Old 06-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #1
papagirafe
Human being with feelings

Default GiraFx lib , to boldly go...?

Hi all!

Over the last year I have been studying systematically the inner workings of the video processor, intially to tweak a few presets, but then to overcome the irritants and limitations of the stock presets. Here are some:
  • video effects leaking when using overlays, including dirty fade in/out.
  • Text, position and style stored along with the preset code that are difficult to maintain if you have many items
  • inflexibility of video element positionning: auto grid or manual
  • rotating video elements that rotate the background along or small copies of the full screen
  • limited modularity of preset and limitation of 24 parameters per preset

So I did a lot of experimental coding and discovered a lot of untapped potential into that module, so much actually that it requires a whole new library of interoperating presets to make us of it. Tentativeley, I called it the GiraFx lib :-) and, even in its embryonal form, it implements the following concepts/functions
  • Parameter inheritance: preset can tap into other "parent" presets to receive parameters and data *including* free text. (Yes I found a new clever way to transmit text between presets)
  • simpler image transformation presets (including) that can chain like audio FX without corrupting the background if the image is used as overlay.
  • various types preset objects that you can connect to using unique ids independently of which track/item fx chain the preset is located.
  • beefed up image overlay preset that work like an audio mixer: just channel as many sources as you want into it.

The potential of this approach is enormous. For example, the text preset can be divided into 3 parts (or more): the text itself, the text style definition and the text renderer. Further more you could apply a text transform like "line scroller" in the chain and/or have relative positionning to a parent positionning preset and control position of many objects with a single envelope.

So I am looking for advice/feedback on the following questions:
  • Is there engough interest to publish the GiraFX library?
  • Should I start a collaborative project that you want to be part of?
  • Would it be of interest for the main branch of Reaper video or should we make it an extension like Stash?
  • On which platform do we administer/publish? BTW I have no experience with ReapAck
  • I would welcome donations, as this non trivial coding takes time and effort. What the best way to do that?

Text demo

Positioning demo

image transformation chain demo
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
McSound

Am I dreaming? This is HUGE! Of course it's of great interest! Thanks for all your hard work in video thread of Reaper, papagirafe!
McSound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Great stuff.

Maybe this feature request could make it more easy to use:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ideo+processor

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSound View Post
Am I dreaming? This is HUGE! Of course it's of great interest! Thanks for all your hard work in video thread of Reaper, papagirafe!
Good to know that I am not the only one realizing that! I'll see if it's possible to host it somewhere when the code becomes stable enough to publish.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
papagirafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
Great stuff.

Maybe this feature request could make it more easy to use:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ideo+processor
You're not the only one asking for that since it would greatly simplify the code for preset inter-communication and transparency handling.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
McSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagirafe View Post
Good to know that I am not the only one realizing that! I'll see if it's possible to host it somewhere when the code becomes stable enough to publish.
Nice! Will wait for it)
McSound is online now   Reply With Quote