Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default HUGE project, excited to help users w/ Maschine MK2/Studio/MK3/Mikro MK2/Jam 4 Reaper

Hi all!

I've been working tirelessly (and tiredly) on setting up Reaper Actions (both Custom and regular), to make a near-mouseless workflow with Maschine MK2, Studio, MK3, Maschine Jam AND Mikro MK2 (and of course, Controller Editor Templates for each of them).

They're all making good use out of the jogwheel (on Studio) and the Click-Encoder (on MK2, Mikro MK2, and Maschine MK3).

Trying to make each button correspond with good, useful Reaper functions (at least for me). I make indie/ambient/dreamy stuff as well as hip-hop and a lot of electronic stuff.

Actions covered:

Jogwheel - Jog by measure (left or right), and center button shows/hides FX Chain (or another function, depending on the Template or page).. super helpful... Easily add a marker to your project with the Enter or Lock button on all Maschines.

(Maschine Studio has 6 total Jogwheel pages which are INSANELY useful). Basically only need one Controller Editor Template for Maschine Studio. The MK2 and MK3 need different Templates for the Click-Encoder to be set to other stuff, which, after some thought, serves best as a jog wheel (left/right per measure) or track scroll (previous/next). You can also track up/down with a pair of buttons. Advantage of Mikro MK2-- each PAGE per Template can have a different encoder function. That totally rules.

Top button functions depend on the page you're on: item editing, midi channel routing/mapping, track template/plugin inserts, automation modes, play/loop regions directly, hit up markers directly... the encoders serve different functions, depending on what page you're on (such as track volume, pan, zoom in/out, playrate, semitone adjust on items, etc).

One of the Pad Pages serves as Track Mutes (for tracks 1-8)... allowing mute envelope automation for automated mutes (hip-hop / MPC-style), other editing functions such as time selection set start point, time selection set end point, select item at cursor point, split item, copy/paste together as one function, glue item, trim right edge (for extending loops, insanely fast), etc.

And, with the Media Explorer, you can use the Jogwheel or Click-Encoder for auditioning samples/loops, enter subfolders with a button (or push of the click-encoder), drop the items in with a button press (again, or click-encoder), or go "back to parent directory" with another... super handy, and feels like browsing sounds on Maschine! But bonus-- there's previews of EVERYTHING since it's Media Explorer.... everything you have in your samples folder, that is... (unlike a lot of Maschine's library sounds).

This has been a huge, huge undertaking for me (began in Nov. 2018)... but, the more I thought about how utterly amazing the OLDER Maschine controllers are (including Mikro MK2!) for CONTROL SURFACES... and how utterly customizable the Native Instruments Controller Editor is (Toggle, Gate, Inc, and my absolute favorite function TRIGGER).... etc. etc. etc..... the more I was like, I HAVE to do this for Reaper people.

I even have a Maschine Track Template for Reaper (version 5.983 tested, 64-bit), that allows you to use Maschine as a plugin, but record the MIDI directly into Reaper, and switch between "Maschine Mode" and "MIDI Mode"... and just really have the best of both worlds. Much like the Template I made for version 1.8 in early 2013 (here on the forum, but severely outdated).

I want to do a multi-part YouTube series on how to get the most of these truly awesome Maschine controllers... it's probably the ultimate Reaper control surface, if you think about it. If you use your imagination and the Actions.... NEARLY anything is possible with Reaper. And thank you, as always, to SWS Extensions.

Hang tight... more updates as they come!!!

4.22.2020 update (supported controllers):
-NI Maschine MK3, Studio, MK2, Mikro MK2, Jam, Mikro MK3, Komplete M32
-Arturia Keylab MK2, Essential, Minilab MK2, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro
- Arturia SparkLE (added June 18th, 2019-- kind of a pain, as it never remembers the Working Memory with Midi Control Center, if you unplug the USB cable... so you have to send it to the SparkLE, then close MCC, then open Reaper, and make sure everything works)
-Behringer X-Touch Mini and X-Touch Compact
- Akai MPD32
- Novation ReMOTE SL Mk1 (25, 37, 49, 61, and ReMOTE Zero SL)
- Novation Launch Control XL
- Novation SL MKIII / MK3 (49 and 61-key)
- Novation Launchpad Pro MK3, Launchpad X, Launchpad Mini MK3, Launchkey Mini MK3

no longer supported:
NI Komplete Kontrol S-series (MK1)-- you get a lot of functionality with Jurgen's DrivenByMoss4Reaper plugin, so go with that, for this (his version 8.97 is very stable and fixed a lot of bugs)!
M-Audio Axiom Air Mini 32 -- global channel, only... and no software editor. Kind of a pain in the ass.... might re-support it, later.

videos from September 2019:

Last edited by themixtape; 04-22-2020 at 10:40 AM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
egoplasma

Very nice! Can´t wait....
egoplasma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
HiveMind

This sounds amazing. Very excited to see what you've come up with!
HiveMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
themixtape

Thanks for your interest, guys!

I literally have put in 80+ hours of this, already. Configuring, re-configuring.... mathematically-thinking... what is the most useful, where should it be mapped....

SO much work.

Btw, this will also be for Arturia's Keylab MK2, and POSSIBLY Keylab Essential, as well.

AND other controllers... but, for now... Maschine.

FYI... there's no better value used than a Maschine Studio or MK2... $150-200 right now (and for months)... worth it, even WITHOUT the Maschine software.

edit (April 12th, 2019): The Mikro MK2 is insanely dope for the price, used, too. Still has a Click-Encoder... less buttons, but, you can map the drumpads to CC#s, to get more Reaper buttons if you need them. And something I really, really love about the Mikro MK2 is that the Click-Encoder can be assigned to a different CC# depending on the "Page" you're on (in Maschine MIDI mode). Much like the Studio. And you don't even have to switch Templates. The MK3 can't do this, neither can the regular MK2. Very nice.

Last edited by themixtape; 04-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
foxAsteria

Not to undermine the time you've already put into this but...

I actually did this already with MIDI-Ox some years ago. It works for any Maschine hardware and can be configured for any controller to convert note messages to CC and sending all CC on different channels depending on which of the middle row buttons you hold. Basically this mimics Maschine workflow with Maschine as a MIDI controller in Reaper.

Check it out if you like: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207939

I can work mouselessly with a Maschine Mikro, but it's easily adapted to any MIDI device that can send notes by setting the buttons to be used as momentary channel switches to PC 112-119 in the controller editor.

You can also check out these templates I made for Maschine in Reaper:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950
You can record MIDI in Reaper without ever switching to MIDI mode... Truly "best of both worlds."

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 PM   #6
LowlyOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hi all!
Many words detailing awesome things...]
:O thank you for your hard work! I don't own any of the three but if nothing else I'm more inspired to get to work on integrating my Maschine JAM into Reaper. I have not yet read past the OP, so maybe Jam has been brought up already - but its layout would be - in my opinion - a perfect DAW controller.

I've literally only mapped three (transport) actions so far. But with what I've learned myself using ReaLearn combined w native mapping I'll have LED's cooperating as well.

I won't derail the thread but look out for a thread (sometime this century) for the Jam - and feel free to PM if you'd like to share tips/collaborate. I'll hopefully get a Maschine Studio to add to my setup (sometime this millennium) as I'd like to test this (I'd also like to own a Maschine Studio, period.)

Thanks again. And damn you, because this is going to be a lot of work
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #7
themixtape

Absolutely!!!! I have a Maschine Jam too and forgot to mention it. Original post changed to reflect that Jam is included. Additionally, I’m going to pick up a Mikro MK2. I think that is another more than useful controller for Reaper. It’s that damn click encoder. I am addicted to those things these days. The Jam of course has one, too.

I am hoping to wrap up a majority of the work this weekend. I hope. Soooo much to still do. Oh and now I am even more stoked on the Arturia controllers. Specifically the Beatstep. Hella good for Reaper too. But nowhere near as good as the Maschines. But one huge advantage the Beatstep has is... 16 User Maps... 16 encoders, 16 pads (aka Buttons). AND, through http://taktility.com, you can buy blank Beatstep overlays, or custom-printed ones... I asked Daniel (the guy who runs it) if he could do some overlays for MK2, MK3, Mikro MK2 and Studio... really hope so. Maybe Jam, as well. That site is like the only site that has overlays for good midi controllers. I bought several for my Novation Launch Control XL a few months back (side note: Novation REALLY needs to release a Launch Control XL MK2... with ENCODERS this time. And ideally, 32 buttons instead of 16.

Would love to know how you’re using Jam with Reaper so far especially with led feedback?

Last edited by themixtape; 04-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
themixtape

I forgot how awesome Mikro MK2 still is. The click-encoder can be changed to a different CC or Note-Relative mode depending on what page you're on, without changing Templates (much like the Maschine Studio). Dig that. A lot.

Added Mikro MK2 to the customization stuff!
Old 04-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
themixtape

Will look into your work... thanks! I'm not saying I'm the first to do any of this... just wanted to help people out with those older controllers... all of which whose prices dropped DRASTICALLY since MK3 came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Not to undermine the time you've already put into this but...

I actually did this already with MIDI-Ox some years ago. It works for any Maschine hardware and can be configured for any controller to convert note messages to CC and sending all CC on different channels depending on which of the middle row buttons you hold. Basically this mimics Maschine workflow with Maschine as a MIDI controller in Reaper.

Check it out if you like: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207939

I can work mouselessly with a Maschine Mikro, but it's easily adapted to any MIDI device that can send notes by setting the buttons to be used as momentary channel switches to PC 112-119 in the controller editor.

You can also check out these templates I made for Maschine in Reaper:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194950
You can record MIDI in Reaper without ever switching to MIDI mode... Truly "best of both worlds."
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #10
themixtape

More progress made....

I even have a PDF cutout for Maschine MK2 (top left, middle left) that shows the midi mappings, and the same for Beatstep and Keylab MK2's buttons (and DAW Control section).

I measured everything best I could (centimeters of course... USA needs to scrap "inches" and adopt the metric system like the rest of the world).... and, so far so good. I printed things out onto decent card stock, so they lay flat without curling, or needing to be taped down.

BTW-- any graphic designers out there interested in making blank white templates for MIDI mode / Reaper stuff? Ideally from decent-quality materials, that lays flat and is erasable or that type of material that you can write on with those special pens and then throw in freezer to erase it or something? Very curious if anyone (ideally USA) can make precise, machined overlays for this giganto project.

Taktility.com is a great site.... but he doesn't have EVERYTHING... and I want to see if someone can make stuff for MK2, Mikro MK2, MK3, Jam, and Studio, primarily.

Thanks! More news as it comes...
Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #11
themixtape

Got the Maschine Jam mapped out... additionally, some Jam pages for Megababy (3 pages total) and a page for Playtime use.

So much work. But enjoying every minute of it.

Can anyone help with overlays for any of these devices? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
themixtape

Added support and midi configurations for Behringer X-Touch Mini!

I need to get around to making a video for this stuff... so busy til the end of the month, then should have a little more time in May.

Still wondering/hoping anyone with graphics design experience could help with custom-fitted overlays for Maschine MK2, Studio, etc. Would be awesome.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #13
LowlyOP

I'm still interested in this and following, however i've been extremely busy and haven't even got around to testing.

The question earlier RE: how am I using Machine Jam in Reaper currently i've not even gone further than mapping Transports.

I intend do a walkthru video of my setup's use of ReaLearn (and/or other vst's, hosts etc) to map more intricate commands as well as LED feedback than Reaper currently allows natively. The main controller for such a guide would be a DDM-4000 mixer as this is currently my most mapped-out midi device and thus would provide more examples and better demonstrate what is possible with most any controller - not just a (DDM-4000 or NI Maschine XYZ)

That is where i at in terms of a plan. In the meantime I will continue to follow your progress and work towards mapping the JAM .
LowlyOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
GenerousMix

Default How to get?

Thanks just joined the forum (and using Reaper). Would love to connect my MK3 to reaper.
Thom
GenerousMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
themixtape

Thanks! Yeah the MK3 started it all for me... you'll definitely be able to do a lot. I have got to get around to making a video demonstrating it.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #16
themixtape

Still working on the guide... I keep finding minor inconsistencies among certain controllers and whatnot.

SO much work.

Btw, added support for Novation Remote SL (for me, the 37-key MK1), and Novation SL MKIII.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #17
Uwe

Default Great Project

As a (old) new reaper user i would love to have control over reaper with my maschine studio

Uwe
Uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:00 AM   #18
zedug

This does look exciting indeed, as I have acquired an MK3 in part in order to establish a mouseless workflow.
The mouse/kb interface just numbs my musical creativity, I have found.

So yes I'm very eager to see the result of your hard work.
zedug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #19
themixtape

Hey guys, I've been sick for literally 32 days straight with a chest cold / bronchitis / pneumomnia... low fever that comes and goes, coughing up phlegm... I hate it. Antibiotics don't work (it's viral). I'm getting plenty of rest, drinking over a gallon of water a day, eating well, etc. Just cannot shake this.

As soon as I get fully better/recovered, I'll be making some brief videos demonstrating the midi mapping with various controllers, especially the Maschine MK3 which seems to be generating the most interest.

Thanks again for your patience! Hopefully I will be fully recovered soon... ugh. It's just hell. I feel fine (walking around, going to work, doing stuff) but I'm functioning at like 73% of my normal energy. It's a drag.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #20
themixtape

Ok, finally getting better, it seems. Thankfully.

I'm slammed with work this weekend and for the next few weeks, but I have off the first week of July for vacation. I'll put out the PDF guide and template files (zip, etc) and do the video tutorials as thorough as I can, that week.... maybe earlier.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
themixtape

Support for Arturia SparkLE added! Very, very customizable MIDI controller! Every single thing on it can be mapped with the MIDI Control Center software.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
themixtape

Still working on everything. Had to retweak everything, because of Arturia Analog Lab 4 mapping (Channel 1, CC112, 115, etc).. it screwed up a lot of my Reaper configs.

I'm hoping to have at least one video made, and the PDF showing all the mappings... sometime soon. Maybe this weekend, and if not, certainly first half of August.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #23
Cojo Guitar

So cool! I'm running (mostly) NI hardware and I, for one, can't WAIT! to see what'cha been workin' on!
Cojo Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #24
themixtape

Still trying to find the time to get the videos done...

Been dealing with mad stress with disrespectful roomiez. One headache gone, the other headache gone in a few days... can't wait til things mellow out a bit.

First video will be a very, very basic overview of the functions. Very basic. Kind of like how Jurgen goes over his DrivenByMoss stuff... he quickly goes "it can do this, this, this... enjoy!" I need to just make a quick, streamlined and heavily-edited video just to regenerate some interest since this project is months old. haha.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
mehmethan

Very good news for maschine users. I’ve just got my mk3 and jam.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #26
monk

Default Can't Wait!

I just ordered the MiniLab Mk2 and this will be a great help.

Sorry about the roomiez, I just went through something similar, arrgh! That kind of stress is horrible!
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #27
themixtape

Almost finished with the Maschine configs.... the Arturia stuff needs revising and tweaking, too.... won't be much longer now!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #28
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I just ordered the MiniLab Mk2 and this will be a great help.

Sorry about the roomiez, I just went through something similar, arrgh! That kind of stress is horrible!
Indeed, it is... the worst thing about dealing with toxic people is them believing their behavior and the way they talk to their "friends", demands they make, and the defiance they demonstrate, isn't toxic. Hit me up with a DM, I'd like to hear your story! I'll respond with the details of mine if you're interested!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #29
themixtape

Ok, here's a QUICK rundown of what to expect! Keep in mind, some other controllers do not have the extended functionality of the MK3 controller, but this is what initially inspired the project!

Last edited by themixtape; 08-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #30
zedug

I'm literally watching the vid really quick before heading out, and boy does it look good...
Really excited, can't wait to try it out on my MK3
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #31
themixtape

Thanks! I'm excited to finally get this stuff out... 16-page PDF almost ready (it might be more pages, depending)... the Maschine Templates, Reaper Keymaps (that's the most important part, to get this working), the videos showing me using the hardware and showing the display, to see how everything works smoothly and fast... etc.

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #32
themixtape

Got a demonstration video ready with Maschine Studio... (part 1)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by themixtape; 08-31-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #33
themixtape

bumping in case anyone missed this! Pretty soon I'll be releasing the manual/guide PDF, and all template files and such. Maschine Jam is especially interesting and fun... you'll see
Old 09-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #34
mehmethan

Quote:
bumping in case anyone missed this! Pretty soon I'll be releasing the manual/guide PDF, and all template files and such. Maschine Jam is especially interesting and fun... you'll see
My eyes are always on this thread since I discovered it. I waiting for maschine jam
Thanks for all your effords and sharing with us.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 AM   #35
zedug

same here... I'm subscribed to this thread and staring at my MK3 !
Old 09-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #36
themixtape

Almost done. I had to re-do MORE midi mappings...

I had to re-do Maschine MK3, Studio, MK2... when one change with happens with one device, I have to re-do it on the other two devices... argh.

I had Midi CC# / Channel conflicts... because I didn't keep track of new functions I added, and didn't make note that I already used those Midi CC#s.

It NEVER ends.

But... this weekend, I'm hoping to at least release a beta for anyone who wants to beta-test... I had someone comment on my YouTube channel video for the MK3... asking for beta-testing. I could definitely use the help!

Stuff is NUTS.

And FUN!!!
Old 09-25-2019, 11:46 PM   #37
mschnell

Quote:
It NEVER ends.
That is why CSI is crafted in the way it is... (totally unspecific software, configurable by text files)
Quote:
And FUN!!!
Hopefully...
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #38
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
That is why CSI is crafted in the way it is... (totally unspecific software, configurable by text files)

Hopefully...
-Michael
Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #39
mschnell

I'm right now trying to start a project to do a Reaper extension. (Aiming to a completely different purpose.)
Not exactly FUN yet....
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-04-2019 at 10:34 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #40
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I'm right now trying to start a project to do a Reaper extension.
Not exactly FUN yet....
-Michael
Gotcha... look forward to checking it out!