Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #41
Marcin Szwajcer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harke View Post
Hi all,
I've done the basic setup from this thread and it worked pretty well, exept for 6 faders not moving as they should (device is in mint condition). So I started tweaking, did the firmware upgrade and tried different modes. Now the thing is acting quite bizarre indeed.
Cheers
I remember that some people had those problems when US-2400 was connected via some USB HUB or with too long USB cable. But tha shoud do some random problems, not allways the same 6 faders.
Marcin Szwajcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #42
diver79

Just curious, did anyone get the Tascam US-2400 to work on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.5)?
I recently bought one, but it isn't even recognised on my Mac as a Midi device... All hints, tips and pointers are welcome!
diver79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #43
LeSedna

I would like to know as well as I am on Yosemite and I am interested in this control surface !
LeSedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #44
BrianJ

To anyone using the US-2400 to control reaper...what is the fader resolution? In other words, how small of increments can you move the fader on screen? .1 db? .3 db?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #45
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
To anyone using the US-2400 to control reaper...what is the fader resolution? In other words, how small of increments can you move the fader on screen? .1 db? .3 db?
Ah, just came out of the studio and read this, but I've shut down for the night. Will take a look-see tomorrow
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 AM   #46
Teddy

Quote:
Well, I can't remember the db increments, but I remember the steps in midi.

At least in custom mode, the faders output MSB in 128 steps and LSB in 8 steps. so 128 * 8 is 1024 steps in total.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #47
BrianJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
Ah, just came out of the studio and read this, but I've shut down for the night. Will take a look-see tomorrow
That would be appreciated!

Also, I really like the look of this console...but I'm kind of at a toss up between this and the Mackie MCU Pro with the extenders and the C4 for plugin control. I'm a bit confused about the benefits/downfalls of each though...it seems like the US-2400 doesn't have much in the way of plugin control correct?

And the mackie is more expensive but does seem to offer some more functionality?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-05-2015, 02:54 AM   #48
technogremlin

Just checked the resolution: I can consistently get to 0.1 dB, but sometimes (touching the fader VERY slightly) I can get a 0.05 dB change. Of course, doing this was to see how small of a change I could make (looking at the read-out of the value), it's not an actual mixing scenario as you won't hear a 0.05 dB change in a mix anyway

Quote:
...it seems like the US-2400 doesn't have much in the way of plugin control correct?
It actually does in a great way, it's called channel-strip mode which switches the 24 rotaries onto a separate MIDI channel and let you control whatever you like with them. I have set it up exactly as a channel strip (it has markers for 4 parametric EQ bands) controlling a ReaEQ instance that I've setup as default (with mapping to the US-2400) on each channel. I also got TAL-tube on each channel for saturation duties (offlined by default) with its drive and level controls mapped to the US-2400 strip mode.

But you can have them control any plugin that has focus (if you set it up that way. I can have two (or more) ReaEQs on a channel that are controlled each when they have focus.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 AM   #49
Harke

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcin Szwajcer View Post
I remember that some people had those problems when US-2400 was connected via some USB HUB or with too long USB cable. But tha shoud do some random problems, not allways the same 6 faders.
Thanks for this, now I'm hopeful that one day I can even get these nasty 6 to work!

My setup is working now (apart from the not moving 6 faders) in DP mode. Just for documentation I will submit all the specs of the system tomorrow so hopefully people can benefit.
To echo the general sentiment: once the thing is working it's a great machine. Huge addition to the feel and workflow!!
Harke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #50
BrianJ

Quote:
Just checked the resolution: I can consistently get to 0.1 dB, but sometimes (touching the fader VERY slightly) I can get a 0.05 dB change. Of course, doing this was to see how small of a change I could make (looking at the read-out of the value), it's not an actual mixing scenario as you won't hear a 0.05 dB change in a mix anyway

It actually does in a great way, it's called channel-strip mode which switches the 24 rotaries onto a separate MIDI channel and let you control whatever you like with them. I have set it up exactly as a channel strip (it has markers for 4 parametric EQ bands) controlling a ReaEQ instance that I've setup as default (with mapping to the US-2400) on each channel. I also got TAL-tube on each channel for saturation duties (offlined by default) with its drive and level controls mapped to the US-2400 strip mode.

But you can have them control any plugin that has focus (if you set it up that way. I can have two (or more) ReaEQs on a channel that are controlled each when they have focus.
Thanks for that. I'm seriously considering one of these for a control surface, but I've been burned before with "trying" something that always seemed to have limited functionality...so a few more questions...

1. How much resolution is on the pan knobs, both when in pan mode and when using them to control plugins?

2. What do the buttons above the jog wheel do?

3. Does the jog wheel have different modes? In other words, can you scroll through a whole song quickly and also a small area precisely?

4. Will the US2400 work on a Windows 7 64bit machine?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #51
technogremlin

Quote:
1. How much resolution is on the pan knobs, both when in pan mode and when using them to control plugins?
Again, no idea what the actual resolution is, but I work with it almost daily and the rotaries work flawless and with great control for both panning and plugin control.

Quote:
2. What do the buttons above the jog wheel do?
The buttons have several functions, among them are the 6 mapable function buttons and the buttons to switch the rotaries between pan and mixer-strip mode and the readouts to VU-meter bridge mode.

Quote:
3. Does the jog wheel have different modes? In other words, can you scroll through a whole song quickly and also a small area precisely?
What the jog-wheel does is pretty much linked to how Reaper implements the jog-mode. There is only one mode but it let you both scroll very fast through a song AND give great control in exact positioning of the play cursor. However, I do moving through a song with regions and the forward/backward buttons on the transport section.

Quote:
4. Will the US2400 work on a Windows 7 64bit machine?
Can't tell you that, as I'm still on WinXP. But I remember seeing it mentioned it works with Win7 as well. It is driverless, so any basic USB-2 interface should be able to connect it. I've read it works under Linux as well
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #52
BrianJ

Quote:
Again, no idea what the actual resolution is, but I work with it almost daily and the rotaries work flawless and with great control for both panning and plugin control.

The buttons have several functions, among them are the 6 mapable function buttons and the buttons to switch the rotaries between pan and mixer-strip mode and the readouts to VU-meter bridge mode.

What the jog-wheel does is pretty much linked to how Reaper implements the jog-mode. There is only one mode but it let you both scroll very fast through a song AND give great control in exact positioning of the play cursor. However, I do moving through a song with regions and the forward/backward buttons on the transport section.

Can't tell you that, as I'm still on WinXP. But I remember seeing it mentioned it works with Win7 as well. It is driverless, so any basic USB-2 interface should be able to connect it. I've read it works under Linux as well
Very nice...! So, of all the functions/buttons on the unit the only thing you found NOT working is the joystick?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #53
technogremlin

Quote:
Very nice...! So, of all the functions/buttons on the unit the only thing you found NOT working is the joystick?
The joystick works as well, only I didn't use it so I didn't do the setup. But others have done that; it has its own MIDI-channel and just activating that in Reaper will get it functional. I haven't thought of anything to do with it yet, and I have also have a X_Y pad on my Korg PadKontrol
Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #54
Harke

Default For reference

Anyone interested, here's my setup. Just so you know this works too, since I've had quite some trouble setting up.

Mac pro 3.1, dual quad core 2.8 ghz
Mac os X 10.6.8
RME fireface 800 (Kernel driver v3.14)
US2400 firmware 1.20 in DP mode (aux#3)
Reaper64 (v4.402)

I still don't know what exactly caused the messup on my system. Maybe a conflict between RME totalmix (which allows for control messages aswell) and Reaper, but that's just a guess.

Cheers,
Harke
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #55
Harke

Default Playing around

And having great fun

Now it's working, the US2400 is starting to show its capabilities. I've just set up a track template similar to Technogremlins. In chan mode this provides direct access to 6 sends, a (Toneboosters) compresseor and a 4 band reaEQ. Just like a real console!
So kudos to all giving such useful advice in this thread.

Cheers,
Harke
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #56
technogremlin

Quote:
Now it's working, the US2400 is starting to show its capabilities. I've just set up a track template similar to Technogremlins. In chan mode this provides direct access to 6 sends, a (Toneboosters) compresseor and a 4 band reaEQ. Just like a real console!
Told you so

Tomorrow I'm going to do mixdown on a rock track with 34 channels. The channel strip mode indeed makes it feel like you have a real console, absolute fun and joy working this way
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #57
Marcin Szwajcer

Quote:
Told you so

Tomorrow I'm going to do mixdown on a rock track with 34 channels. The channel strip mode indeed makes it feel like you have a real console, absolute fun and joy working this way
Here's something that might interest you and all of you guys. I've crated scripts with gives you POP GROUPS like in MIDAS Live Consoles. Look at that movie, you'll see what's this about ;-) By pressing M-Key + 1 faders are showing only channels in GROUP 01, by pressing M-Key + 2 channels in GROUP 02, ect. By pressing M-Key + Null ther are all faders in mixer. I'm using it for DRUMS, BASS, GUITARS, SOLOS, VOCALS, EFFECTS. This way I can navigate much faster, especially in bigger projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTLB...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #58
technogremlin

Quote:
Here's something that might interest you and all of you guys. I've crated scripts with gives you POP GROUPS like in MIDAS Live Consoles. Look at that movie, you'll see what's this about ;-) By pressing M-Key + 1 faders are showing only channels in GROUP 01, by pressing M-Key + 2 channels in GROUP 02, ect. By pressing M-Key + Null ther are all faders in mixer. I'm using it for DRUMS, BASS, GUITARS, SOLOS, VOCALS, EFFECTS. This way I can navigate much faster, especially in bigger projects.

That looks pretty useful, it also seems you have a lot of stuff setup with all the buttons (with that overlay), care to tell what you have there
Old 03-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #59
Marcin Szwajcer

Quote:
That looks pretty useful, it also seems you have a lot of stuff setup with all the buttons (with that overlay), care to tell what you have there
It's just overlay from csurf driver made by David Lichtenberger, very cool!

https://github.com/DavidLichtenberge...r-csurf-us2400

Basically you can use US-2400 without mouse and keyboard (except labeling tracks). I like to use all three of them, but those kind of function like Audomation mode, aux sends, plugin parameters fader flip ect. just gives you many possibities to do things faster and simpler ;-)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #60
Ryder

Hi Marcin!

Those pop groups look handy! Does the script also enable the controller to display only the tracks on screen?

Where can I get this script?

Thanks
Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #61
Marcin Szwajcer

Sorry, I didn't notice your post :-) If you could find me by facebook, or at least write PM I'll send you my scripts
Old 04-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #62
Roncore!

I've had my US2400 and used it in the most basic modes with Reaper for a few years. I'd love for somebody to make a video of how theirs function. I think it would help a lot of people out. I'm still trying to figure out how to arm a track to record haha.

If anybody could run through a video of them using their US2400 in Reaper, and showing their functions or a small tutorial I'd gladly shoot a few bucks to them via paypal.
Roncore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #63
Roncore!

Quote:

Very nice! Also, the music you are mixing is amazing, who is it?, love it. Drums sound great, samples? Which ones if so?

Last edited by Roncore!; 04-29-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Roncore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #64
Marcin Szwajcer

If you use this plugin for US-2400 you can do basically everything in Reaper with it:

https://github.com/DavidLichtenberge...r-csurf-us2400

Installation can be tricky at first time so if you experience some problems please write to me ;-)

As for workflow with my US-2400 I think it's individual. For me it's for 24VCA's in the mix witch I'm using to write final automation to the song. This is mostly because there is no LCD scribble on US-2400 so it's really hard to use it with channels and plugins. I'm thinking about putting some ultra-wide LCD screen on top of it, but I'm affraid it will be uncomfortable for my sitting position many hours a day.

As for the song, band is called Mastemey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47sUrBBT744

this was a home-recorded side-job for my friend. Glad you like it I've used every skill and tool I have to take it out from their garage :-) So Slate Drums with my own samples, guitars thru DI and LexTac simulation if I remember it right.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #65
wessidetempest

Default Daft

Hello

It has been a long time since I have used this controller and I think when I did I was on a older OS.

Anyway - trying to get this running again. I am using a similar setup as below but for the life of me I cannot get this thing running like it used to and I know I am missing something simple.

Mac Book Pro 2.26 Intel Core 2 Duo
OSX 10..6.8
Tascam FW-1804
Tascam US-2400
Reaper 5.52

Thanks so much for this thread and everyones input

Quote:
Anyone interested, here's my setup. Just so you know this works too, since I've had quite some trouble setting up.

Mac pro 3.1, dual quad core 2.8 ghz
Mac os X 10.6.8
RME fireface 800 (Kernel driver v3.14)
US2400 firmware 1.20 in DP mode (aux#3)
Reaper64 (v4.402)

I still don't know what exactly caused the messup on my system. Maybe a conflict between RME totalmix (which allows for control messages aswell) and Reaper, but that's just a guess.

Cheers,
Harke
wessidetempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #66
JoeyM123

Back after some time off, but here I am with Windows 7 x64 and Fireface 800 and it doesn't seem to be recognized.
So it' time to troubleshoot and I forgot whatever I did to make it work before. Maybe the RME driver discarding MME could be a culprit, but I forgot which mode on the control surface I need to enable to best suit Reaper. Funny thing is, in all these years I keep updating the Reaper Portable, so the control surface should be recognized, but I'm not even sure my computer recognizes it.

Kind of confused and hoping to hear from someone

Oh God I think something went haywire sitting there for a few years - no MIDI light. Seems like the rest of it works or at least lights go on, but the faders don't all snap back to zero.

I hope this is salvageable because I can't think of anything that should have whacked it.
Does anyone have this working with recent RME Fireface 800 drivers? I wonder if trying to find the drivers before MME was removed might help. All I have are super old drivers from 2005 and they're not digitally signed. 5:30 in the morning here and I'm not feeling good :-(

Last edited by JoeyM123; 01-26-2019 at 03:27 AM.
JoeyM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #67
Mr Clean

I just received a US2400 in the post today after lusting after them for many years. I found it on eBay at a price I couldn't refuse. 5 minutes of fiddling around with the settings in Reaper and it's up and running. (With a little guidance from this thread)

Now it's time to set up some templates and have some fun!

Mr Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #68
minothi

Default Setting it up with Reaper and what to expect

Hi!

In Reapers prefs under Control/OSC/web I can chose US 2400 midi port 1 to 6. In the manual it says 4. 4 is apparently for joystick and I set this up under Audio/Midi devices in prefs. 5 looks like its the channel strip scrollers and 6 I dont know, b ut I set both up under Audio/midi devices as well.

Channel strip works well when "learn"ed, but as I use several EQs per channel, and the US2400 controls every instance of them simultaneously its unfortunately useless. Has anyone found a sollution to this?

With US2400 midi port 4, 5 and 6 set up under Audio/midi devices I get random actions when pressing certain buttons. In Out Play Stop Bank and more. All the faders moves bit by bit and end up in a straight line middle position. Weird. So I turned those off and now cannot use the channel strip at all.

Joystick works though. But up and down is inverted. Havent found a sollution to this yet. I can manually convert it in Max msp and perhaps pass midi through there, but I would prefer if Reaper worked as is.

When opening a session not all faders line up to where the faders in Reaper is. I have to open and just confirm every instance of US2400 under Control/OSC/Web. Very weird, and having to do this often when working in parallell with different songs defeats the purpose of having an "efficiency device" like the US2400 :-)

The AUX buttons I havent yet understood anything of. Sometime all they do is move the whole set of faders on two or three tracks off so that my first tracks are out of reach. Then I have to reconfirm all instances like mentioned above. And then it works again.

On the master, the CLR SOLO button only puts track 1 in solo. It doesnt clear any other soloed tracks.. The SEL button doesnt do anything on the master track although several tracks are selected.

What does the "shift" button do?

What doas the "F key" do?

Is there hope?
I am using a Mocbook Pro 15" from 2018. USB cable through a dongle. OS X Big Sur.

I recently sold my Icon Qcon Pro as it was giving me random results and plenty of small buggy stuff. A friend told me I should buy US2400, but Im not wuite sure now :-)

Perhaps Im just better off with a mouse really. What are your thoughts on all this?
minothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #69
sintacks

my first post!

I've had a US2400 for years. There was a final firmware update from tascam which introduced 'native mode' - recalled by holding the function buttons while powering up - consult this:
https://tascam.com/content/downloads...N_Eng_view.pdf

Native mode is preferable to Mackie emulation usually.

US2400 in native mode works flawlessly in Logic X (I realize not helpful).
US2400 in native mode does not work with CSI (Control Surface Integration).

Ruxton has recently published an update to US2400 Control Surface Extension; I have yet to try it on mac.

https://github.com/Ruxton/reaper-csurf-us2400/releases

trying to resurrect interest in this controller with Reaper! Even years after Tascam abandoned it, still one of a kind.

What controllers these days offer a similar experience? 24 faders, transport, shortcuts. Softube? AVID (shudder)?
sintacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:43 AM   #70
Hanswurst

This thing is still a beast! I just dug mine out again (actually wanted to sell it, but it’s pretty impossible to find a buyer these days), and I’m currently trying to set it up for controlling VSTs via ReaLearn which also features an interactive view to see the current parameter mapping. Also, I still love the joystick, wish there were separate controller devices available for that, as I much prefer them to XY pads for some reason.
Hanswurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:49 PM   #71
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintacks View Post
my first post!

I've had a US2400 for years. There was a final firmware update from tascam which introduced 'native mode' - recalled by holding the function buttons while powering up - consult this:
https://tascam.com/content/downloads...N_Eng_view.pdf

Native mode is preferable to Mackie emulation usually.

US2400 in native mode works flawlessly in Logic X (I realize not helpful).
US2400 in native mode does not work with CSI (Control Surface Integration).

Ruxton has recently published an update to US2400 Control Surface Extension; I have yet to try it on mac.

https://github.com/Ruxton/reaper-csurf-us2400/releases

trying to resurrect interest in this controller with Reaper! Even years after Tascam abandoned it, still one of a kind.

What controllers these days offer a similar experience? 24 faders, transport, shortcuts. Softube? AVID (shudder)?
I support you and use the Tascam US-2400 perfectly with an unofficial update from @Gertius1
https://github.com/gertius1/reaper-c...b7edec5ba225ed
But it runs with macOS minor artifacts from previous release1.30 from @Ruxton
see 1 comment on commit ab2811d
https://github.com/gertius1/reaper-c...b7edec5ba225ed
. But nevertheless - it works and allows you to enjoy using the Tascam US-2400 in 2023 (macOS 10.13.6; reaper 6.75 OSX64)

Last edited by Vladistone; 03-03-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:56 PM   #72
Vladistone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurst View Post
This thing is still a beast! I just dug mine out again (actually wanted to sell it, but it’s pretty impossible to find a buyer these days), and I’m currently trying to set it up for controlling VSTs via ReaLearn which also features an interactive view to see the current parameter mapping. Also, I still love the joystick, wish there were separate controller devices available for that, as I much prefer them to XY pads for some reason.
@Hanswurst, hi!
Are You able to demostrate you setting of workflow for Tascam US-2400 with Realearn FX integration?

Regards, Vladistone
Vladistone is offline   Reply With Quote