Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #41
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris.audioplanet View Post
When I do the same and save in RX, the file doesn't get updated in Reaper. If I listen to it in the finder the file has the changes but not in Reaper, as if was playing some kind of buffer.
I set this up awhile ago but is it not making an item copy, that gets sent to REAPER?

When I do that, and make the edit in RX, and save/overwrite the new copy and close it, when I toggle back to REAPER, the newly edited/fixed item is the active take and all is good. The original take is still visible but not active.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #42
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Here's an RX editor question ...

For my audio tracks, I use WavPak [Wv] format.

When I send Copy to RX editor, I get an error ... file does not then load.

any work around ? I like to stay with the WV format while working in Reaper.

Thanks
I don't know much about WavPak but I doubt RX supports it.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #43
serr

It sounds like you're using an action to replace the source with the edited version automatically MRMJP. Is that right?

I've thought about that. Sometimes I'll flip around between different versions of source files. It just isn't a big deal to open item properties. I also have the SWS version of 'replace source' mapped to a key. For when I want the item names to stay the same.

One of the things I like about Reaper is the ease of changing the source files so you can keep edits up and just swap sources. It's a workflow in certain situations anyway.

Just in case the question may have been wondering about using the iZotope plugins in Reaper. Some of some of them are available as vst plugins.

iZotope works with FLAC but I don't think WavPak.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #44
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
It sounds like you're using an action to replace the source with the edited version automatically MRMJP. Is that right?

I've thought about that. Sometimes I'll flip around between different versions of source files. It just isn't a big deal to open item properties. I also have the SWS version of 'replace source' mapped to a key. For when I want the item names to stay the same.

One of the things I like about Reaper is the ease of changing the source files so you can keep edits up and just swap sources. It's a workflow in certain situations anyway.

Just in case the question may have been wondering about using the iZotope plugins in Reaper. Some of some of them are available as vst plugins.

iZotope works with FLAC but I don't think WavPak.
Yes, somewhere in this thread is my workflow. It's amazing.

Running RX plugins live in REAPER sessions as VST/AU is not practical for my needs.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #45
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I don't know much about WavPak but I doubt RX supports it.
It doesn't ... unfortunately.

What I can't seem to find is a Reaper setting to change the file format when
sending out to the external editor.
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #46
fakemaxwell

What is the point in recording in WavPak in Reaper?
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
morfi

I've been using iZotope RX since version 2 as an external editor to REAPER and it's been awesome ever.

The only thing I hate is the lack of support for 64-bit FP audio files from RX. If I want to go back-and-forth between REAPER and RX then I have to create ("glue") new, identical audio files at 32-bit FP just to get them to open inside RX. I know there's no sensible loss of sound quality there but it's still a hassle to perform.
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #48
RJHollins

Another RX editor question ...

OK ... I can change the Project Settings to Render to WAV to then send to RX7
as a COPY ... then EXPORT back into Reaper as a 2nd Take.

Now the question:

If working at a specific time line in Reaper [a problem to fix] ... how can we get RX to LOCATE to that same point in the Time Line ??

2. Looking through the Action List ... I'm not seeing anything specific to sending to an external editor [RX]. Like sending just a small chunk over to RX to fix, and bring that back into Reaper. [kinda like a seamless, external editor].

any insights, suggestions?

thank you
Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 AM   #49
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
I've been using iZotope RX since version 2 as an external editor to REAPER and it's been awesome ever.

The only thing I hate is the lack of support for 64-bit FP audio files from RX. If I want to go back-and-forth between REAPER and RX then I have to create ("glue") new, identical audio files at 32-bit FP just to get them to open inside RX. I know there's no sensible loss of sound quality there but it's still a hassle to perform.
Yes, I have also requested this. I got the answer that it would be hard for them to change the processing of RX to 64-bit for all modules, but they may at least allow RX to import and export 64-bit FP files.

I would suggest to email them now before RX 8 beta gets going so they know how many people want this feature and consider addressing it.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #50
MRMJP

Quote:
Another RX editor question ...

OK ... I can change the Project Settings to Render to WAV to then send to RX7
as a COPY ... then EXPORT back into Reaper as a 2nd Take.

Now the question:

If working at a specific time line in Reaper [a problem to fix] ... how can we get RX to LOCATE to that same point in the Time Line ??

2. Looking through the Action List ... I'm not seeing anything specific to sending to an external editor [RX]. Like sending just a small chunk over to RX to fix, and bring that back into Reaper. [kinda like a seamless, external editor].

any insights, suggestions?

thank you
What I do is highlight the problem area with a timeline selection and select the item with the problem, and I have a custom action that splits the item at the time selection, makes a copy of that small area, sends it to RX where I make the fix and save/overwrite the file directly and close it.

Then when I toggle back to REAPER, the active take in that section is the fixed RX version.

Early in this thread you'll see more info, and screen shots. Here's a reminder of the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcvgk39tvw...ation.mov?dl=0

It's an amazing feature of REAPER that makes doing many rapid fixes very easy and smooth.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #51
RJHollins

Thanks MRMJP

That video does show a better workflow ...

Now I need to look to some Custom Action.

Much appreciate this topic.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #52
MRMJP

Quote:
Thanks MRMJP

That video does show a better workflow ...

Now I need to look to some Custom Action.

Much appreciate this topic.
No problem. On the previous page is a screenshot of my simple custom action. I think they are all native to REAPER so it should be easy to recreate.

Just make sure you set the items to go offline when REAPER is not focused. I think this is what makes it work so smooth for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #53
RJHollins

Cool ... thanks

Another question, please. [new stuff ... related].

I was using the 'make Copy, send to Editor' option [worked as WAV file].

If I did the same for these small sections, I assume they would return back to Reaper in the 2nd Take portion.

If so, Is there a way to then 'combine' both Takes as one? with the edited sections replacing the main Take ? As a New Track.

Just thinking ahead as to workflow options/limits.

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #54
MRMJP

Quote:
Cool ... thanks

Another question, please. [new stuff ... related].

I was using the 'make Copy, send to Editor' option [worked as WAV file].

If I did the same for these small sections, I assume they would return back to Reaper in the 2nd Take portion.

If so, Is there a way to then 'combine' both Takes as one? with the edited sections replacing the main Take ? As a New Track.

Just thinking ahead as to workflow options/limits.

Thanks again.
This gets outside of my REAPER knowledge as I have a very specific workflow and stick to it all day every day.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #55
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
This gets outside of my REAPER knowledge as I have a very specific workflow and stick to it all day every day.
Yeah ... I made my first action ! [actually ... I went back and copied the example you posted] :|

Anyway ... it worked, sending the selection to RX.

Didn't test all the way, but I think the return back to Reaper has the selection as the new active take. With that, it looks like a basic stem Render to a new track will work for what I need to do.

Thank-you for sharing the concept, and talking me through it.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:28 AM   #56
SubbaseDnB

Right now im using Reaper with Rx 7 elements,but want to upgrade to Rx Standard when i find a good upgrade prize
SubbaseDnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #57
MRMJP

Quote:
Yeah ... I made my first action ! [actually ... I went back and copied the example you posted] :|

Anyway ... it worked, sending the selection to RX.

Didn't test all the way, but I think the return back to Reaper has the selection as the new active take. With that, it looks like a basic stem Render to a new track will work for what I need to do.

Thank-you for sharing the concept, and talking me through it.
No problem. It's one of my favorite features of REAPER. When I moved from Pro Tools to REAPER, I was concerned about a lack of AudioSuite style processing, and this actually turned out to be a better and faster workflow because RX is both a standalone app, as well as a set of plugins.

I know REAPER people hate on AudioSuite because it's destructive, but that is the point of it. When you're fixing TINY sections of audio, I talking less than half a second sometimes, to fix a click, pop, plosive, mouth click, whatever, it's not practical to have an instance of RX (or anything else) running live, especially heavy CPU plugins. If it's a black and white fix, and you have to fix many per song, in my opinion it's best to just do a destructive edit.

Since 99.% of the time, I was using AudioSuite to fix something with RX, REAPER's ability to have an external editor is brilliant. It's actually somehow faster than AudioSuite but also gives me the visual detail of the RX spectral editor. Love it, especially because not all RX modules are available as AU/VST plugins.

It'd still be useful for REAPER to add AudioSuite style, or Direct Offline Processing (Cubase) so other plugins can be used in a similar manner but I'm not holding my breath.

The big thing for me is that the original audio in REAPER is still visible and accessible if needed, but the fixed version is automatically the active take.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #58
MRMJP

I just removed over 400 feedback squeals and other things from a 30 song live show with RX as REAPER's primary audio editor:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3it4o559d3...ER_RX.m4v?dl=0
Old 06-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #59
serr

iZotope makes quick work of erasing feedback like that.

I like the harmonic selection tool!
(There's always some saturation generated harmonics on those feedback bursts! I mean... you know... when someone else - obviously not you - was running the live sound. )

Makes what would have been a little tricky to clean up take 5 minutes.

Heh, 400 though?! Whats the hell was going on there?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #60
MRMJP

Quote:
iZotope makes quick work of erasing feedback like that.

I like the harmonic selection tool!
(There's always some saturation generated harmonics on those feedback bursts! I mean... you know... when someone else - obviously not you - was running the live sound. )

Makes what would have been a little tricky to clean up take 5 minutes.

Heh, 400 though?! Whats the hell was going on there?
Yeah, RX is pretty amazing. I like using it as REAPER's external editor because then you still have quick access to the original audio in sections you edit. Doing it all in RX leaves you with no trail of your work and RX connect just kind of sucks in any DAW for fast/rapid fire edits.

Well, the show was from the late 1980s so there is no chance for a redo...but hopefully when it's released, the fans that are familiar with the bootleg will appreciate the lack of feedback squeals from the vocal mic.

Must have been a rough nite for the sound person.

Last edited by MRMJP; 06-25-2019 at 12:05 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #61
serr

Oh a field recording even. Heh.

I did a bit with a live audience source recording once where two dueling lead guitars were awkwardly unbalanced in a section. Erased one of the parts with the spectral editor. (Again, that harmonic selection tool!) Polarity reversals and nulling... Now I had them separated on tracks to remix. Solo'd, the isloated part was a little artifacty but you never heard a thing in the "remix".

I think I had iZotope as Reaper's external editor a while ago. It's just as quick to just open it and I always leave a trail of breadcrumbs as it were with original takes. Not a fan of Reaper's take system though (multiple audio streams in a single item).

Reaper is slick with the ability to replace source audio in items with a click. I use that method all the time.

I still might revisit that and maybe try some of your scripts since you spent the effort to dial that functionality up like that though.

Last edited by serr; 06-25-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #62
MRMJP

Quote:
Oh a field recording even. Heh.

I did a bit with a live audience source recording once where two dueling lead guitars were awkwardly unbalanced in a section. Erased one of the parts with the spectral editor. (Again, that harmonic selection tool!) Polarity reversals and nulling... Now I had them separated on tracks to remix. Solo'd, the isloated part was a little artifacty but you never heard a thing in the "remix".

I think I had iZotope as Reaper's external editor a while ago. It's just as quick to just open it and I always leave a trail of breadcrumbs as it were with original takes. Not a fan of Reaper's take system though (multiple audio streams in a single item).

Reaper is slick with the ability to replace source audio in items with a click. I use that method all the time.

I still might revisit that and maybe try some of your scripts since you spent the effort to dial that functionality up like that though.
Yeah, I actually like the trail of breadcrumbs of REAPER's take system for this task. Not sure if I'd like it for normal recording and mixing but it is was it is.

With the current way, if I decide I need to redo a section better or different, the original audio is right there on a muted take. I just have to select it, double click it, and a fresh copy opens in RX for me to edit again. Save/overwrite the file in RX, close the file, and there is for me in REAPER, it perfect time/sync.

I love this about REAPER.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #63
fakemaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post

What is the benefit of using 64-bit audio over 32-bit?
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #64
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
What is the benefit of using 64-bit audio over 32-bit?
There must be some benefit if REAPER can do it
Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #65
serr

64 bit floating point is for the internal signal paths in the digital system. It preserves the full 24 bit resolution of any audio source throughout the system no matter how low you might have a channel fader in the mix.

Printing 32 bit floating point files allows you to export audio without having to pay attention to framing it precisely in a fixed 24 bit container to fully preserve the resolution. You'd have to have such a silly low level for the meat of a signal (too lazy to do the math right now, not sorry) and at the same time some full scale peaks to push something over the edge to where you'd lose ANY resolution with 32 bit fp vs 64 bit fp. Exporting at 64 bit fp would be a moot point and precisely identical to the 32 bit fp file 999,999,999 times out of a billion (not checking that math either and yes being slightly silly).

Now, if you have some files you've created and saved at 64 bit fp imported into a project... lots of zero padding going on there! You'd be truly fine working at 32 bit fp with anything you didn't feel like framing in 24 bit fixed.

Yeah, and don't you dare let me catch you listening to anything 16 bit! Appalling! Disgusting!
And if there's a single mp3 in your collection, we're coming to get ya!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #66
morfi

Quote:
64 bit floating point is for the internal signal paths in the digital system. It preserves the full 24 bit resolution of any audio source throughout the system no matter how low you might have a channel fader in the mix.

Printing 32 bit floating point files allows you to export audio without having to pay attention to framing it precisely in a fixed 24 bit container to fully preserve the resolution. You'd have to have such a silly low level for the meat of a signal (too lazy to do the math right now, not sorry) and at the same time some full scale peaks to push something over the edge to where you'd lose ANY resolution with 32 bit fp vs 64 bit fp. Exporting at 64 bit fp would be a moot point and precisely identical to the 32 bit fp file 999,999,999 times out of a billion (not checking that math either and yes being slightly silly).

Now, if you have some files you've created and saved at 64 bit fp imported into a project... lots of zero padding going on there! You'd be truly fine working at 32 bit fp with anything you didn't feel like framing in 24 bit fixed.

Yeah, and don't you dare let me catch you listening to anything 16 bit! Appalling! Disgusting!
And if there's a single mp3 in your collection, we're coming to get ya!
I have to say I agree with you and, at the same time, I don't.

Yes, 32-bit floating point is more than enough good quality for everything one can do (not "most mixes" nor "most listening environments", etc.) and you can perfectly go with it and forget about anything else.

On the other hand, REAPER is always doing maths at 64-bit floating point numbers so why "crystalize" them (i.e. print them, freeze them, glue them...) in ANY other resolution other the native one - that can't be good.
A lot of plug-ins also process AND output a buss of 64-bit audio stream, so same thing applies.
Finally, I understand that a computer bussing pieces of information at 64-bits chucks (i.e. REAPER x64) works better and smoother when dealing original 64-bit instructions (audio streams) rather than 32-bits.

Sorry for the lack of accuracy in my technical terms!
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #67
tdc

Hi All,

I sincerely hope I am being a goose, and that there is actually someway to send more than a stereo track to RX, process and then return?

In Pro Tools I could do up to 16ch at a time, was perfect for multitrack live performance cleaning.

Cheers,
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote