Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Default Looping a video open will momentary show other video

and it's annoying! Technically this is not a bug but it bugs me so there!

Make a few tracks and put various video items on them and create a loop around one. Mute all the tracks for all the other videos. When the item is finished looping it will momentarily pay one of the other videos that are available at that time.

Basically reaper seems to select any video on any track and display it rather than display no video. An enhancement is to not jump to any other video at the end of a loop and show only a few frames(this may not happen every loop and may not happen with those specific parameters(such as loop location)).

if (looping && currentlyPlayingItem.Track != previousPlayingItem.Track && futurePlayingItem.FutureTime(100ms) == previousPlayingItem) then currentlyPlayingItem = previousPlayingItem

Or whatever(just junk code to illustrate how it could potentially be coded). The idea is either to avoid changing the currently playing item if it can be determined that the change would only last less than a few frames.

A simpler implementation is simply do not allow showing videos on muted tracks. This will still allow the glitch, I imagine, but will prevent the few frames that are displayed and very disorienting.

A better way is, when a loop was finished and right before it is restarted, to prevent changing the item for a few hundred ms. This basically is a low pass filter that should get most looping glitches.

What I've noticed is that if the editor cursor is at the *very* start of the item, the video is not played for it but the item that it "jumps" to momentarily. This suggests that maybe the code that determines which item to use needs a little more "fuzz". Basically prefer items non-muted tracks and to allow for tracks within a certain small time from the playback cursor. Basically time that is too short to really matter such as a few hundred milliseconds.

Of course, there are other ways...

Last edited by InfiniteDimensionality; 07-15-2018 at 06:33 PM.
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #2
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Default Changing playrate temporarily screws up reaper, sometimes it progressively gets worse

I use reaper for many things and one of them is looping with pitch/rate changes. When the rate is changed and pitch is preserved, reaper momentarily screws up, that is:

When the item is finished playing and the play rate then changes to some new value, one hears: A temporarily sped up version of the new sound that then goes a bit bonkers and then the correct version. This lasts about 1 second.

It is worse the more drastic the change.

Also, one notices reaper red lights:

and sometimes this just progressively gets worse and worse until reaper freezes(rare though, I've only had it happen a hand full of times). Sometimes it does not show the red linking bar(it may or may not depend on performance issues but I sometimes get even when the computer is doing nothing but playing an item).

One can't hear the audio but it does what I've described.

Now, I just remembered that I am using my own setPlayRate function that attempts to set the playrate value exactly which has to set it to 1 first to do so, since we can only get action commands that add or subtract a fixed amount.

This is most likely why it goes back to standard pitch then changes. I have to do this because there is no way to set the playrate exactly using the api.

e.g., I do this

while i < N do
reaper.Main_OnCommand(40524, 0)0.6%/10cents
end

Which increases the playrate by 0.6*N.

Again, I have to do this because there is no set play rate api function that lets one set the playrate. I've already brought this problem up but it hasn't been addressed.

The main issue is this: Reaper seems to crap out either when doing this playrate change hack or for other reasons. I have had it do it when I do not use this script and do the play rate changes but that might be from other causes.

In any case, reaper seems like it could do a better job of handling looping.

Maybe the playrate setting can be filtered a big so quick changes are "ignored"(unless it is the last one given a small period of time).

This is relatively easy to do and will smooth out glitchy behavior and probably should be done for all UI interactive elements such as sliders but even buttons work.

In the mechanical world, the same problem happens for push buttons, say, where a capacitor(a low pass filter) is used to smooth out the "bounce".

For code, it is something as simple as

OnsliderChanged()

if currentTime - valueTimeChangedLast < epsilon
valueTimeChangedLast = currentTime;
else
{
valueTimeChangedLast = -1;
setValue = value;
}

Which effectively removes all intermediate changes to the the value that happen within epsilon seconds.

This would work well for simple stuff like the play rate slider since there is never a reason when it should have to be changed after than within a few hundred milliseconds.

There are better ways and the above technique might require calling it in a thread(since it needs to be called one more time so it can actually set the value when necessary).

Of course, it would still be nice to have a function that can set the play rate absolutely.
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote