Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
ambient
Human being with feelings

Default What's the current state of the X-Touch One in Reaper?

I'd like to buy one.

I've been searching around, and there's talk of things not working properly; updated firmware; and ongoing development for something called CSI.

I sort of get it, but I don't have a good sense of how well it works right now. I also don't follow some of the more technical stuff that's in those threads.

Could someone kindly summarise for me:
What doesn't work properly,
How difficult it is to get it working as best it can,
Should I give up and go for a faderport instead?
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
jelloman

I just got one a couple weeks ago...

I did some research into it before I got it, and knew there would be some issues with configuring it to work properly...once I got it the issues became pretty apparent...there's no real "preset configuration" that works as far as I can see, so I ended up just setting it to "user" and programmed every control manually in the action list...

It works, and definitely makes my workflow easier, but there are several functions not available to me in the manner I have it set up...none of the buttons light up when activated, the scratch pad remains dark at all times, and the motorized fader does not auto set itself to the selected track volume settings...the fader also resets itself to infinity a few seconds after I cease touching it...

I'm hopeful that the "CSI" team gets something working that I can use, but I'm not interested in being one of their Alpha or Beta testers so I'm going to have to be satisfied with it as it is...

Do I wish I had gone Faderport? I don't know, I don't have any data or experience with it to make that call...I think if the Faderport has full functionality in REAPER without needing some kind of "fix" it is probably the better choice at the moment...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
mschnell

AFAIK, Faderport suggest a completely different workflow, Hence you need to decide where you want to go.
I understand that at least somebody did succeed in usi8ng the "One" with CSI, but fine tuning is going on over there so you might want to ask Geoff and friends in the CSI thread.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
I just got one a couple weeks ago...

I did some research into it before I got it, and knew there would be some issues with configuring it to work properly...once I got it the issues became pretty apparent...there's no real "preset configuration" that works as far as I can see, so I ended up just setting it to "user" and programmed every control manually in the action list...

It works, and definitely makes my workflow easier, but there are several functions not available to me in the manner I have it set up...none of the buttons light up when activated, the scratch pad remains dark at all times, and the motorized fader does not auto set itself to the selected track volume settings...the fader also resets itself to infinity a few seconds after I cease touching it...

I'm hopeful that the "CSI" team gets something working that I can use, but I'm not interested in being one of their Alpha or Beta testers so I'm going to have to be satisfied with it as it is...

Do I wish I had gone Faderport? I don't know, I don't have any data or experience with it to make that call...I think if the Faderport has full functionality in REAPER without needing some kind of "fix" it is probably the better choice at the moment...
That doesn't sound like fun. The fader automatically going to the correct setting is kind of the entire point.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
ambient

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIK, Faderport suggest a completely different workflow, Hence you need to decide where you want to go.
I understand that at least somebody did succeed in usi8ng the "One" with CSI, but fine tuning is going on over there so you might want to ask Geoff and friends in the CSI thread.

-Michael
Cheers.