Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default Hardware Controller Floor Stand?

Does anyone use a floor stand for their hardware controllers such as the Presoneus Fader Port, Behringer X-Touch, Mackie Universal Control etc?

I purchased a Behringer X-Touch ONE. I love it, it works great. However, the more I use it, the more I'm starting to realize how I wish it had it's own floor stand to mount it on.

I currently have my DAW setup on a 5ft wide desk. In the middle of the desk is my laptop. Since I'm right handed, to the right of that is my mouse, a wireless numeric keypad and then my X-Touch ONE controller. I have a few problems with this setup. I'm running out of desk space to the right of my PC where the X=Touch ONE is currently sitting at the edge of my desk and the viewing angle sitting on a flat desk is not all that great. As Well all these devices to the right are almost sitting on top of each other.

Moving my laptop to the left to create more room to the right is not an option. I have 3 monitors where my Laptop is the monitor in the middle with 2 external monitors, 1 to the left and the other to the right.

In the past I had worked in a studio which used AMS Neve Audiofile recorders/editors which were blazing fast to edit audio with. This type of editing/control function is what I'm trying to achieve with the Behringer X-Touch ONE. With the AMS Neve Audiofile in many of the studios they were mounted on a floor stand, so we could adjust their height and viewing angle. Below is a picture which doesn't show the stand all that well but hopefully gives the idea of what I'm looking for.

The 1st thing that comes to mind is putting the controller on a music stand but I'm looking for something a little more sturdy and secure. There's got to be some kind of universal floor stand for these hardware controllers, but I'm just currently coming up empty.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
karbomusic

I have one of these for my Maschine MK3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084CRYOG
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
lunker

It might be overkill if you’ve only got that one unit, but I use one of these to hold all my keyboards and other MIDI controllers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgLBi_D_BwE

I bought some prefab metal shelves to put on the rails, so that I can have several pieces of smaller gear on the top two tiers.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I have one of these for my Maschine MK3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084CRYOG
That's excellent and gives me some more ideas.

I'm now thinking something like a portable laptop stand may work well for me.

I could move the controller to the laptop docking area as well as move the wireless keypad where the mouse is located, since I use that keypad mainly for audio editing keyboard short-cut uses since my laptop keyboard doesn't have a keypad. That way both of the devices I use most for editing purposes are together and then I can easily roll the stand around me for best comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTQPNAR...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's probably a little wider than I would prefer since the X-Touch ONE is half the width of a laptop. It would be perfect if I could find a smaller version of that though just not as wide. However, just under 2ft wide overall, isn't too bad.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
That's excellent and gives me some more ideas.

I'm now thinking something like a portable laptop stand may work well for me.

I could move the controller to the laptop docking area as well as move the wireless keypad where the mouse is located, since I use that keypad mainly for audio editing keyboard short-cut uses since my laptop keyboard doesn't have a keypad. That way both of the devices I use most for editing purposes are together and then I can easily roll the stand around me for best comfort.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTQPNAR...v_ov_lig_dp_it

It's probably a little wider than I would prefer since the X-Touch ONE is half the width of a laptop. It would be perfect if I could find a smaller version of that though just not as wide. However, just under 2ft wide overall, isn't too bad.
How weird - I just ordered one these exact things yesterday
I figured it is configurable enough to perform a few functions for my studio as a gear stand, performer table etc and also I wanted something I could attach a gaming wheel to for break times!

I know if something is a more than a minute to setup I don't bother in long run and not a big gamer anyway, 15 minutes of F1 is enough.

Bear in mind for your purposes the large section could be removed and the top is just mdf screwed on so can modify pretty easily.

Edit: mine is due on Thursday if got any Q's regard gear stand use you can AMA..
Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
How weird - I just ordered one these exact things yesterday
I figured it is configurable enough to perform a few functions for my studio as a gear stand, performer table etc and also I wanted something I could attach a gaming wheel to for break times!

I know if something is a more than a minute to setup I don't bother in long run and not a big gamer anyway, 15 minutes of F1 is enough.

Bear in mind for your purposes the large section could be removed and the top is just mdf screwed on so can modify pretty easily.

Edit: mine is due on Thursday if got any Q's regard gear stand use you can AMA..
Good idea putting a smaller size top on it. The funny thing is that the reviews on that one seem to indicate the wheels suck and that it's not very sturdy. So I've been looking for another one that is similar since I like the overall functionality of that one. Both sides tilt, it rotates and is on wheels. However, in typical Amazon fashion, there's like 5 of the same China made crap with 5 different brand names slapped on them and they are all really the same thing from different sellers.

I think I'm going to get that same one. Hopefully it should work well for my purposes of holding the Behringer X-Touch One and a small wireless numeric keypad. I may have to get a new set of wheels if that becomes a problem, but oh well. Let me know what you think if you get it before I do.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
BenK-msx

Yeh its got 12 different names and even the pictures on Amazon show different variants...

If I don't like the wheels I'll remove them.. I think they do all lock tho.

Can also add a bit of weight on the bottom to steady it up - if everything else is tightened up properly not sure how anything can wobble,

I don't see any unsolvable issues but will see when turns up! £22 for me so not much.

Almost.got an x-touch 1 last week but got hold of a CMD pl-1 as a controller, which needs more setup as it's design is DJ focused but I wanted a big jog wheel - this stand might be a good place for it as it's larger than prior controller..

Will update.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
Rednroll

I ended up purchasing this one. It looked similar to the rest but was dark walnut in color which should match my desk color, although you can never go wrong with black.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFHD29Q...v_ov_lig_dp_it

No bad reviews so far.....unless I find out it's a POS after I get it.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
BenK-msx

My stand thing turned up this morning, was so straightforward to put together I did so prior to getting dressed

Not as large a footprint as I thought, should be flexible if you say, don't want the larger piece on, or only the smaller or something entirely different. Easy.

Gets to a good max height so as a 'talent stand' handy for water and notes etc, and looks arite enough to have out in the corner.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
aomahana

Default QuikLok QL-400

I use this one ....
http://quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produc...1&sName=QL-400

Love it.
aomahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #11
Rednroll

Quote:
My stand thing turned up this morning, was so straightforward to put together I did so prior to getting dressed

Not as large a footprint as I thought, should be flexible if you say, don't want the larger piece on, or only the smaller or something entirely different. Easy.

Gets to a good max height so as a 'talent stand' handy for water and notes etc, and looks arite enough to have out in the corner.
Excellent! Does it seem sturdy enough?
Mine just arrived on my front porch today as I was walking out the door. Now I get to look forward to putting it together tonight and try it out this weekend.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by aomahana View Post
That's the type of stand I was originally looking for when I started shopping. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?
Old 06-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
BenK-msx

I think regards sturdy does depend on the weight on it but I think if all is tight no problems..

I do like it more as a gear stand than my secret primary purpose of somewhere for my Xbox wheel! Oh well. An angled surface for a controller is actually very handy.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
aomahana

Default QuikLok QL-400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
That's the type of stand I was originally looking for when I started shopping. Where did you get it and how much did it cost?
I got it from the local music shop (here in Auckland, New Zealand). But they are also available on eBay.
aomahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #15
Rednroll

Quote:

The foot print was actually a little larger than I had preferred for my uses but as you mentioned it was pretty easy to reconfigure the stand into something different. I had wanted to use it for my Behringer X-Touch one and my wireless numeric keypad since I use both of those together doing DAW and Video editing work. The numeric keyboard I have configured for the most common keyboard short cuts which are not MCU supported. The larger side was able to hold both devices, where I decided in an effort to reduce the foot print I installed the smaller mouse section underneath the larger section where I can use it for a drink holder or something else. The pipe section that holds the larger table top section was also pretty long so you can slide it right/left quite a ways. I cut about 7 inches off of that pipe section using my angle grinder and put the end cap back in since it was sticking out about 6 inches from the edge of the table top.

So now with a couple pretty simple modifications, the stand is about perfect for what I was looking in regards to size and intended functionality. The one I got, I felt the height could have been a little higher but at it's max height adjustment its still at a good working height when I'm sitting down.

Sturdiness should be ok but yeah, you really have to make sure the adjustment knobs are cranked down.

The "Walnut" color I decided to get is a far cry's match from my desk's color of real wood Walnut color, where I probably should have went with the black instead.

Next to desk (height could be a little higher, color mismatch)

Side shelf relocation.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
BenK-msx

Yeh looking good!

On the bodging theme I thought the small top would go nicely by my desk but on it's own small stand, and had a camera tripod thing lying around so fixed top to the bit that you screw into your camera.

Main table is doing it's thing other side of room, looks ok with the one part I think as u found.

https://m.imgur.com/a/mSv6QsQ