Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
zamboknee
Human being with feelings

Default Any Audition compatibility?

My work uses Adobe Audition. I use Reaper at home (for work stuff). Is there any way to open Audition files in REaper and edit?
zamboknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboknee View Post
My work uses Adobe Audition. I use Reaper at home (for work stuff). Is there any way to open Audition files in REaper and edit?
Yep, via the excellent AATranslator: http://www.aatranslator.com.au/
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
zamboknee

does that translate FROM Reaper TO Audition?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
kerryg

Quote:
does that translate FROM Reaper TO Audition?
I can't say for certain, but a glance at the import and export types gives this for the relevant entries -

Adobe Audition - v3 - XML - Import & Export - Native session format. Only understood by Audition V3 & AATranslator

Reaper - RPP - Import & Export - Native session format. Most aspects of this format can be read & converted if the destination format has enough capabilities

It would certainly seem to indicate that AATranslator imports and exports both formats, which would seem to indicate it would convert in both directions. Drop user Runaway a line (AATranslator's developer) http://forum.cockos.com/member.php?u=14192 - he'd be able to let you know for sure.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
musicbynumbers

try out the demo he even normally will convert one for you to see if it's right for you, very handy software along with media sweeper.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Runaway

Thanks guys.

AATranslator will read all session files (.ses) from CEP1.2 through to AA3.01 as well as AA3 xml files and convert them to Reaper RPP files.

On the reverse it will read a Reaper RPP file and convert it to either an AA3 xml file or an AA1.5 ses file.

Note that no fx or midi data is included and (for reasons too long to go into) clip/item envelopes are used rather than track envelopes and there are conversions between the two where possible. The converted envelopes will make more sense if envelope points are placed at the start and end of each item/clip.

Anyway try the demo and see if it suits your needs.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
zamboknee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Thanks guys.

AATranslator will read all session files (.ses) from CEP1.2 through to AA3.01 as well as AA3 xml files and convert them to Reaper RPP files.

On the reverse it will read a Reaper RPP file and convert it to either an AA3 xml file or an AA1.5 ses file.

Note that no fx or midi data is included and (for reasons too long to go into) clip/item envelopes are used rather than track envelopes and there are conversions between the two where possible. The converted envelopes will make more sense if envelope points are placed at the start and end of each item/clip.

Anyway try the demo and see if it suits your needs.
I know it's been a while and thanks for your input so far but was wondering if there's anything new that does this but is MAC compatible? I'm hesitant to run a Windows emulator to run AATranslator.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
I know it's been a while and thanks for your input so far but was wondering if there's anything new that does this but is MAC compatible? I'm hesitant to run a Windows emulator to run AATranslator.
I run AATranslator directly in OSX with Wine installed. It will just work as they say.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:39 AM   #9
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I run AATranslator directly in OSX with Wine installed.
I found WineBottler very nice for such tasks.

I installed Yosemite in Parallels Desktop to experiment with it without messing around with my productive OS X until I know how to handle that stuff.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
I found WineBottler very nice for such tasks.

I installed Yosemite in Parallels Desktop to experiment with it without messing around with my productive OS X until I know how to handle that stuff.
I tried WineBottler quite a while back. They were trying to make it slicker (ie. no command line needed) but it was always out of date. I went back to the more official version.

There's a guide here that will hold your hand for install:
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/
You can easily make launch buttons for the dock too.

I strongly recommend making a backup clone of your system before installing to give you a magic reset button.

Then just remember that installing Wine means any Windows app can run natively in OSX. That means all the malware and crap on the internets that was only a problem for Windows users can now hit you!
Keeping a good backup clone and running Little Snitch network monitor are mandatory IMHO.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I tried WineBottler quite a while back.
Then it must have improved in the meantime ... I tested it a few weeks ago and had no problem running Windows Reaper in it ... ok, it was a quick test without ASIO.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote