Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Guerrilla Music LLC
Human being with feelings

Default Selecting MIDI performances by full measures

Hello:

After recording a MIDI performance, I want to select (said performance) and copy/paste it X amount of times. How can I force the selection to include all of the last measure of the performance (even the blank space following the last note played)?
Thanks, and please advise if unclear.

-GMLLC
Guerrilla Music LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
hopi

not clear but guessing

you record say 10 full measures and also a couple notes into the 11th measure....?

ok so open properties on the item, uncheck Loop Source, apply and OK
then drag out the right edge of the item to fill 11 measures...
Now open properties again and check Loop Source...

Now your item should do what you want...

unless I don't really grasp what you want
Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
not clear but guessing

you record say 10 full measures and also a couple notes into the 11th measure....?

ok so open properties on the item, uncheck Loop Source, apply and OK
then drag out the right edge of the item to fill 11 measures...
Now open properties again and check Loop Source...

Now your item should do what you want...

unless I don't really grasp what you want
Thanks for giving it a go, sincerely. I have posted a picture showing the situation. The highlighted item in question (which is audio, not MIDI in this case) begins at measure 35 and is not quite a full measure long. What I want to do is copy the full measure that the item resides in, so that I can in turn paste it several times in succession, without having to directly place the cursor at the beginning of each measure prior to pasting. Essentially I am looking for a way to copy by measure, regardless of the size of the media.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
xpander

Hopis answer would be one way to do what you are after. So you would first extend the item by dragging to a full measure with the item loop source OFF. Then you could either loop the item for the wanted length by dragging the right edge (item loop source ON) or just copy and paste the item as is.

You can also select the item, make a time selection of wanted length (including the possible empty space) and then CTRL + SHIFT + C. By default this is for the action Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy). This will copy not just the item but any possible empty space within the time selection. Pasted copies will have the same empty space.

If you want to copy one measure in arrangement with everything that is inside it, you could create a region for the given measure, then copy that region by CTRL + left dragging the region handle.

Last edited by xpander; 06-16-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: correction
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
Guerrilla Music LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Hopis answer would be one way to do what you are after. So you would first extend the item by dragging to a full measure with the item loop source OFF. Then you could either loop the item for the wanted length by dragging the right edge (item loop source ON) or just copy and paste the item as is.

You can also select the item, make a time selection of wanted length (including the possible empty space) and then CTRL + SHIFT + C. By default this is for the action Edit: Copy items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart copy). This will copy not just the item but any possible empty space within the time selection. Pasted copies will have the same empty space.

If you want to copy one measure in arrangement with everything that is inside it, you could create a region for the given measure, then copy that region by CTRL + left dragging the region handle.
Thanks to you both for your input! Not knowing how to execute this simple little process has been a source of minor frustration for a while now. This REAPER user community is fantastic.
-Atlas
Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
hopi

you are thinking in a bit of a confused way [I think... LoL]

You seem to be thinking that you can copy and paste some abstract something... but it do not work that way..
What you copy and paste is a 'something'... in reaper it is what we call an 'item'... i.e. the orange thing you show is an 'item'...

Your only problem is that the item is not exactly the length you want it to be.

What we are trying to explain is how you first fix that item, no matter if it is audio or midi, so that it is the exact length you desire. After doing that copy and paste is easy and will do what you want.

There are a few ways to make the item the length you want...

Let's try another one:

make a time selection from the end of the orange item to the start of the next measure.. [you may need to turn snap off first]
open actions list and in the filter type 'empty item insert' without the quote marks...
You'll find the action, run it...
You will get a small empty item the size of your time selection
OK, now select the orange item AND the empty item and hit Glue...
You will get the orange item with the empty item added to the end of it so that now the orange item is the length you want it to be...

so then do whatever with it... copy paste or drag it out as a loop...
from what I see in your picture, you don't need to copy and paste... once the size if fixed you can just drag it out as a loop for as much as you want.

NOTE:

OK you could do a variation on this like so:
leave snap ON, make the time selection from the start of the orange item to the start of the next full measure...
Now use the Insert empty item action.
Select what you get and the orange item and hit Glue.

NOTE TWO:

Reaper has its own vocabulary... things are called names which might not be how they are named in other DAW's...
It really helps to learn the reaper names so we are all speaking the same language... ...makes asking questions and getting help mo'betta.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Guerrilla Music LLC

Agreed, the issue was that the item length was not fully one measure, and I wanted to copy the measure. Thanks for the input. I am constantly amazed at how customizable and deep REAPER is, and my challenge definitely is learning the specific vocab and keyboard combos that REAPER employs. I am working my way thru the manual, and the REAMIX book. By the time I reach the end of both, I'm sure I will be a REAPER master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
you are thinking in a bit of a confused way [I think... LoL]

You seem to be thinking that you can copy and paste some abstract something... but it do not work that way..
What you copy and paste is a 'something'... in reaper it is what we call an 'item'... i.e. the orange thing you show is an 'item'...

Your only problem is that the item is not exactly the length you want it to be.

What we are trying to explain is how you first fix that item, no matter if it is audio or midi, so that it is the exact length you desire. After doing that copy and paste is easy and will do what you want.

There are a few ways to make the item the length you want...

Let's try another one:

make a time selection from the end of the orange item to the start of the next measure.. [you may need to turn snap off first]
open actions list and in the filter type 'empty item insert' without the quote marks...
You'll find the action, run it...
You will get a small empty item the size of your time selection
OK, now select the orange item AND the empty item and hit Glue...
You will get the orange item with the empty item added to the end of it so that now the orange item is the length you want it to be...

so then do whatever with it... copy paste or drag it out as a loop...
from what I see in your picture, you don't need to copy and paste... once the size if fixed you can just drag it out as a loop for as much as you want.

NOTE:

OK you could do a variation on this like so:
leave snap ON, make the time selection from the start of the orange item to the start of the next full measure...
Now use the Insert empty item action.
Select what you get and the orange item and hit Glue.

NOTE TWO:

Reaper has its own vocabulary... things are called names which might not be how they are named in other DAW's...
It really helps to learn the reaper names so we are all speaking the same language... ...makes asking questions and getting help mo'betta.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
hopi

good for you... yeah, ..."reaper IS deeper"...

the manual is good
however I'd HIGHLY suggest you go to the reaper.fm home page and then to the Videos area... and just start there... pack a lunch and some coffee

much easier to learn by watching I think
Old 06-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post

Oh wow didn't know that. Is there a smart duplicate function as well?
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Savage View Post
Oh wow didn't know that. Is there a smart duplicate function as well?
Kinda, but it's just not called smart duplicate. By default CTRL + SHIFT + D is for the action Item: Duplicate selected area of items. If you e.g. make a time selection which extends past the selected item end and run this action, both the item and the empty space within the time selection will be duplicated.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote