Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
puddi
Human being with feelings

Default Do you have "Prompt to save on new project" enabled?

After losing yet another started project due to not saving it before a crash it got me thinking what would be the best way to prevent this in the future.

I guess it would be ideal to have "Prompt to save on new project" enabled, but at the same time I rarely know what I'm going to create so half of the projects would just be called "asdasdasd". Also that prompt would be annoying when opening Reaper just to do some quick throwaway edit.

Is there any good compromise to this other than just saving a new project as soon as possible? If there was an action to "rename project and project folder" I would probably have that prompt enabled and then just run that action when I knew what the project should be called.

Ableton can retrieve unsaved projects from the temp folder but I guess Reaper doesn't have anything like that?
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post
Is there any good compromise to this other than just saving a new project as soon as possible?
Personally I see this as a matter of proper project handling. Compromises are one reason why people lose things, especially considering that it can unfortunately happen sometimes also when you have seemingly taken the proper measures to save your stuff.

Quote:
If there was an action to "rename project and project folder" I would probably have that prompt enabled and then just run that action when I knew what the project should be called.
At any given time you can save/re-save any given project to any destination available and with any name you want. If you are waiting for the "correct" name to come to you first, you are also risking of having the next crash or mishap to happen before that...wasn't that exactly your problem?

I hear you about having difficulties to decide right away what any given project would become and thus naming them. But does the correct name even matter at this stage anyway? I have dozens of projects with names like Test 1, 2, 3, VST this or that, even Unnamed 1, 2, 3 etc. If the actual name doesn't matter at an early stage, it really doesn't and the reason you are doing it anyway is to save things which actually may matter later. For me the right thing to concentrate on this issue is not the name, but the fact that the project did get saved.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
uncleswede

Well, you could get your wish using a custom action, an extension and some toolbar/menu-item changes but, TBH, it would be better simply to get into the habit of saving a project as soon as you've made any additions/edits.

However, if you want the 'hassle', you could do this:

1. customise your "New Project" button on the main toolbar and change the action to a custom action such as:

File: New Project
File: Save project as

2. customise your "New Project" menu item on the main menu and change the action to the same custom action as above

3. (requires SWS extension) Change the Global startup action to the same custom action as above

4. Change the above action to have a shortcut of Ctrl-N

Obviously this is all dependent on you having specified an audio sub-folder in your default Project Settings.

Cheers
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
dug dog

Quote:
just saving a new project as soon as possible?

As soon as you start, preferably. As Xpander suggested, the name doesn't matter-you can change it later.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
After losing yet another started project due to not saving it before a crash it got me thinking what would be the best way to prevent this in the future.
The best way might be getting rid of crashes by finding out what causes them, then avoiding that.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Coachz

I start my projects from templates ranging from a blank template with just one track to elaborate templates. As soon as I open one, I Ctrl-S save it to a new project. I also have automatic backups every 15 mins and also do Ctrl-S as I go. No problems this way.

Even when testing something, I have a temp project already saved and I continue to save as I go. Get a good workflow and life is good.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Greg Savage

You can set it to save a back up each you save as well as an auto backup every (however many minutes you want)
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
You can set it to save a back up each you save as well as an auto backup every (however many minutes you want)
Yes, when you set backup settings proper it should be saved as untitled project in default Reaper Media folder.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
puddi

Yeah, guess I'll just have to learn to save earlier, even if it can be easy to forget while in the zone.

It would be perfect if Reaper just temporarily saved unsaved projects to the temp folder and deleted them after a clean close.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #10
Greg Savage

Quote:

It would be perfect if Reaper just temporarily saved unsaved projects to the temp folder and deleted them after a clean close.
That's what Auto Save does
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #11
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
That's what Auto Save does
It does? Even on unsaved projects? I thought it only littered my project folder with backup files, but I need to re-check. That would be perfect indeed.

Edit: Oh, it actually does. Now I need to turn that on and just clean up the folder regularly. Neat.

Last edited by puddi; 07-21-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #12
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
The best way might be getting rid of crashes by finding out what causes them, then avoiding that.
I like this one.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I like this one.

Agreed. Not to be over-looked.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
InTrance

Quote:
It does? Even on unsaved projects? I thought it only littered my project folder with backup files, but I need to re-check. That would be perfect indeed.

Edit: Oh, it actually does. Now I need to turn that on and just clean up the folder regularly. Neat.
I think it's good idea. The same idea has been realized in FL Studio
But I think I can solve the problem by themselves. If it works, i let you know
InTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:43 AM   #15
InTrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTrance View Post
I think it's good idea. The same idea has been realized in FL Studio
But I think I can solve the problem by themselves. If it works, i let you know
And finally, i found solution check this video
https://youtu.be/_GQcxGPu2eU
For this, download script and rename variables path(path) and temporary folder(mainFolder). Make sure you put it in quotes!
Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip AutoSaveForReaper.zip (851 Bytes, 56 views)
InTrance is offline   Reply With Quote