Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
Rocketrick
Human being with feelings

Default Mac or Windows OS

Got Reaper while in Alaska not long after it came out. Retired now and able to use it.

Just saw it is now ported to MACs. Here is my quandary/question sos I can get started:

1. Will use United Audio interfaces which were orig designed for Apple OS. It works with less problems then using with windows tho it is compatible with Windows.

2. I bght a high end Windows 11 ADK computer to use with the United Audio products. it has a Thunderbolt card which I need to install. You may know thunderbolt ports on the Macs are much faster then USB ports.

3. I Just now saw Reaper has now been ported to the Apple/MAC OS.

Question:

1. Does good 'ole Reaper work as well on the MAC OS w/o any missing functions and able to use plug-ins? IOW, does the MAC OSversion work as well as the Windows version?

2. UA says it's products will have less problems if one uses the MAC OS but, it will work with Windows.

So shld I buy a MAC Computer or use the Windows OS for good 'ole Reaper?????

I donated to Reaper early on and now do reg to Linux. I appreciate and support all open coded products I use.

Respectfully,

Rocketrick (Wm Harvey, PE)
Rocketrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
bjohn

I use Reaper on both Mac and Windows and have noticed no difference in performance or functionality between the two.

Note that if you buy a brand new Mac today you will be buying one with an M1 chip, aka Apple Silicon (Apple's own proprietary chip, not the Intel chips they've been using for years) and that could cause some compatibility headaches in the short term depending on what other hardware and software you are using.

I think you mean Universal Audio interface, right, not United Audio? As in the Apollo interfaces? If so, you're out of luck for a little while at least: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...atibility-Info

The good news is that these newer M1 Macs completely smoke the Intel ones; even a MacBook Air with 8 gigs of RAM is going to be more powerful than one of the recent higher-end Intel Macbook Pros with 16 or 32 gigs of RAM. The new M1 Mac Mini with 16 gigs of RAM would completely smoke my $6,000 Mac Pro with 32 gigs of RAM and two GPUs. So it's a great new world for Macs but the rest of the world hasn't quite caught up yet.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
Lynx_TWO

One possible option is to install Mac OS on your Windows machine. I did this a couple of years ago on an ASUS gaming laptop and it actual worked pretty well. Also confused the hell out of people :P

https://hackintosher.com/
https://hackintosher.com/blog/how-to...-a-hackintosh/
https://blog.airgigs.com/2020/07/how...st-time-build/
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
bjohn

If you want an Intel Mac, I highly recommend buying refurbished from the Apple Store (online). I've been doing this for the past 15 years and have not only had no problems but have had better results than when I bought new Apple products in the past. And I've saved thousands of dollars in total. I never buy anything new from Apple anymore unless I can't find the configuration I need in the refurbished items, and that has only happened to me once.

A refurbished intel Mac should last you 10 years or more.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
If you want an Intel Mac, I highly recommend buying refurbished from the Apple Store (online). I've been doing this for the past 15 years and have not only had no problems but have had better results than when I bought new Apple products in the past. And I've saved thousands of dollars in total. I never buy anything new from Apple anymore unless I can't find the configuration I need in the refurbished items, and that has only happened to me once.

A refurbished intel Mac should last you 10 years or more.
Great point!
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
Rocketrick

Default Tanks for Responses.

I knew u guys wld come thru. The comment abt United Audio is correct. AOMOF, I have the orig UA 6167 tube preamp and the limiting amplifier ie compressor. Very smooth unit.

Read the links per UA use with the new mac chip. Will ask UA about probs but for now will just stick with the Windows 10 and the thunderbolt card for using the UA Apollo products. I sure wish Reaper and UA wld port to Linux.

Is there a thread here or elsewhere sos folk using similar equipment for recording can talk and share and even collaborate on projects?

Thanks again for your kind attention.

Rick
Old 06-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
Rocketrick

Default So bottom line is?

Keep the ADK computer with i7 and 32.megs ram and Win11 and the thunderbolt cards or,

Buy a used Mac i7.

I have used Macof All Trades and they are totally reliable.

Rick

PS: Never trust ADK.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
serr

I've used Reaper since late 2008 or early 2009. There's always been a OSX version since then. The new Mac M1 version they just "ported" looks like a response to trouble or just big enough differences.

To a long time Mac user, the post-Jobs Macs aren't very Apple-like anymore and OSX is taking a turn for the worse. (Cough brick bug cough cough. Sniff.)
I still hear Windows users that make the switch to Mac talking about happiness and light. So... there's apparently still worse to be had.

I keep glancing towards Linux but the truth is everything still runs smoothly in OSX and all the software is still written for OSX.

I'm still using the last of the high end Jobs era Macs. The new machines (except that new Mac Pro aimed at the movie houses) would be a downgrade.

If you already have decent hardware put together that wants to be a high spec machine, maybe consider going Hackintosh. At least until Linux gets a little more established across all the 3rd party plugins and everything.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #9
Rocketrick

Default Decisions Decisions Ha!

Tanks Serr - Much appreciated.

My first was the self contained old Macintos b&w.

Then Windows DOSthen 3.1 then tansitons to set up the office sys to handle ACAD.

Ill look at the Frankintosh thru Linux as another one commented about.

I just want the best fastest way to get my tunes down before I bail , so to speak Ha!

Started a 4-piece band in Warner Robins Ga then to UGA with 10-piece R&B band Playing frats and Jr.Sr proms and at Posses Lake. Then to ATL in BG bands playing RB250 and Mando & Doc type picking and underground at JP Kenny's Bar.

IN Alaska at the 1996 Fold Festival as a single.

Point is tons of music to record and lots copyrighted in 1970's.

AS I understand it, just recording ur music and sending to the copyright offices obtains your rights. I need to do that post haste.

Thanks again for your advice and just realize i'm an old-timer so time is
very short.

XO to ALL Rick
Old 06-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #10
Rocketrick

Default AND a few pucker fators! Ha!

AFter graduating Ga Tech in 1974 I worked as an EIT in ATL then moved to Ak for 32-yrs.

Between living with the Yupics on ST Lawrence Island off Nome Ak, ice-Climbing, winter mountaineering, mushing with my pups, lots of commercial fishing in the Gulf and PWS and Bristol Bay and flying a Cessna 180B all over the state I can tell ya;

I've experienced some very high pucker factor situations and and always been lucky and a muse needing it's outlet.

Ya don't know fear till ya see it. That is a fact.

Anyways, I know this is a self serving diatribe but no apologies for it.

Anyone can check my PE registrations under William Harvey in Alaska and Georgia. Retired.

Peace brothers.

RR
Old 06-30-2021, 02:45 AM   #11
ivansc

RocketRick: A long shot. Did you by any chance ever get involved with the Lockheed Galaxy in Marietta back then? My Dad was in one of the design teams in the sixties, but apparently left a trail behind him when he returned to the UK. I still have a faded photo of the C5A inaugural flight back then...
Old 07-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #12
Rocketrick

Default C5A

Funny u mention that. My roommate was Dave Roberts but we were off campus in Marietta. Tech was not co-ed at that time so more fun ha!.

He was from Cape Cod and his ggg Granfather did a part of Paul Revier's ride. Some trivia.

Dave was an Aerospace Eng from Tech and worked on the design of the C5A. He was very smart and worked a lot.

Anyways, I was at the football game in Atlanta when it made it's maiden flight over the stadium. It was so huge it near bouts looked like it was barley moving. Just awesome really.

Thanks for mentioning that as it brings back some cherished memories I had not thought about for 50-yrs.

Best

Rick