Old 07-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
strachupl
Human being with feelings

Default Is mixer fader laggy for you also?

I noticed when I adjust more than 7 tracks volume, faders are laggy so I installed FL trial to check if its common in other DAWs but no...

Lenovo laptop win 7 x64

Intel Core i7 4710mq 2,5ghz
16gb ram, geforce840m
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
foxAsteria

UI refresh is dependent on preferences that I can't find rn. Yea after a hundred tracks or so, it gets a bit slow for me.

But honestly you shouldn't drag faders for many tracks at once. If you need to do that a lot, make a VCA. Much simpler, no lag, and it preserves relative differences between tracks.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
strachupl

It happen with 7+ tracks for me and in Fl this is not happening with 40 tracks as in example gif so what is this preference you talk about.

I did more tests, almost every theme is laggin but I found theme that almost not lag called Event Horizon X

Last edited by strachupl; 07-12-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I don't get this behavior with stock themes including the V6 alpha theme. (I didn't test with other themes because I use the V6 alpha theme now.)

I'm currently using the latest dev prerelease version of Reaper, and there have been some changes to the UI handling. It might be worth trying that.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
strachupl

I have tried both x32 and x64 latest prerelease and still exacly same thing...

I tried everything, turning off win7 oreo, even mouse settings. Why it happen only to me in Reaper and not in FL?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
I have tried both x32 and x64 latest prerelease and still exacly same thing...

I tried everything, turning off win7 oreo, even mouse settings.
Oreo. lol.

I'm using the Linux version so maybe it's more of a Windows thing.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
hopi

if you just want to get it done, do yourself a favor and go here:

https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/

make a very small donation 5 bucks, and get the VIP versions of HeDa's stuff

Included will be the VIP Mixer... which will let you do things like you won't believe

Multiple mixers in tabs, change the size of panels, colors, on and on ...all without switching to
some other layout...
Old 07-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #8
strachupl

lol...
Old 07-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Why it happen only to me in Reaper and not in FL?
Hard to say without the system in front of us. Maybe its an issue on the windows side, who knows. I'd contact the dev about see if they know but I've never had this issue
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Personally, I commend Reaper for allocating the resources to what really matters. FL has always been more about bling bling than anything else, imo.

But it could have to do with the way WALTER is implemented. Maybe because Reaper is themeable, the UI has to check through the whole rtconfig each refresh or something. Idk, just a guess.

The preference I was referring to before has since been removed. From what I gather, it was pretty negligible in most cases.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
1111Eugene

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=54

soon it should be fixed ( I really hope it wiil, because it is impossible to be in a right mood with such lags forever)
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
strachupl

https://s3.gifyu.com/images/asfafs.gif

22 tracks and CPU jumping, faders lagging

FL studio - 100 tracks, nothing strange (I can make gif proof if needed)

Last edited by strachupl; 07-19-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
serr

1600 tracks. Reaper is still instantly responsive and all the track volume faders move together as one when scrolling the volume up/down with one of them with all tracks selected. On the laptop (2011 MBP 4x 2.5GHz (3.6GHz) i7 16GB).

Just duplicated to 6400 tracks. Still perfectly responsive.

Duplicated again to 12800 tracks. It took about 5 seconds for the new tracks to appear this time. Ever so slight choppy scroll if you look close. Still responsive and the faders still move together as one.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #14
puddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
1600 tracks. Reaper is still instantly responsive and all the track volume faders move together as one when scrolling the volume up/down with one of them with all tracks selected. On the laptop (2011 MBP 4x 2.5GHz (3.6GHz) i7 16GB).

Just duplicated to 6400 tracks. Still perfectly responsive.

Duplicated again to 12800 tracks. It took about 5 seconds for the new tracks to appear this time. Ever so slight choppy scroll if you look close. Still responsive and the faders still move together as one.

You should Licecap that.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #15
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddi View Post

You should Licecap that.
This. It would be very helpful if you show me how it works for you.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 AM   #16
JamesPeters

I'm using the latest dev version from July 17.

The CPU spikes quite high when I use >6000 tracks (RT CPU is high too), but with a bit higher of an audio buffer (which takes strain off the RT CPU) I can do this with 3000 tracks without it becoming sluggish. Beyond that even with a higher buffer size I notice the faders are a bit laggy in their response, but they all do move simultaneously. Considering I'm using an i3 6300 that's not bad (I'd never run a project with that many tracks especially with a CPU like this).

I also tried it in my laptop with a lowly i5 2520m (your CPU is considerably better than this one) Windows 7 64-bit. It worked just as smoothly with 1000 tracks. At around 2000 tracks it was behaving sluggishly at my default driver settings (low-ish latency but not super low).

Reaper uses CPU to draw everything, not GPU. So this will require more CPU than any program which uses GPU. My CPU does spike during this and it scales with how many tracks I have added, but on my desktop (i3 6300) it only hits around 12% when I'm doing this with 1600 tracks (and my usual audio device buffer setting). It makes my laptop (i5 2520m) hit around 35% when doing this with the same number of tracks.

If your CPU is being bogged down in any way, the UI can get sluggish. This can be due to any number of things including any background processes that you're running, your audio driver settings in Reaper, if your CPU is being used up by a lot of plugins, your screen resolution, and so on. I'd say try these things:

-Enable Windows Aero again but disable the individual things you don't want active. I've found that sometimes helps the video driver work properly (disabling Aero entirely isn't necessarily a good thing).

-Switch anything in the Windows Power profile you need to, to keep the processor/USB/etc. from throttling or going to sleep (select "high performance" plan and/or go through it changing things).

-Try a stock Reaper theme just in case. (You didn't mention doing that yet.)

-Try higher buffer size settings for your audio driver. Running a very low blocksize (and number of periods) can demand more CPU. If you're trying to get the lowest latency possible, especially if the audio driver (or hardware) isn't the best, you might be hitting a limit. Compare driver settings with what you have in FL and replicate those in Reaper, for a start.

And the usual things to think about when it comes to running a DAW: disable anti-virus, close anything running in the background that you don't absolutely need, etc. But I guess this isn't much of a factor if FL works well for you (it's still worth investigating).

And try Latencymon or something like that, to see if there's anything messing with your system latency.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #17
sei046

Default Mixer Lag

Hi guys,
Did anyone find a solution to this?
My mixer page in V6 and above refreshes about every second and is not responsive to the mouse outside of those refreshes either. Works perfect in v5. I presume it is something to do with retina and it happens on both my g5 2011 and my macbook pro 2015. Sucks not being able to use the higher dpi and switching back to v5
sei046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei046 View Post
I presume it is something to do with retina
If that's the case, check out the settings at the bottom of prefs/general/advanced ui.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:32 AM   #19
sei046

Inspired by the 4K thing, if I drag reaper off of my MacBook pro screen and on to the external display it works fine! Refresh rate is normal. However if ok the new display I make the mixer a certain size, around 80% of the screen or any more than that, it instantly starts lagging again. Scale it down a tad and it’s perfect again. Very strange
sei046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #20
thebandimaginations

Some plugins are pretty buggy specially free ones and especially those which have visuals. They make the daw gui lag. eg:faders/meters. One painful one is wave observer. Its an oscilloscope plugin and if you insert it on the masterbus or the fx monitoring section of reaper, the whole reaper gui starts lagging. Waisted one hour of my life troubleshooting the issue. Also some plugins might have an issue if they are dragged over to another monitor.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:53 AM   #21
Daodan

Laggy even with just one track actually. But if you disable tooltips for UI elements everything smooth.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=265725
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote