Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 AM   #1
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Default Missing in Action

https://soundcloud.com/saike/missing-in-action

This tune is meant for a mission where you go look for the person who used to be your co-pilot. In the game you can select the order in which do your missions. Depending on how early you do this mission in the game she's either going to be dead or alive.

In the last bit where the tune starts modulating up, your ship reports detecting her ship and you start speeding up to get their faster. You can guess which ending the mission got on this version

Credit where credit is due, the vocals near the end are placeholders by 11linda, montblanccandies(female) and jorickhoofd (male) taken from freesound, since I haven't decided on voice actors yet.

What I'm happy with are the modulations near the end to heighten the drama. They're cheesy, but so is the style of the game and story. What I'm not so happy with is the opening, because it harks a bit too much of cheese-trance. I think for me what was tricky in this one is how brittle the lead is. Although it doesn't sound like the lead would be a difficult one to have cut through the mix, it was difficult for me to not lose definition of the main lead.

I still feel like the lead doesn't sit in the mix *that* well, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I've tried a touch of verb, toning it down (but then it started sounding washed out), EQ'ing things around it and toning it down, but all of those only made a very marginal difference. Suggestions would be welcome
Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
Eliseat

Hi, after a brief listening i would suggest to give the lead a nice delay. Maybe 1/4 and 3/8 to avoid the gaps in between. And it also could add more depth.

I like the break beat. Sounds pretty round and groovy. But the bass synth is to decent. Needs more cowbell ... uhm .. i mean bass. Just my opinion.

Nice work.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #3
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Hi, after a brief listening i would suggest to give the lead a nice delay. Maybe 1/4 and 3/8 to avoid the gaps in between. And it also could add more depth.
There is some delay on it, but I could add some more. I think it's only at like 10% wet or so.

Quote:
I like the break beat. Sounds pretty round and groovy. But the bass synth is to decent. Needs more cowbell ... uhm .. i mean bass. Just my opinion.
Hahaha. I'll keep that in mind. The reason I went a bit easy on the bass was because there will be game SFX going over it, and I need the lower registers for some blasting sounds. Maybe it would make sense to do a special version for regular listening tho.

Quote:
Nice work.
Thank you
Old 05-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #4
Eliseat

If you add the low end game sounds within Reaper, like SFX, you should not let your music suffer from that. Just put a dynamic EQ or a sidechain compression between effects and music and it pushes the music away if needed. That also sound much more impressive. Its like a shaking camera only for the ears.

I often use this in my videos because there also a lot of explosions etc. which need to cut thru. There is practically no professional production without side chain compression or dynamic eq. If you use the music for a live streaming game or so, its of course not as easy to setup.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote