Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
Thurston
Human being with feelings

Default File Locations on Multiple Hard Drives - Giola Video or manual?

I know this has been talked about before, but I just got a new SSD for Windows and I'm cleaning up my hard drives for better organization. Not the most excited topic, I know, but I want to make a fresh start and do things right while I'm thinking about it.

I'm looking for a good source explaining the various types of files (loops, samples, peaks, default recording path, etc), where to have them saved, and how to configure Reaper to save them there.

Is the a one-stop place to read up on or watch this? A specific section in the manual or maybe one of the Giola videos?

Last edited by Thurston; 07-15-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
Don Schenk

It is in the Giaola videos...

03TracksandTrackManager_HD

:-Don
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Thurston

Don- Thanks, but I didn't see anything related in that video, did you mean to suggest a different one?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Thurston

I think I found it, Video 2 New Project and Templates.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston View Post
I know this has been talked about before, but I just got a new SSD for Windows and I'm cleaning up my hard drives for better organization. Not the most excited topic, I know, but I want to make a fresh start and do things right while I'm thinking about it.

I'm looking for a good source explaining the various types of files (loops, samples, peaks, default recording path, etc), where to have them saved, and how to configure Reaper to save them there.

Is the a one-stop place to read up on or watch this? A specific section in the manual or maybe one of the Giola videos?
The SSD will be 5 - 10x faster in both speed and access time than any HDD.

OS/apps on the SSD only.
The remaining space will be your 'high performance' audio workspace. Use that for any live sound + recording or live performance or any large performance needing projects.

For samples, if your sampler plays from the hard drive then put your samples there too. Sample library too big? Then just make a subset of the ones you actually use for the SSD.

You can of course still work with projects with audio on your older HDD's. You will not always need the extended performance of the SSD for audio files. Just understand that the older advice of splitting everything up on multiple drives applied to HDD's which are much slower than your new SSD.

This is the biggest bang for the buck:
OS/apps/'high performance' audio workspace on the SSD.
Archived projects and other data and media on your HDD's.

In Reaper when you 'save as' and make a new project folder, all your audio goes there by default.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Thurston

Thanks Serr, pretty much what I had in mind. OS and superior drummer on the SDD, and will probably move other effects/samples there as well.

Audio (Reaper saved projects) will go on one of the HDD, with another for backup.

Everything seems to be running very smoothly, except I have a bit of a major issue with old projects not loading effects/VSTs... hoping I just need a simple path correction to point to the instrument and that my settings will be restored, but I'm not so sure.

Any advice?