see in your snapshot window (View->Show Snapshots) this snapshot you have just created (Mix 1)*

4) Hide this track from mixer pressing "H"

5) In TCP, Select second track and press "H" to show this track in the mixer, right-click on it and go to "Snapshots->New Snapshot"
*Now you can see in your snapshot window this new snapshot you have just created (Mix 2)*

6) Recall snapshot 1 and you'll see the first snapshot you created (Mix 1), this one contains the first track only. Recall Snapshot 2 and you'll see the second snapshot you created (Mix 2), this one contains the second track only.

7) Recall snapshot 1 and select that track, insert new track and press F11. Now this new track will belong to this snapshot only.

8) Recall snapshot 2 and select (in TCP) that new track you inserted in step "7", press F12. Now that track will belong to this snapshot only. You moved it!

Let's face things that may happen in a mixing evironment:

After you have processed a track with some plug-ins maybe you want to bounce it to save some CPU processing, I do it "old-school" way. I insert a new track and route the processed track to it, untick master/parent send so I won't listen same thing twice, and then I record the output of this new track. Now I got my new track with the "processed information". After doing this I would like to add this "new track" to the snapshot I'm working with so I can see it instead of the old one which contains plug-ins. Here comes the FIRST MACRO. Select this new track and press F11, this way it would be added to the visible snapshot. Now that track with the plug-ins inserted is not usable anymore and I don't want to see it there anymore so I delete it from that snapshot and move it to another one (I use a folder track named "Crude Tracks", inside it I put all tracks with the original items and inserted plug-ins). How to do this? well, here comes into play the SECOND MACRO. First of all recall your destination snapshot (in my case is that "crude tracks"). Once you have recalled it select the track with the plug-ins inserted in the TCP (Because you won't see it in the mixer), and press F12. Now this track has been moved to this snapshot.

Here are the Screenshots of the Macros...
Add Track (F11)

Move Track (F12)

Hide/Show Tracks (H)

Here is the .keymap if you're just too lazy like me to build them...
Attached Files
File Type: reaperkeymap Snapshot Add-Move Tracks.ReaperKeyMap (654 Bytes, 331 views)
Mercado_Negro is offline   Reply With Quote