Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
inarisound
Human being with feelings

Default Please help with Subwoofer puzzle!

I really hope someone could help me with the best/cheap solution of this puzzle.

How can I connect/use subwoofer to my stereo system?
Are there any adapters, splitters that I can use?

My friend gave me huge and powerful subwoofer... I was not ready for such a gift.

I want to connect it... but my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) simply lack of outputs.

I know that sometimes it's possible to send audio from speakers(monitors) to subwoofer... but I'm also out of luck here because don't have that option on my Yamaha HS5 speakers

My subwoofer (Infinity Intermezzo 1.2s) have some options in terms of inputs... it has RCA option witch is good... but again... I'm not sure if there are some ways to connect it using adapters/splitters or buying new interface?

Could you please advice me with the best and the cheapest solution to that "puzzle"
I really love my audio interface... so if there are options to get adapters please let me know ^_^

sincerely yours,
inari
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
DVDdoug

The "proper" solution is an active crossover.

A regular home theater receiver has a built-in crossover, but most only work with passive main/surround speakers and an active sub.

But, you can get-away with a basic Y-splitter (with appropriate adapters). That way you can send the signal to the monitors and the sub.

Of course, without a crossover the full frequency-range will be fed to both the monitors and the sub. The sub has a low pass filter, but some bass will come out of the monitors so there will be some overlap. (It looks like your monitors have a low roll-off switch but you can't control the "crossover" frequency.)
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
The "proper" solution is an active crossover.

A regular home theater receiver has a built-in crossover, but most only work with passive main/surround speakers and an active sub.

But, you can get-away with a basic Y-splitter (with appropriate adapters). That way you can send the signal to the monitors and the sub.

Of course, without a crossover the full frequency-range will be fed to both the monitors and the sub. The sub has a low pass filter, but some bass will come out of the monitors so there will be some overlap. (It looks like your monitors have a low roll-off switch but you can't control the "crossover" frequency.)

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm very newbie at this... so if possible, could you please give a bit more details on what is "appropriate adapters" mean?

and will
Nady CX-22SW 2-Way Stereo Crossover work for my case?

sincerely yours,
inari
Old 05-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #4
domzy

isn't everyone overcomplicating this? - it looks like it has line level outputs & the sub is obviously powered, so don't you just need to plug your interface outs into the sub and take the line outs of your sub into the yamahas - it looks like there are crossover controls on the sub to adjust the lpf. So i don't think you need any extra gear like others suggest.

edit - method 2 in the link coachz posted?

Last edited by domzy; 05-16-2019 at 06:10 AM.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
isn't everyone overcomplicating this? - it looks like it has line level outputs & the sub is obviously powered, so don't you just need to plug your interface outs into the sub and take the line outs of your sub into the yamahas - it looks like there are crossover controls on the sub to adjust the lpf. So i don't think you need any extra gear like others suggest.

I didn't see there was an amp so I think you are correct. I deleted my post to avoid confusion.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
inarisound

Quote:

DVDdoug, domzy, Coachz

Thank you so much ! I think after some research I came up with solution... witch I think should work...

I bought two Y splitters for left and right channel witch would go to my audio interface that way I can have an extra output for subwoofer...

and because subwoofer dose not have TS connection I have to buy adapter for it too.... this one

I still don't know if that will work.... or if it will work properly... =\ ... but as was mentioned before, it's better than buying new gear.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
domzy

this is the link from coachz deleted post, set up as in method 2

https://usermanual.wiki/Infinity/Inf...4.39447137.pdf

the sub has a crossover and amp built in.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
domzy

you don't need splitters, just RCA to jack cables
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
inarisound

Quote:
this is the link from coachz deleted post, set up as in method 2

https://usermanual.wiki/Infinity/Inf...4.39447137.pdf

the sub has a crossover and amp built in.
Huge thank you domzy & coachz!

According to the method 2 it should work !

<3 Thank you!
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #10
inarisound

Quote:
you don't need splitters, just RCA to jack cables
Hmmmm....how come? I have only two line outputs on my scarlett? where do I put the RCA for sub and TS for Yamaha then ?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
domzy

out of scarlet into the "low level inputs" on the sub - you'll need TS to RCA leads for this, then RCA out of the line outs of the sub into your yamahas - you can adjust the crossover frequency on the sub. It's all explained in that manual.

edit - in that diagram, the scarlett is your preamp and the yamahas are amplifier

Last edited by domzy; 05-16-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
DVDdoug

Actually, since the subwoofer has low-level outputs, you don't need a splitter.

Connect your interface to the subwoofer (RCA) inputs.

Connect the subwoofer low-level (RCA) outputs to your monitors. (The subwoofer apparently has a full-crossover built-in so the low-bass to the monitors can be blocked, and that's a good thing!)

Quote:
what is "appropriate adapters" mean?
I mean you'll need adapters (or adapter cables) because you've got a mixture of RCA, 3.5mm, TRS, and XLR connectors.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
inarisound

Quote:
out of scarlet into the "low level inputs" on the sub - you'll need TS to RCA leads for this, then RCA out of the line outs of the sub into your yamahas - you can adjust the crossover frequency on the sub. It's all explained in that manual.
Ow I see... that's another solution!

Thank you so much! idk why I somehow disregarded that sub can send audio itself xD
Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Actually, since the subwoofer has low-level outputs, you don't need a splitter.

Connect your interface to the subwoofer (RCA) inputs.

Connect the subwoofer low-level (RCA) outputs to your monitors. (The subwoofer apparently has a full-crossover built-in so the low-bass to the monitors can be blocked, and that's a good thing!)

I mean you'll need adapters (or adapter cables) because you've got a mixture of RCA, 3.5mm, TRS, and XLR connectors.

YES! Thank you!!! <3
Old 05-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
Coachz

Quote:

edit - in that diagram, the scarlett is your preamp and the yamahas are amplifier
Correct
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote