Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Clownmite
Human being with feelings

Default Using Pre-Written MIDI with Waves Morphoder

I've been experimenting with vocoders lately. I've had no problem setting up the carrier and modulator tracks on the free vocoders I've tried - Vocovee and TAL vocoder. In both cases, I take a pre-written MIDI file to use as a carrier/melody, which is sung by the modulator track (my voice).

However, with Waves Morphoder, I can't seem to get it to recognize the pre-recorded MIDI. I can get it to work just fine by using the keyboard at the bottom of the VST, but it won't seem to take the melody that I have created in MIDI and snap the modulator to that melody. I've looked at the manual and it claims it has support for it, but I just can't get it to work. Any ideas?

In case you need more detail, I have the carrier track set as a send to the modulator track (which is set up to include 4 channels). The 2 channels from the carrier track are set to channels 3 and 4 on the modulator track. As I said, the other vocoders work fine in this configuration, but not Morphoder.
Clownmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
DarkStar

Double-check that you are Sending the MIDI from the carrier track to the modulator track.

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
  • In XP, right-click the project file, select Send To ... compressed (Zipped) folder).
  • drag any other required media files into the ZIP file,
  • when you reply, scroll down a bit, open the "Additional Options" section if needed by clicking the double downwards arrows,
  • click on [Manage Attachments], browse to your ZIP file, select and Upload it.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Clownmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Double-check that you are Sending the MIDI from the carrier track to the modulator track.
As I said, I currently have TAL vocoder working fine on this exact track. If I uncheck the box for TAL, and check the box for Waves Morphoder, I don't get anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
I'm a little confused as to how this would help. If I compress just the project files, none of the plugins or MIDI files would be there, correct? How would people who don't have Waves Morphoder be able to help with the project without me uploading it (which is illegal)?

If it's the carrier sending to the modulator that is still the concern, here's a screenshot: [IMG]http://img6.**************/img6/830/vocoder1.jpg[/IMG]
Clownmite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
the all new rob

TAL Vocoder has an in-built synth. If your other vocoder plug is expecting audio (i.e. does not generate it from the midi) you would need another plug to get from your midi to audio, so it gets the audio carrier it's expecting.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
bradleyfilms

Quote from Waves manual
"Morphoder includes an eight-voice polyphonic synthesizer. It is designed to be controlled via the mouse and the GUI keyboard, or by a MIDI Keyboard controller. This functionality is not always available. It depends on the specific plug-in version and host."
Do you have another morphoder plugin?
EDIT If your version can accept midi data it will say midi in a green box to the left of the keyboard.
HTH Steve

Last edited by bradleyfilms; 08-08-2009 at 11:41 AM.
bradleyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmite View Post
If I compress just the project files, none of the plugins or MIDI files would be there, correct? How would people who don't have Waves Morphoder be able to help with the project without me uploading it (which is illegal)?
The project would have contained the tracks and the MIDI clips (but not any MIDI files) and no plugins. But it would allow us to get a better idea of what your project is doing..

So, rest assured, nothing illegal at all.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
DarkStar

There looks to be some MIDI CC (or PC) messages at the start of the MIDI clip. Are they zapping the Morphoder ?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
faze1

Clownmite, did you ever get morphoder working? I have only been able to use that plugin in cubase. The way morphoder works is that you have to insert it as an fx on the audio track and then open up a midi track and select it in the midi channel. I think the problem is that reaper sees it as an fx plugin only.
faze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
dunego

Can't get Morphoder to work here too. Seems like Reaper can't send midi to the plugin.
dunego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
influenced

Hey guys
Looks like an old thread till today but I've actually got it working...you gotta use the DXi version of the plug though.

Its straighforward but I'll write it anyway...instantiate the DXi on a new track via "Insert virtual instrument on new track", make sure the track is armed and that Record Monitoring is turned on. The MIDI button on the plug must be green.
Place your audio clip on the track, hit play and start tickling the ivories. You can route some midi notes from another track via the usual sends set-up too.
influenced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
bpbpbp

I can't see how to install Waves as a DXi - maybe I can't, because I'm on Mac - but I found this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arEg8hzoR-0

If you follow this, it works the same using Waves Morphoder.
bpbpbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
Sergey

Default Same problem in 2017

Hey guys! Same problem here, Morphoder can't recognize midi signal. The video above is not working. Any solution? Thx!
Sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 AM   #13
Ulf3000

so is my guess correct that you´re searching for the best vocoder and try them all out ?

because i already did that, and i must recommend izotope vocalsynth here , the talkbox sektion of it is AMAZING , the second best sounding one is
the freeware "mda talkbox"

for signature oldschool vocoder i also kept orange vocoder
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote