Old 11-21-2019, 02:18 AM   #41
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Learn the correct way to wind a cable (there's only one)
Nah. There's at least 2.

#1. Shown to me by a working musician with 20 or so years experience. Make a long loose coil of the cord with both ends together. Holding the ends and that side of the coil in one hand and the other side of the coil in the other, tie the coil in a knot like it was one piece of rope. Done. Throw it in your bag. When you need it again, untie the knot and you have a non-tangled cord, with both ends in one hand, ready to use.

#2. Make a coil like #1, but take one end and wrap it around and around and around and around the coil until it's completely wrapped in itself and tuck the end into the coil. Shown to me by a construction worker who was deeply offended by method #1. I'm guessing this is the "correct" way.

I prefer #1 whenever possible. It's super quick and easy once you get the hang of it and gives the same result as far as I can tell. I acknowledge that #1 doesn't work with very long cords. And of course there's velcro straps and whatnot. YMMV.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:22 AM   #42
XITE-1/4LIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I've got a shot at an audition for a guy here who is trying to reform his band. He had a somewhat successful local bar band a couple of years ago but I guess he had a few people leave, which is not uncommon around here, and he's looking for some new players.

Thing is, I've never played in a band before, and quite frankly, the idea kind of has me a bit freaked out right now. Not just from the standpoint of this being something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but also the old, "What if I suck" deal.

Any sage advice from those of you who have "Been there, done that" would be appreciated.
I would get an 8 Ball and pack their beaks, bring some Booze too.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:31 AM   #43
Eddy

I've not done a lot of live work but my live career goes like this - small gig, small gig, 30,000 people (doing taichi on stage with an act called Flume)

If you are not the focus just enjoy yourself - you have the skills. And if you dont have the skills then find that out and learn whether you want to get them and be a live performer or not (which is fine) But it really is not that big a deal getting embarrassed - no-one else will remember, and if you dont cringe into a ball and just be human people actually warm to someone making a mistake and acknowledging it. But not too often Thing is if you play with people way better than you and you cant keep up - I have done this and also had this done to me - just admit it and thank them for the opportunity. People are way more forgiving than you are probably imagining, and if they arent then their intolerance shows they have a pitiable character flaw.

Last edited by Eddy; 11-21-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #44
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Nah. There's at least 2.

#1. Shown to me by a working musician with 20 or so years experience. Make a long loose coil of the cord with both ends together. Holding the ends and that side of the coil in one hand and the other side of the coil in the other, tie the coil in a knot like it was one piece of rope. Done. Throw it in your bag. When you need it again, untie the knot and you have a non-tangled cord, with both ends in one hand, ready to use.
That is horrific!

There is but one way, though a few ways to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
I would get an 8 Ball and pack their beaks, bring some Booze too.
That plus a truck is +1,000,000 band points.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:21 AM   #45
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
That is horrific!

OK, that makes 3. And a fine one it is.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #46
bolgwrad

Quote:
Nah. There's at least 2.

#2. Make a coil like #1, but take one end and wrap it around and around and around and around the coil until it's completely wrapped in itself and tuck the end into the coil. Shown to me by a construction worker who was deeply offended by method #1. I'm guessing this is the "correct" way.

I prefer #1 whenever possible. It's super quick and easy once you get the hang of it and gives the same result as far as I can tell. I acknowledge that #1 doesn't work with very long cords. And of course there's velcro straps and whatnot. YMMV.
(Wrote before I watched the video)

Lol, I hoped that might get somebody going. Neither, though #1 is quick and easy - I was doing it 40 years ago. The correct way to wind a cable (UK MOD standard) is to twirl it in your finger and thumb as you form a coil in the other hand that naturally takes the shape of the cable as it came off the drum. Minimum strain, you see. The absolute quickest way to ruin cables is to wind them round your elbow and shoulder like a mountaineer coils rope.

Anyway, when you get your coil, wrap the loose end round it a couple of times and thread a loop through one of the resultant two gaps. Pass the loop back over the end of the coil and pull secure. Never unwinds or tangles, and unwinds in a jiffy. Unless, of course, you get somebody unfamiliar with that technique. (eye-roll emoji)

Last edited by bolgwrad; 11-21-2019 at 05:24 AM.
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #47
Tubeguy

I played in pro band for 25 years. When we auditioned new people, we mainly looked if they were on time, if they knew the music. If they didn't, they had to be able to at least improvise it on the spot. But our main goal was to weed out people that acted like guitar heroes. They never got the job.
So just be natural, don't tell other how to play or use their gear (maybe later you can), be on time. If you don't feel comfortable with people in the band, think if you really want to join as this might cause problems later.
Playing in a band is great with the right people but can be a real drag with the wrong ones.
And good luck!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #48
martifingers

I just came across this. They are both operating on a more professional level than I could ever aspire to but lots of fascinating stuff like use of charts (or not), the need for preparation, handy ways to remember arrangement changes and more...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugls5y0Oqbs
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #49
toleolu

New wrinkle.

Tried playing yesterday standing up, damn!!!!

Been sitting on my butt playing for years, wow, what a difference!!!

Guess I'll just walk around the house for awhile today playing unplugged, try to get use to it.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #50
karbomusic

Quote:
New wrinkle.

If you set your strap so it hangs similar to when sitting down, problem solved - learned that one from Billy Sheehan in person at a clinic in the late 80s.

There's looking cool and there's getting the job done- one is a bigger priority.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #51
XITE-1/4LIVE

Quote:
That is horrific!

These days I simply audition.
But yes, a PA and Mixer with a Rack of outboard gear since these digital mixers are crap.
Some festivities and an F250 Truck and you’re in.

My rig is so small now I can pack my Honda Sonata w/32 mpg and a nice trunk space with seats down.
Set up is 15 minutes, plug and play. Most of the time is Making my audio usb and MIDISnakes taped down.

Only reason for the 2U rack in the pic is cloning during editing and programming for my spare PCs.
Rack fits over the top of the sub, usually the entire stack is 15-20 feet back so I don’t blow my head off.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #52
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If you set your strap so it hangs similar to when sitting down, problem solved - learned that one from Billy Sheehan in person at a clinic in the late 80s.

There's looking cool and there's getting the job done- one is a bigger priority.
Holy crap!! That's way better. Thanks!!

The beer gut and bald head kinda kill the "looking cool" part from the get go, so no worries there.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #53
serr

Quote:
New wrinkle.

Been sitting on my butt playing for years, wow, what a difference!!!

Guess I'll just walk around the house for awhile today playing unplugged, try to get use to it.
Fripp plays on a stool. Do what's comfortable for you. Are guitar god poses required for this gig? If you were auditioning for a band like Gwar, you WOULD need to be able to perform with obnoxious costumes to where you probably wouldn't even be able to look at your fretboard while you played.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #54
TBProAudio

Hey,

excellent reading and advices. Not only for newbies, also for older semester:-)
Playing in a band/team is the Olympus (at least for me).

Just add some points:
- be on time (as stated several times)
- don't waste the time of the others
- be serious and solid, with your presence and playing
- don't do any fancy things at least at the beginning
- try to be part of the party and support it
- enjoy the time and show it!

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #55
karbomusic

Quote:
Holy crap!! That's way better. Thanks!!

The beer gut and bald head kinda kill the "looking cool" part from the get go, so no worries there.
I hear bald and bear gut is in!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #56
toleolu

Quote:
I hear bald and bear gut is in!
Yeah, but have you seen the kind of women those guys get???

Not a lot of hard bodied surfer chicks lining up for that action.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, but have you seen the kind of women those guys get???
Bald ladies with beer guts?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #58
toleolu

Quote:
These days I simply audition.
But yes, a PA and Mixer with a Rack of outboard gear since these digital mixers are crap.
Some festivities and an F250 Truck and you’re in.

My rig is so small now I can pack my Honda Sonata w/32 mpg and a nice trunk space with seats down.
Set up is 15 minutes, plug and play. Most of the time is Making my audio usb and MIDISnakes taped down.

Only reason for the 2U rack in the pic is cloning during editing and programming for my spare PCs.
Rack fits over the top of the sub, usually the entire stack is 15-20 feet back so I don’t blow my head off.

Nice setup!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #59
serr

Quote:
... since these digital mixers are crap.
Isn't that why we use Reaper for running live sound around here?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #60
Jeffsounds

Quote:

That never works for me. By the time I'm done I have a bunch of sketti in my hand. Untie it and I have a bunch of sketti on the floor.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
That never works for me. By the time I'm done I have a bunch of sketti in my hand. Untie it and I have a bunch of sketti on the floor.
I didn't watch the video but the trick is to spin/roll the cable between your fingers as you go, practice that and the cable does the right thing on its own. Sort of the way you'd pinch and roll a joint- I wrote a book report on weed in school, that's how I know that.

I was actually taught the proper way in like 1984 IIRC, I worked for an A/V company and it was the very first thing they taught me, with a mild warning that not doing so would shorten my tenure.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #62
serr

Heh. Once you roll up a cable properly 2 or 3 times you'll get the kinks out and it will coil up nicely.

I've seen that weird construction worker extension cord wind...
Not sure what's up with that or how it helps. You can take a back and forth coiled (sound guy style) cable and throw it out over a distance and it unwinds and lays down tangle free. (Unless the one end threads through the middle and you miss that and grab the wrong end... Then you make 30 little slip knots!)

I don't see how the construction worker method could do that. Keeps it tangle free in storage perhaps.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #63
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I've seen that weird construction worker extension cord wind...
A couple guys in my band do it that way, the agreement was they can do it that way but I now don't have to participate in wrapping cables after the gig and any cable that goes bad, they buy.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #64
serr

Quote:
A couple guys in my band do it that way, the agreement was they can do it that way but I now don't have to participate in wrapping cables after the gig and any cable that goes bad, they buy.
lol
Old 11-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #65
TC7

Say this simple phrase as you roll up the cables:

The road crew is OVER worked and UNDER paid.
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #66
Jeffsounds

Quote:
I didn't watch the video but the trick is to spin/roll the cable between your fingers as you go, practice that and the cable does the right thing on its own.
Oh, ok... I tried it... now I have a cable tangled up in my fingers.

Quote:
Sort of the way you'd pinch and roll a joint- I wrote a book report on weed in school, that's how I know that.
I don't remember anything about joints. Last time I got high I tried to kill a helicopter with a can of Raid. My girlfriend was chewing milk... and spitting out the seeds!

Quote:
I was actually taught the proper way in like 1984 IIRC, I worked for an A/V company and it was the very first thing they taught me, with a mild warning that not doing so would shorten my tenure.
Sounds like great incentive to get it right. I don't roll cables up around my hand and elbow like some people do. I just roll them up kind of like the video showed but I don't do all the twisting and shouting.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #67
toleolu

Thought all this cable stuff is what roadies were for.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #68
OldTascam

"Coiling" a cable. Now there's food for thought.
OldTascam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #69
Jimmy James

Quote:
Owning a truck is +1000 band points.

And remember: it's encouraging when people tell you to turn your guitar up. It's not encouraging when they tell you to turn it down.
YEP! I always make sure soundmen have to ask me to turn up. They love doing sound for me. I put my amp on a tilted stand facing right at my head.

I use a 16 watt tube combo with a 1x12. It never goes past 2 on the volume...
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 PM   #70
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
YEP! I always make sure soundmen have to ask me to turn up. They love doing sound for me. I put my amp on a tilted stand facing right at my head.

I'm taking my 15 watt BassBreaker. I've had it close to 2 years now and have only ever really cranked it up twice. Most of the time it's got the mute switch on.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #71
Philbo King

Quote:
That is horrific!

This is the best way I've found. Though I have seen guys who get a hose reel, and rool the mic cords onto it, plugging each into the one before. Not sure if it's a good idea... it'd be hard to find that short one you need.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:52 PM   #72
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
This is the best way I've found. Though I have seen guys who get a hose reel, and rool the mic cords onto it, plugging each into the one before. Not sure if it's a good idea... it'd be hard to find that short one you need.
I sort of did that with a 100' snake many years ago. I found a big, wooden cable roll that the utility companies use and it was perfect for the snake.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:42 AM   #73
fred garvin

Quote:
Thought all this cable stuff is what roadies were for.
You get a roadie? No wonder you want to join this band.

So now we're up to 4! 5 if you count Tascam's "coil? what coil?" post.

I acknowledge that the proper method is... proper. And that there are many people here who have much more and higher level experience than I, and I appreciate that. So thanks for sharing! I'll give it a go next time I have some cables need rolling.

I've just never seen a musician actually do that in the wild lol... on a dim crowded stage, with the next band setting up while you break down and their set starts in 5, or 1:45 with the bar staff dealing with last call and wanting you out the back door so they can start getting everyone else out the front door, and the only mark of professionalism being getting the f off the f'ing stage before someone has to tell you to get the f off the f'ing stage.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 AM   #74
toleolu

Well, that was interesting.

Had a pretty good time, things went well. The bass player didn't show and he auditioned two drummers in the process.

But he asked me to come back this weekend, he's auditioning singers, so I guess that's a good sign.

One thing's for sure, hauling gear sucks!!!
Old 11-22-2019, 02:21 AM   #75
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post

I've done gigs with a 5 watt Marshall! If it's being mic'd up and you've got monitor blocks it doesn't matter how loud the amp is. With that and my tiny headless Hohner guitar in a violin-style case, I can walk to gigs with all my stuff.

Often I'll email the other bands playing and ask if I can use one of their amps. I'm not precious about tone in the slightest. Crank up the midrange so I can be heard and I'm good to go.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 AM   #76
Judders

Quote:
Well, that was interesting.

Had a pretty good time, things went well. The bass player didn't show and he auditioned two drummers in the process.

But he asked me to come back this weekend, he's auditioning singers, so I guess that's a good sign.

One thing's for sure, hauling gear sucks!!!
Good sign indeed!

Showing up will get you far in music.

Hauling gear gets easier with time. It's good exercise without having to pay gym fees.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #77
toleolu

Quote:
It's good exercise without having to pay gym fees.
Especially since I'm on the second floor,(stairs) and I have to park on the second level of a parking structure a few hundred feet away. (stairs or a ramp) Fortunately I've got a good hand truck so that helps.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:36 AM   #78
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
(grin) Two hose reels. But you need to be using a BUNCH of mics to bother with this. I coil mine like in the video but have velcro straps attacehd to the "mic" end of each cable to keep them rolled up. Double benefit, as you then have a handy velcro strap to tidy the mic cable up on the mic stand.
FWIW I do the same with all my mains and speaker cables. Takes maybe an extra five minutes when you are packing away but well worth it.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 AM   #79
Judders

Quote:
I've just never seen a musician actually do that in the wild lol...
Good thing too! Or cable manufacturers would go out of business.

Musicians in the wild generally don't know much about their gear. The worst are drummers who have never tuned their drum kit.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #80
Dr Bob

After winding/coiling mic cables I always plug the male and female xlrs into each other. Prevents extra tangles with loose ends. The Velcro straps are good things too, use them all the time. Still "old school" though and have a 16 way xlr/xlr snake! My Reaper platform sits under my desk.

Sounds like you did good at the "auditions" … well done. Main thing is to enjoy it and learn.

I always made my bands check the mains plugs on their equipment before EVERY gig! Would not let them plug in until that was done. Once the lead guitarist and singer found an earth bridged to positive on his HH amp! Probably saved his life. After that no-one moaned at me EVER again!

After seeing big name band roadies tie knots in the mic cables I vowed never to be like that. A mic cable failing due to a break during a gig is a nightmare no-one needs or wants. I did find the progrock bands FOH people looked after their mics and cables better than some of the bigger more commercial bands! But, I did see some dreadful man handing of expensive kit!

dB

Last edited by Dr Bob; 11-22-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote