Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 04-22-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
MrNocturne
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne Essential only working on one track?

Hi guys.

I have been using Melodyne Essentials the old fasioned way for a while, and recently disovered the new ARA compatability.

It works brilliantly, I add it to the FX chain of a track and voila! The audio blobs are already loaded and ready to go.

Until I add another instance of Melodyne to a second track, and no transfer happens at all.

I can freeze the first track and disable that instance of melodyne, then the second instance will work (once I delete and re-apply it), but surely that isn't how you are supposed to opperate it..

Am I missing something?
MrNocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
mschnell

I suppose you need to ask Celemoy about the limitations of "Essential"
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Michael AD

The Celemony website says that only their Studio version (top-of-their-line) of Melodyne will let you see and edit multiple tracks simultaneously.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Stella645

It's not a limitation and the website refers to what you can do within a single instance...nothing to do with oipening multi instances like this.

I just tested three tracks and they all auto analysed fine on inserting the plug

Are you sure you're not somehow selecting the vst2 version on the second track??
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
thefastener

I have this exact problem using Melodyne Essential, but not all the time. Second instance of melodyne just sits there blank. Other problems that I have are as follows: Occasionally it will load another instance, but it will revert all my changes on the original melodyne instance. Another problem that happens is that adjusting on one instance will cause adjustments on another as well. I thought it may be because the tracks are under a folder, but moving them out doesn't always fix it.
thefastener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #6
MrNocturne

Thanks for the replys peeps.

Yeah, Stella645, is correct, I'm not trying to bring up several tracks in one instance of Melodyne, which you can absolutely do in higher versions. I am attempting to run several instances of melodyne on several different tracks.

I'll keep messing with it and see what I come up with.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
thefastener

FYI I reported this as a bug here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220188
Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
Burnsjethro

Yes I had this problem and got round it by using VST with transfer option but then I put Melodyne on my second computer and there was only VST3 and VST (with no ARA but transfer).

The answer from Melodyne for both questions was : You have track 01 did some corrections and now want to change the pitch of track 02.
FIRST you need to click on the track header of track 02 in reaper and then open the Melodyne window on track 02.
NOW the focus is on the second Melodyne instance and the changes will stay only on this track.

My second question: The only problem with just having the VST3 is it sometimes does not load!

Answer: This may be an issue with the edit mode. If this occurs again please first try to get in Clip Mode and then turn back to the Edit Mode.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
thefastener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsjethro View Post
The answer from Melodyne for both questions was : You have track 01 did some corrections and now want to change the pitch of track 02.
FIRST you need to click on the track header of track 02 in reaper and then open the Melodyne window on track 02.
NOW the focus is on the second Melodyne instance and the changes will stay only on this track.
Thank you so much for this info!
Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 AM   #10
MrNocturne

Default OMG! Burnsjethro nailed it!

You put an instance of Melodyne Essential on each track, then to access the edits of the second track, you click on the Reaper track (Highlighting it) to switch Melodoynes focus to that track, and blamo! It populates Melodynes window with track twos edits.. It's so simple.. I feel stupid.

This has been a pain in my ass for ever!
Old 03-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
DVDouglas
Banned

This seems very simple to solve instance of Melodyne Essential on each track, but I understand that you are perhaps a beginner and for that there are those who know the subject the most. regards
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #12
MrNocturne

"This seems very simple to solve instance of Melodyne Essential on each track"

DVDouglas - Not sure you understand what the issue was. I am not a beginner, I have been using Reaper since version 3 and DAWs for about 20 years.

The issue is when you open a second instance of Melodyne Essential on a second track, it would appear that the audio wouldn't parse into that instance of Melodyne.

The confusing part is that it seems that when Melodyne Essential is added to several tracks, each track shares the same FX window. You switch between tracks that melodyne is affecting by physically selecting the track header that you want to edit in Reaper. Even if you open the FX window from that track, you still haven't selected the actual track for editing so you get a black Melodyne screen.

I personally have never seen several instances of a plugin use the same FX window. That's what threw me. For example if I put, two instances of GuitarRig on two tracks, There will be two FX windows each with a separate instance of GuitarRig. That is not the case with Melodyne.

Probably a rookie mistake, but you can see why it would be confusing when literally very other plugin I have used (Including older versions of Melodyne don't do it that way).

Hopefully this helps other who are struggling with this.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
mindmunch

I just want to add that Melodyne 4 Editor has the same problem.

I won't bother with the makeshift solution of selecting the track header before the plugin because I can't risk losing all my edits due to a misplaced click.

I wish Reaper eventually manage to solve this thing out because I feel really stupid for paying so much money on an upgrade I can't use. I only upgraded to version 4 because the new ARA workflow looked amazing.

It would be understandable if it was a very niche plugin but Melodyne has been a staple for so many years in the industry. :/
mindmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #14
Burnsjethro

Maybe, it's a completely silly comment but I have (cross fingers) a lot problems since using the transfer version (VST rather than VST3) of Melodyne, so not using the ARA version.
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:07 AM   #15
karlingen

For anyone with this problem, this is a "feature" in Melodyne that you can disable. Open Melodyne and untick Options > Follow selection in DAW
karlingen is offline   Reply With Quote