Old 01-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
heda
Human being with feelings

Default HeDaMixer v2.1.1 (2023-09-16)

Hi !!! I've been working in this new script/app which is intended to be like a secondary mixer window. The idea was not to replace REAPER mixer, but to have another window that can be useful to always have some tracks at hand. For example, VCA tracks, or some BUS tracks, or whatever is needed. By default it shows the selected tracks, until you lock them on display. There is also integration with Track Inspector tags with special instances that always show tracks by tag.

Right now it has basic functionality, like meter and fader gain, solo and mute buttons, FX and I/O buttons. It is easy to change the width of all the mixer, or a single track to make room for multichannel meter for example. It is possible to hide/show different elements of the mixer. Like faders, to have only a meter window. The meters support gain reduction meter reported by the compression plugins.

small gif with two docked instances(one for BUS tracks and one for the rest):

Please check here with larger videos(I don't know how to embed webm videos here in the forum): https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/blog/hedamixer-preview

There is still work to do, features to add etc, and I occasionally get some crashes that I need to fix, but the main framework is working, hopefully, and I wanted to announce this preview to let you all know how it is going.

I hope you like it! Let me know if you think it is interesting, or any idea you want. I'm creating this thread to be the official support thread for the script and gather feedback.
And hopefully maybe new VIP members that can support investing more time to release this script Thank you !

Last edited by heda; 09-16-2023 at 08:22 AM. Reason: updated title (version of latest update)
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
vitalker

IT IS... PERFECT!!!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
X-Raym

Very impressive ! It already has a lot of great idea like a (customizable) threshold value in the metter, the meter which have track color, the waveform... would need to be testd to see what is missing :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Philbo King

Looks very cool! One suggestion: Replace the ".0" on the fader/level display with the track name parsed vertically. Like this:

B
a
s
s

D
I
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 AM   #5
exidus

Man, this is s(l)ick!
I remember that I signed up here just to congrat you for the Track Inspector script when it was in its first versions...
Now I see that you did another miracle add-on that I cant wait to incorporate in my workflow!

::::::: My Mixcloud Page ::::::: EFMod_JN Theme :::::::
exidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 AM   #6
DynamicK

Nice work heda A great addition to your amazing scripts.
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Vagelis

That's amazing!!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
daxliniere

Jesus, Hector!! :O Amaazing!
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
mschnell

Really awesome !

And great that Reaper does feature the APIs that allow 3rd party geniuses to create such amazing stuff !

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #10
X-Raym

Maybe this script can be the occasion to solve the custom gradient metter ? One of the only feature I missed when I switched from cubase :P

Don't consider this feature extra priority, I get used to my colors now. But it can help those who are trying to mimic some hardware meters etc.

Just an idea :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #11
heda

@X-Raym... In Track Inspector, you can customize the gradient png file in the theme. so yes. In HeDaMixer I still haven't done anything about theming yet. Give me time to make it work first I have been fixing many small bugs today. I'm still having a bug in 1 pixel rounding issue in the meters... argghh...
For now you can change color after a reference level, but yes, after I do the theming options, it will be logical that it can use the same gradient for the meter as Track Inspector. I don't know if I would use it. I kind of like that the meter color inherits the track's color

Last edited by heda; 01-20-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #12
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Really awesome !

And great that Reaper does feature the APIs that allow 3rd party geniuses to create such amazing stuff !
In my books this does not exist, like facebook. Fine you develop it for yourself and vip. I prefer staying non-vip.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
RJHollins

Question ...

If we have the VIP Mixer, is it redundant to also have the 'public' release ?

thx
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Gianfini

Hi Heda, tested your HeDa Mixer. Not bad at all... my two wishes

I will use it as single track stripe. so I 'd like
- to have the containing window be large as the track stripe (currently it seems not possible to shrink the window to the track width if only one track exists)
- to have the track natively locked on the selected track when I launch the script. Now either is unlocked (so follows all subsequent selections) or it is locked always to the same track even if I close it and open again while selecting another track

let me know

thanks
g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #15
hopi

Heda... when you have moment, another question plz:

so currently say we have 3 mixers on screen... the all have their windows named HedaMixerVIP with a number at the front, 1 or 2 or whatever...

I tried to make copy of the lua file and rename the file and also to edit the name in the lua code... wishing I could get the GUI window to have names like:

DRUMS Mixer, STRINGS Mixer, BRASS Mixer, etc.

Is there a way to do that..? or could there be a built-in way?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Heda... when you have moment, another question plz:

so currently say we have 3 mixers on screen... the all have their windows named HedaMixerVIP with a number at the front, 1 or 2 or whatever...

I tried to make copy of the lua file and rename the file and also to edit the name in the lua code... wishing I could get the GUI window to have names like:

DRUMS Mixer, STRINGS Mixer, BRASS Mixer, etc.

Is there a way to do that..? or could there be a built-in way?
Two ways:
1) Using Track tags in Track Inspector VIP. When you click the "H" button for that tag, it opens a specific instance of HeDaMixer for the tracks with that tag and it is named as the tag

2) When copying and renaming the lua instance to the settings folder, when you edit the instance number inside the lua file, you can put the name there too. not just a number, for example:
instance = "STRINGS"
Old 02-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #17
G-Sun

Looking spectacular!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
hopi

Thanks for that info Heda... method 2 is what I wanted and works perfectly for my wishes... now I can make named mixers which makes it better to see and know what tracks are in each mixer....

I have missed the Cubase 3 possible mixers for a long time but holy cow... what you have created for reaper blows that away...
We now can have these 'endless' NAMED mixers that can be dedicated to what the name says... just amazing!!!!

hope the pan gets in there before long and curious to see what else you will come up with

PS: OMG I just found out I can use the Save As New Instance to save a mixer with a unique name! this just gets better and better
This newly discovered ability makes me wonder why there are the 1, 2 and 3 lua's... I ask because I see save as new instance
does not create a new lua but just new action... but that seems to work the same... as a completely unique instance.
Am I not understanding anything about this?

Last edited by hopi; 02-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
hopi

PITA here.. [I mean me ]

So Heda... I was just messing around with the theme png's for this and have made vol slider 2 the same a 1 but with a nice red color...
and seeing how nice that can be, it makes me wonder what it would take for you to allow a few more sliders... so we could make and use some diff colors much in the same way we can have diff color sliders in some reaper themes.

I'm thinking how good it would be to have the basic main slider colors, like gray [default for 1] red, blue, green, yellow, and maybe a couple more.

Would that be a major coding issue for you or fairly easy?

It is pretty easy for me to make the PSD file to create these and the various colored png files.

https://imgur.com/a/EomGI

Last edited by hopi; 02-26-2018 at 03:44 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 AM   #20
heda

Thanks @hopi
I created 1, 2 and 3 instances as an example. Maybe I should only include instance 1, because now there is that Save as new instance function you mention that adds the action and everything.

Yes, I will add support for more faders. I think I'll make it that it reads the png files from a specific folder and then adds all those faders or sliders and get the names from the file name. instead of Fader 1, Fader 2, etc...

Pan control like in the Track Inspector is to be added first.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
hopi

Hi Heda... thanks and a couple of more thoughts:

First... I totally agree about not needing the VIP 1, 2, 3 anymore since we can spawn new named instances into the action list so easily. That is a brilliant idea!!!!

OK, ...Someone posted about wanting a meter bridge for 30 tracks to use while recording an orchestra... and I pointed him to you and your mixer... and that got me into testing the mixer in more ways and I learned a lot...

So some thoughts about what I noticed:

Having the png's for faders in the 'theme' folder as you currently do is just fine with me... as it lets me edit them in photoshop in the normal way of working with a reaper theme... In so doing I realized the importance of your #2 fader for exactly such things as a 'meter bridge'... very good thinking on your part there! Because if you have many tracks and make they very narrow [say 10 px] then that fader really works nicely.

I still would like to have many colored faders possible... maybe by color name or at least by a number.

OK now what happens with very narrow tracks is we of course lose the other buttons at the top... M, S, FX and I/O... which is OK for just a basic meter bridge... but I thought it might be great to have those setting still available via a setting in the menu for each track... so when we can't get at them onscreen we could still get at them in the menu... right?

OK so then I noticed that for what he wanted which is a very compact mixer of many tracks [like on a laptop screen] he also wanted a Main Output track... hmmm.... so in my mock up I made a 'fake Master' as the first track at the left, made it wider and gave it a colored fader and routed all other tracks into it.... of course turned off their Master Parent send so they all go through the fake Master....

This is certainly workable for his needs but could have problems for more complex projects with lots of routings... So it would be more ideal to be able to actually have the real Master in your mixers... possible???

Also I thought it would be a really good option to have a persistent peak and\or clip indicator so one could quickly see if a given track had a problem.

I know... 'get the pan done first... LoL'...

I am so extremely impressed with your Mixer I can hardly contain myself.
OMG, the number of tracks one can organize on even a small screen is just amazing!

This lua takes reaper to a whole new level of useability.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #22
SebyMusic

Default Sends view Only

Hi is it possible to have a view of only the sends for selected tracks?
And maybe by default all tracks in project?

tks
Seby
SebyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #23
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
Hi is it possible to have a view of only the sends for selected tracks?
And maybe by default all tracks in project?

tks
Seby
it is not possible to view only the sends of selected tracks. You could create a new tab with the receives tracks.

for all tracks in project it is possible to select use MCP in the right click menu of the tab. although it doesn't update automatically for performance reasons as I can recall
Old 01-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #24
SebyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
it is not possible to view only the sends of selected tracks. You could create a new tab with the receives tracks.

for all tracks in project it is possible to select use MCP in the right click menu of the tab. although it doesn't update automatically for performance reasons as I can recall
hi tks for the answer. Yes I saw it was possible to put only received in there.
Do you think it could be possible to implement that?
I mean a Sends view?
tks
Seby
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #25
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebyMusic View Post
hi tks for the answer. Yes I saw it was possible to put only received in there.
Do you think it could be possible to implement that?
I mean a Sends view?
tks
Seby
a Sends view... I think you want a view that automatically finds all track that have receives right? This would be possible, yes.
I was searching if there is already some action in REAPER to select track with receives only, but I can't find any. There has to b e a script for that already somewhere... if so.. it would be as easy as running that action and then click + to create a new tab mixer with those tracks only. I'll add this to features for future versions.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #26
SebyMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
a Sends view... I think you want a view that automatically finds all track that have receives right? This would be possible, yes.
I was searching if there is already some action in REAPER to select track with receives only, but I can't find any. There has to b e a script for that already somewhere... if so.. it would be as easy as running that action and then click + to create a new tab mixer with those tracks only. I'll add this to features for future versions.
Actually. I really meant Sends view. Meaning :
We see all sends from track 1 grouped together kind of.
Same for track 2 . etc.....
That way we have access quickly visually to what we are Sending to an effect, not the receive part.

tks
Seby
Old 03-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #27
G-Sun

Issue: Control-surface don't follow mixer-fader (Faderport1)
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Issue: Control-surface don't follow mixer-fader (Faderport1)
Hey G-Sun !!! Nice to see you back

I don't have a control-surface, but I believe in the latest dev version they are going to introduce something to report track changes from the API.. so I'll check if I can do something about it. But without control surface, I cannot test it.
edit: ah you mean changing the fader volume? That should work? but I'll see if I can add the control surface function
Old 03-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #29
heda

Default v2.0pre24 (2020-03-10)

update for HeDamixer is finally out with several fixes and new features

HeDaMixer VIP * v2.0pre24 (2020-03-10)
+ Track depth support (up and down arrows to configure identation)
+ Settings>Show> Icon size
+ Settings>Show> Fader width area
+ Settings>Show> Highlight selected tracks border
+ Settings>Show> Show toolbar graph button
+ Settings>Color> Muted tracks color...
+ Settings>Color> Muted tracks overlay opacity...
+ Theme images with larger/smaller sizes support
+ Default_6 theme
# Menu: "Refresh Tracks" now also updates track order if changed in TCP and lock tracks is enabled.
# highlight selected track opacity setting more visible by default, matching default 6 theme.
# fix: vertical alignments of track icon, track name, track id. Optimizing vertical space when not showing these elements.
# fix: default meter width saved per tab not restored when restarting HeDaMixer
# focus arrange area when starting
# cache track icons
# several small bug fixes

HeDaMixer Graph VIP * v1.0pre3 (2020-03-10)
# fix: crash when checking for selected tracks that no longer exists
+ graph width button: Left click: to adjust width of graph area to arrange width. Right click: continuoulsy adjust. (Requires js_ReascriptAPI)
+ clear graph button
# use font 2 (smaller) for markers/regions
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #30
todoublez

So the graph feature is built-in the heda mixer now?!
This is great !
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
heda

Default v2.0pre25 (2020-03-13)

new updates:
* v2.0pre25 (2020-03-13)
+ Settings>Show>Show Mute/Solo/FX/IO buttons
+ Settings>Default meter type>dpmeter sync on
+ Settings>Color>Auto track name/id text color
+ Clickable fader gain numbers to set gain by entering the value
# maintain IL display even if there is no SL signal
+ save autogain switch per tab
# fix: RESET configuration to default not refreshing fonts and some colors.
# fix: some graphics, lines...