Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
.jon
Human being with feelings

Default Video import - please

Hi,

thanks for cool program, I find it a very viable option for serious audio recording and arranging. I was actually very skeptic about REAPER, but then decided to give it a go on a real project instead of my usual application. Very easy to use, reliable and snappy feel and lots of little things that made working a breeze.

I've been thinking about the registration fees in the past few days, and while I'm probably investing the 40usd for my own use, I'm also considering REAPER for professional work. And at the 200usd price point there is some competition.

I think the possibility to import video, compose synced music and export to OMF would make it more lucrative in the pro price. Not editing video, just making it a reasonably priced software to compose to moving picture.

What do you think?

sunny days,

.jon
.jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
olzzon

I think the video part has been discussed before.
And probably will end in reaper one day.
Especially since there are many ex. vegas users here.

The Omf part iīm not really sure about.
There are so many ProTools users that canīt use it. And AFAIK thereīs a licence to use it. (itīs digidesign)
Yesterday i had a guy called me, he had recieved an OMF file, that he couldnīt import in PT LE, the option cost around 500$ for protools. I didnīt have time to translate it, but told him that if one of his friends had nuendo, it could do it.
Consolidated files are much better to export. And for importing BWF files would be a better option, since i donīt think it has any license fees to it. Somehow OMF is not open at all, and digidesign is not really supporting it. So until an open standard comes out, i think Consolidated files are the best option.
It ALLWAYS work. And reaper has some very good features here.

Regarding sync, yes it could be nice, for some i guess, i donīt really need it anymore, since everything tends to run inside my DAW these days.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #3
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by .jon
I've been thinking about the registration fees in the past few days, and while I'm probably investing the 40usd for my own use, I'm also considering REAPER for professional work. And at the 200usd price point there is some competition.
Hi Jon,

I'd be interested to know what $200 applications you're comparing it to. For me, the $200 price point was a no-brainer, considering how much money I've spent on other hosts and other VST plug-ins. With many VST plug-ins costing more than $200, I'm surprised that people think an entire host at that price point is expensive.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:06 AM   #4
.jon

Well I had mostly Tracktion, Sound Forge 8 and Protools M-powered in my mind. Tracktion is cheaper, the others more than 200 but under 300, and do come with lots of stuff not present in REAPER. PT M-powered doesn't include the DV toolkit, but would still be very compatible with post prod systems.

Yes, I have also a plugin that's more expensive than REAPER Pro, but that's sort of irrelevant as there are plugins that cost even more than Cubase SX3 for example.

Anyway, after a bad experience with jumping on Tracktion caravan, I try to be more careful with software choices, and choosing a tool for several years is hardly a no-brainer. It's not only the cost, but the expense of becoming a power-user as well.

I have good contacts in the indie video scene, and I'm interested in providing sound design for short films. My main host, eXT will not do video in the near future, so I should choose my complementary software with that in mind.

thanks for the replies, I hope the discussion continues!

.jon
Old 08-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #5
.jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
The Omf part iīm not really sure about.
There are so many ProTools users that canīt use it.
I'm mainly interested in OMF because Final Cut Pro people prefer it.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:16 AM   #6
.jon

And Cubase SL3 is only 100 more, while even SE has video.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:38 AM   #7
olzzon

Quote:
And Cubase SL3 is only 100 more, while even SE has video.
Has it OMF?
Then it might be the program for you.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
.jon

I think SE exports OMF, but I've used Cubase for several years, and tbh I'd prefer REAPER for it's speed and flow.

I have MIDI side covered by energyXT already, so there would be too much overlap.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
olzzon

Quote:
I think SE exports OMF, but I've used Cubase for several years, and tbh I'd prefer REAPER for it's speed and flow.

I have MIDI side covered by energyXT already, so there would be too much overlap.
You could load the tracks to Cubase and export them there since you got it allready, and you say it can do the trick.
But somehow this program donīt have the focus on this area yet, So if it got integrated it would take some time before it was fully functional.
And by the way Final Cut Pro only imports OMF files via a plugin you have to buy seperate from another company (www.automaticduck.com/products/pifcp/ for only 500$). Final Cut Pro Exports OMF though. And since itīs and AVID format itīs not likely to be supported as itīs main import/export protocol.
iīm quite sure thereīs a reason why the price is so high on OMF support (license fee from digidesign). Are you sure Cubase has it, AFAIK itīs a nuendo feature. Not sure though.
Many support Bwav though, with is nice for films and such.

Sonar could also be a possibility,

BTW. Speed and flow often comes from a smaller program
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #10
.jon

Quote:
You could load the tracks to Cubase and export them there since you got it allready, and you say it can do the trick.
But somehow this program donīt have the focus on this area yet, So if it got integrated it would take some time before it was fully functional.
And by the way Final Cut Pro only imports OMF files via a plugin you have to buy seperate from another company (www.automaticduck.com/products/pifcp/ for only 500$). Final Cut Pro Exports OMF though. And since itīs and AVID format itīs not likely to be supported as itīs main import/export protocol.
Don't have Cubase anymore, we had a shared licence with my friends on our studio and we've gone different roads since (different cities). SX had omf export for sure, SE 99& surely as well.

A separate plugin? It must be pretty common then, but no wonder... all the places got dual Cinema displays and 5.1 Genelecs and whatnots, just for doing some stupid crap :-)

Mmmm yes, broadcast wav could possibly be just as fine. OMF is nothing spectacular and allows only a tiny amount of extra flex in the assembling compared to normal wavs anyway... like I said I don't need it for else than compatibility. Video macheads aren't exactly the people who can handle unexpected situations or file formats... pretty much the same situation with .eps :-)

Don't know how much code video support would add, but hardly would affect performance if not used.

.jon
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
I think the video part has been discussed before.
And probably will end in reaper one day.
Especially since there are many ex. vegas users here.
Bear in mind, audo being thrown away in lieu of major video paradigms, is a great deal why there are so many ex-vegas users here
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
kenn

rather than import video INTO the app, how about the following?

SawPro would handle video sync by selling an optional SAW plugin for AVI, which was an always-on-top window, and the AVI was "locked" to the audio timeline. (just like we did in the old days, with video machines and analog multitracks). It worked well, but kept the video out of the way of the audio.

BWF support would be cool as well. Besides providing more project exchange options, it, together with video support, would allow reaper to compete in the post-production space.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote