Old 02-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Ferrrb
Human being with feelings

Default Who's using Reaper in linux?

Soon i will buy Reaper and i want to use ubuntu studio.
Anybody there use Reaper in linux? With WINE? How does it work? Any limitation?
And anybody knows if reaper will be avalible for Linux? I've seen some threads of reaper users that are developing a linux version.
Thank you.
Ferrrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
pitpat

Hey Ferrrb

This was a recent thread on the same topic. You might find some useful material there

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ighlight=linux
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
royleith

Default Reaper in Linux - Wine

I'm looking forward to a native Linux version of Reaper. Since I rarely boot up a Windows machine, I took an interest in using Reaper in Linux Wine.

I was astonished when it worked in stock Kubuntu 12.10 and installed it in Ubuntu Studio 12.10 to see how usable it could be. The key is to use ASIO for Wine and I found this link,

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=wineasio

I found the latest version of LinReaper some months ago. Don't make the mistake of installing Reaper directly into Wine. LinReaper sets up a special Wine environment and installs ASIO for Wine. There is no way I could do this for myself. If you want to install other programs alongside Reaper, you might try it by running Reaper to set up Wine for the purposes of the installation. Otherwise, Reaper is not available at the same time as other programs installed in Wine. You will have to use the Reaper launcher as a template for launchers for other programs in the environment.

I have been involved in helping someone else master Cubase in Windows and have not got too adventurous with Reaper, so far, but I am now getting stuck in.

LinReaper works well with jack. I have recorded using a Focusright Saffire Firewire 8x8 interface and also with an E-MU Xboard49 keyboard controller. I use both an Edirol SD-20 MIDI module and have produced reabanks for this. There are existing banks for the Roland JV1080 that I also use. I have also produced reabanks for the Roland MC-80 for my pal, but he has not migrated from Cubase... yet.

When I have given the reabanks more use, I will upload them to the resources site.

I am using my little browsing computer (an Acer Revo with an Atom processor) as a learning tool and this means no Firewire and the need for an external USB audio Line In interface. Jack reports the latency as 11.6 ms using the internal sound chip (not for direct comparison for any figures given by Windows ASIO, but it is very good for a toy computer).

I have done quite a lot of MIDI editing and Reaper is very responsive. The only downside is that Reaper takes quite a long time to load because of the need to also load Wine. Even with an Atom processor, it is faster to cold boot into a working Reaper session than on Windows 7 on a quad-core AMD system.

My Acer shows its low power with video streaming and image manipulation. If I manage to load Reaper sufficiently to make its performance dip, I will let you know. I can see no reason why you wouldn't want to use Reaper in Linux with LinReaper.
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
SmoothBro

Default Reaper in Ubuntu

Is there a performance difference when installing Reaper directly into Wine rather than using LinReaper? When I used Ubuntu Studio, I got xruns and some error saying "Reaper cannot run in state" (something like that, not at my music computer now), but continued to work. I also tried Reaper in AVLinux 6 and had very good performance, but do not get that message. I didn't use LinReaper.

I just installed Ubuntu with Dream Studio last night and will give that a try to see how well it runs. Will report back if I get that error again.

Thanks,

Omar
SmoothBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
royleith

Default Reaper in Ubuntu

Installing Reaper in Wine in a standard Linux distribution is not a good idea, although it does seem to work pretty well. Use one of the 'Studio' distributions in order to get the 'RT' kernel for lower latency, automatic setup of the priorities and permissions for best performance and a good jack configuration.

To use jack and the low latency kernel you have to have ASIO for Wine or else you will not see the audio and midi ports in Reaper. LinReaper sets a Reaper-only Wine environment into which ASIO for Wine is installed. That avoids any conflicts with your other Wine installations.

jack is reporting 5.8ms latency with a stock Acer Revo sound chip for me using Ubuntu Studio and Reaper seems to work very well. There are some things which are slow like the dragging of the cursor because the Atom processor is no ball of fire. However, it is amazingly good and you soon forget the lowly hardware.

Roy Leith
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
corazon

A new release of Studio1337 is out, with an install script
for 4.33. And newest linux apps.

I always have just run the stock Reaper installer,
without issues, placed in the /home/me partition.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...=699854#699854

http://www.getstudio1337.com

This is a great RT setup.
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
stratotak

Ive tried all those pre-rolled audio distros. Didnt like any of them.They install to much crap I have no need for. I have a perfectly running Linux audio distro using Debian testing.Setting up Debian as a audio workstation Is easy, now that they have a RT kernel. Dont know how long they have had one.It wasnt there last time I was using Debian.

Install Jack.During install it will ask If you want to setup jack to run in realtime. Check yes and thats it.it will add you to security limits.Use synaptic to search for realtime and there is a script named something like
rtirq script.I think. It is a script that sets up your audio devices with higher priority.
Next comes Wine.For this you will need to patch source code with wine RT patch.Then compile. That is also easy.All the details and how too are here..

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph..._on_Linux#Wine

Then its time foe wine Asio. Go to Steinberg site and download Asio SDK. You will have to sign up for a account.
Compile and install.

Then download Festige and compile that.

Go to http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ and add to source list.

Apt-get update and you will have Ardour 3.

I think its not in Debian repos but in multimedia.org.

Download Reaper and install.

It works perfect for me.Very rarely do I get Xruns and If I do its usually when just loading a windows VST.

I use Reaper mainly as a VSTi host sequencer for EzDrummer.
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
Snap

Quote:
Ive tried all those pre-rolled audio distros. Didnt like any of them.They install to much crap I have no need for.
I have to agree. Too much crap. It seems they all want to include it all as a basis. Probably to justify using Jack linking a ton of different apps doing different things... But if you have a main complete and versatile DAW as Reaper is, you won't need most of it. It's basically everything already included. I guess it all derived from the lack of a proper DAW in Linux. Ardour is far from a complete DAW and needs all those side apps to do what Ardour can't by itself. With Reaper you don't need that approach at all.

I think I'll try your suggestion. I'm tired of Audio dedicated distros with truckloads of not needed packages. Better keeping it simple. A good stable OS with a RT kernel, Wine, WineASIO and Reaper... Even Festige can be left away.

PS, and Mixbus will be in.

Last edited by Snap; 10-16-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #9
SmoothBro

I'm running AVLinux 6.01 right now with Reaper installed. So far the best performance I got. No xruns or weird crashes. Seems to run smooth. I tried a lot of the other applications also. My most experience is with Qtractor with some instrument plugins. But that occasionally crashes too. There are a lot of apps on the distro, but I do find it helpful to see all the options that exist under Linux. Occasionally I'll use Hydrogen to put together a quick drum track and export into Qtractor or Reaper.
Problem I have with this is I still don't feel completely confident in Linux as a DAW. I still have my Windows partition where I do all my real audio work. Linux is more experimentation and hoping I can get it stable. But I do enjoy playing with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Snap

The problem of working in Linux for professional audio is not Linux itself. It's the apps. Usually audio dedicated distros run well, fast, responsive, solid and stable. Virtually all of them are real time, light weight and tweaked for audio use with unneeded services disabled, plus commonly featuring light weight easy on resources DEs. I find zero problems with them is this area. I prefer them to windows any time, but... then go the apps. Most of them are single man projects that use to evolve slow, usually far behind the typical windows apps developed buy a dedicated whole team. Think of Reaper, ProTools, Cubase, etc versus... let's say, Ardour, Renoise, Rosegarden... VST and RTAS versus LPSDA or LV2.... A pretty damn limited environment.

Jack is nice. A great concept and I specially love the way KXStudio tools (Cadence, Catia, etc...) link and associate it all. But there is too much so-so and irrelevant stuff in KXStudio, AV Linux or whatever. Gimme a great DAW, a bunch of good plugins and a few good tools andf that's all I need for a dedicated DAW distro. For now, I'll need keep going Windows and Linux with Reaper and Wine... A compromise to get it running eating up too many resources as a start. What I really don't like about KXStudio is Ubuntu, but FalkTX is porting it to Debian. The repos are up, but it's still not complete. Great news!!!

My idea is starting from the stratotak advice with a clean Debian wheezy install and dropping part of KXSstudio from the repos before the current packages get replaced by metapackages, then adding Reaper and Mixbus and that's pretty much it. Let's see how it works.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Andy Hamm

I'm a Debian guy too, but I use Linux for servers. I do have a Wheezy desktop sitting beside me that has recent hardware in it and it's running the gnome desktop, but it's more for evaluation purposes than anything.

I've continually tried and evaluated Linux as a desktop OS, and continually been disappointed with it. With this particular install I spent the better half of one day getting an ATI HD6450 working, that's time I'm never going to get back. It's working and stable now but it's the constant hurdles and hoops that I find myself running through to get things to work in a Linux Desktop Environment that really turns me off of it. When you have configuration or just plain issues on Linux it generally requires much higher levels of technical skill to deal with those issues than it does on a Windows OS based machine. It's a very Geeky OS and that is who it's targeted at - not so much the average desktop end user.

If you have lots of free time to tinker with it, then have at it, but if your time is worth money then throw some money at a more mainstream OS and spend more of your time being productive at things that actually make you money.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Snap

This sounds like my first Linux attempts a few years ago. Linux was still for geeks. It was a kinda hobby running in aged and obsolete computers like most folks did back then. But currently there are quite a lot of user friendly distros ready to go without hassles: SolydXK, Linux Mint, ZevenOS, Linux Lite, PCLinux, etc... Like you I want an OS working right out of the box and being productive since day one. You hardly ever need to launch a terminal and face the CLI if you don't want to. I'm happy and pleased with Linux for a desktop OS Like never before. They doesn't take longer to update, tweak, configure and customize than the big two. I don't miss Mac OS and Win at all. Times are a' changin'
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Boray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
This sounds like my first Linux attempts a few years ago. Linux was still for geeks.
It still is. In my opinion there are just TOO many different distros and they are all just kind of working... Maybe they have missed out on my cpu/motherboard combo or something because all of them crashes or does strange things on my computer. I think they need to collaborate to offer ONE good alternative to Windows, not 25 half working ones.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
It still is.
I have to disagree wholeheartedly: All desktops/laptops in my own company are running Mint KDE without any problems, regardless of what hardware it's on. There are non-geek people there that use it every day without problems as well. Besides that, my servers are virtualized on Proxmox (Debian-based) and are running Xubuntu. All incredibly stable (much more so then you will ever attain with a windows-based setup).

I agree that there are many half-baked distros because everyone who wants it can roll their own. However, for the last year there are several very functional, stable distros available that are keeping pace with developing hardware pretty well.

Yes, you need to know a fair bit of IT to run a company network on linux distros... but so you do as well when using windows in that regard
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Stress

Would it be difficult for someone to make a minimum distro for reaper using debian, say, for live usage? Something that "just works" and has really low latency with minimal bloat(just the necessary tools, utilities, and apps for recording).
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress View Post
Would it be difficult for someone to make a minimum distro for reaper using debian, say, for live usage? Something that "just works" and has really low latency with minimal bloat(just the necessary tools, utilities, and apps for recording).
I use Reaper for Live use and I'm fine with a minimalist version of XP. If Reaper was written for Linux then you would have to make sure that your interfaces were supported, which mine are not as I use MOTU units.

Linux will always be a CLI server OS for me, that's what it's always excelled at and I don't see any shame in that either.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
I have to disagree wholeheartedly: All desktops/laptops in my own company are running Mint KDE without any problems, regardless of what hardware it's on. There are non-geek people there that use it every day without problems as well. Besides that, my servers are virtualized on Proxmox (Debian-based) and are running Xubuntu. All incredibly stable (much more so then you will ever attain with a windows-based setup).

I agree that there are many half-baked distros because everyone who wants it can roll their own. However, for the last year there are several very functional, stable distros available that are keeping pace with developing hardware pretty well.

Yes, you need to know a fair bit of IT to run a company network on linux distros... but so you do as well when using windows in that regard
Same here. Mint KDE is my Desktop. But about to hop to SolydK. I've tried many and this Debian fork is the only non Ubuntu KDE distro that matches Mint in features, performance and stability. There are other great ones based in Debian or not. I bloodly love CrunchBang.

Quote:
Linux will always be a CLI server OS for me
As CLI as MS/DOS. But desktops as good as Win or Mac are currently available in Linux. I agree too many distros out there, but thankfully a nice bunch of them are real alternatives. Just spot and try them.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
Snap

Quote:
AV Linux. But it has tons of apps. Anyway it's very light weight and stable. You can completely run it in the RAM of any so so machine without hassles installed in a flash drive. The drawback is that Reaper is not installed by default so you'll need to remaster the OS.

KXStudio is being ported to Debian Wheezy. It will be ready in a few months, now without an specific DE. It will be KDE available as always, but the intention is leaving the DE or window manager to the user choice if you want it lighter. It has Reaper installed by default with WineASIO ready to go. I'm testing the prereleased Debian packages and I love it.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
technogremlin

Quote:
KXStudio is being ported to Debian Wheezy. It will be ready in a few months, now without an specific DE. It will be KDE available as always, but the intention is leaving the DE or window manager to the user choice if you want it lighter. It has Reaper installed by default with WineASIO ready to go. I'm testing the prereleased Debian packages and I love it.
Oooh, I like that. Is there a way to keep myself updated on the status of that project, like a email list or something?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Snap

No, AFAIK. But you can follow the evolution in the Linux musicians forums and the news in the KX Studio site. The new release of KX Studio (still on Ubuntu 12.4 LTS) is due soon. FalkTX, the guy behind it says that once KXS 3 is out he will be focusing in the Debian release. The packaging Is half done already and release due by the turn of the year.

I'm trying a KXS 3 pre-release (KDE 11) and it's an amazing fast, solid and responsive distro, even for daily desktop use aside of the obvious audio purposes. Way more polished than the previous ones. And in my opinion faster and more agile than Linux Mint 15 KDE or SolydK. Obviously, way faster than the last Kubuntus. Truly Impresive for a KDE distro. I was planning to change from Linux Mint 15 KDE to SolydK for my main desktop one of these weeks because LM 15 will be supported for just one more month or thereabouts and I want to leave anything built over Ubuntu behind... but this new KXS is tempting me hugely even for a desktop with no DAW intentions.

Ubuntu will be still supported. You can install the specific KXS packages on it, but the complete distro release will be on Debian from now on.

One more distro bailing out from Ubuntu and going to Debian... and we'll see more.

Last edited by Snap; 10-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
technogremlin

Quote:
No, AFAIK. But you can follow the evolution in the Linux musicians forums and the news in the KX Studio site. The new release of KX Studio (still on Ubuntu 12.4 LTS) is due soon. FalkTX, the guy behind it says that once KXS 3 is out he will be focusing in the Debian release. The packaging Is half done already and release due by the turn of the year
Thanks for the info. I can wait for the end of the year. My DAW is the only machine I have that is still running windows, and I'm looking for a good distro to move to linux there as well. I have two servers leftover from moving my company to a new virtualization platform, that I like to use for my studio. Will see where this leads
Old 10-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
SmoothBro

Quote:
AV Linux. But it has tons of apps. Anyway it's very light weight and stable. You can completely run it in the RAM of any so so machine without hassles installed in a flash drive. The drawback is that Reaper is not installed by default so you'll need to remaster the OS.

Regarding AV Linux, I tend to remove all the extra apps that I will never use, using Synaptic. Then Remaster the system.

I have Crunchbang on another system and was looking to install KXStudio over it. Did you install all the meta packages, or did you just install what you need? I was looking for certain packages (qtractor) and could not find them, only old versions. Did you have to do any tweaking to your debian system in order to use it for Audio, or did KXStudio do all of that for you?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
bbarton11

I gave up on experimenting with using Reaper on Linux. I just could never get it to work correctly for me. Ardour is ok but I prefer Reaper's workflow. Went back to Windows 7 for Reaper usage plus all my virtual instruments work on it.
bbarton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #24
SmoothBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarton11 View Post
I gave up on experimenting with using Reaper on Linux. I just could never get it to work correctly for me. Ardour is ok but I prefer Reaper's workflow. Went back to Windows 7 for Reaper usage plus all my virtual instruments work on it.
I'm curious to know what issues you were having with Reaper on Linux. Was it too many xruns, or maybe crashes. I never had a Reaper crash, but xruns were a problem for me. sometimes some slow downs or distortion on the track while playing.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #25
Snap

Quote:
I have Crunchbang on another system and was looking to install KXStudio over it. Did you install all the meta packages, or did you just install what you need? I was looking for certain packages (qtractor) and could not find them, only old versions. Did you have to do any tweaking to your debian system in order to use it for Audio, or did KXStudio do all of that for you?
The Debian packages are not ready yet and the metas don't work. I just intalled it on a virtual machine with some packages that happened to work for the joy of see it running, but it's only part of KXStudio. Better wait for the final release.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBro View Post
I'm curious to know what issues you were having with Reaper on Linux. Was it too many xruns, or maybe crashes. I never had a Reaper crash, but xruns were a problem for me. sometimes some slow downs or distortion on the track while playing.
On my side I've never seen Reaper running better than installing it with PlayOnLinux. I've tried all the methods I could find (even LinReaper a few times) and nothing works better. I know that many folks don't like to have anything in-between Wine and the apps, but in my experince this is pretty well patched. As usual some plugins don't work at all, some work awkwardly and some have broken GUIs, but most of them work just fine. The only crashes I have are due to plugins. Regarding Xruns when working in real time, sometimes happen and sometimes don't. I still don't get so well what causes Xruns when they happen.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #27
bbarton11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBro View Post
For me, I just couldn't get the whole "compile the asio.h" deal to work. I tried a Linux distro with Reaper in it and it kind of worked - my M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra 8R didn't seem to function correctly in it. That plus my virtual machines that I live off of didn't work.

It came down to did I feel like messing around in Linux to get some functionality or go Windows where everything works as expected.
bbarton11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #28
stratotak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
I use Reaper for Live use and I'm fine with a minimalist version of XP. If Reaper was written for Linux then you would have to make sure that your interfaces were supported, which mine are not as I use MOTU units.

Linux will always be a CLI server OS for me, that's what it's always excelled at and I don't see any shame in that either.
Yes and maybe no.Depends on the person.It will require some basic compiling of software.Nothing complicated. Main 3 commands you will need to use are .configure,make,make install.If you have never compiled software under linux it might seem intimidating at first but it's not that hard.

Here's how I setup Debian to install.

First CD install or network install?.If you have a decent network connection Id use network.If not obtain CD's .I have never installed from CD's.I think there are 7 If im correct.You dont need all 7 I think 1&2 and maybe 3 are all, the others contain source code. Id use wired versus wireless.Easier to do a network install wired.For wireless install you will have to google that as I always do a Wired install.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

I then download the network iso.Two to choose.One is like 120-150 megs the other is around 20 megs.One has the basic system on disc and downloads the rest the other,the 20 meg one ,has just enough to get connected to Debian repo to download everything.Benefits of the 20 meg mini iso obviously its 20 megs and you download everything so you right out the box get the latest basic system.

Next choice is are you going to dual boot.More than one OS.If Debian will be only OS your set to install.If you plane on installing it beside Windows youll need to reparation hard drive and create some space for OS. Gparted has a live cd for this.Youll need to resize your windows partition and free up some space for linux.Id recommend under windows clean disc and defragment drive first.

http://gparted.org/livecd.php

So with the basics taken care of your ready to install.

I choose expert install.If you just install by default install is setup to install a full Gnome working environment. Complete with Office suite and printing and ..Well you get the point.

Expert install implies you have to be some Linux expert but not so.It just asks you more questions.If your doing a install and your USA most of the choices at first are correct by default.Keyboard layout,languages.Stuff like that. Youll get to a point where it will ask you which version.Stable,testing,Sid.Choose testing.Other question are which kernel version,They will have a RT kernel so choose that.Also a question about do you want to install non free software so choose yes for that.That just adds non-free and Contrib to your source list.Other wise you would have to add that later.
The rest is pretty much the same as regular install.
After partioning disc and doing basic system install it will then bring up a section for which software you want to install.Stuff like printing,mail,laptop.
All you need to have checked is for a desktop PC Is just standard and for laptop also check laptop.Leave everything else unchecked,If you leave the top one checked .I dont remember what it is called but it is the top one.It will be checked by default.If you leave it checked it will install a full blown version of Gnome and all the apps that you dont need.The whole reason for choosing network install was to avoid that.
After It downloads and installs the base system it will install grub.A boot loader.If you have windows installed it will detect that and add it to your boot loader.Time to reboot.Take disc out you will not be needing it anymore.
Reboot.

When you reboot into your basic linux system you will be like "WTF". Its just command prompt.Black screen with some words.Thats because we just installed a base system we need to install the rest.A working enviroment. Log into your account you created.From there enter "su" for super user.
You will have root privelages and be able to install base system.
You can choose Gnome,KDE,XFCE,LXDE.
I personally find XFCE my favorite.So I will install XFCE with SLIM as login manager.And synaptic,its a software manager.
So thats simple.I would type...
"apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies slim synaptic"

After a bit depending on download speed It will be done downloading.Reboot and you will be presented with login manager,SLIM.

Next is simple to get audio apps installed.Launch synaptic install ardour3,QjackCTL. At install jack will ask If you want realtime ,check yes.Thats it you will have a basic Linux OS setup for audio.
Then comes to compiling software.Since Wine is really the only major software you will be compiling.You can get most of the build tools and libraries by running this command.
"apt-get build-dep wine"
That will download almost all of what you need to compile wine.After patching wine source code with RT patch compile wine. Just type "./configure" It will tell you If you are missing anything and then you can search for it in synaptic and install the dev package for it.Then rerun ./configure to make sure.
Stuff like how to compile wine and patch it and wine asio question i referenced in previous post.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...22#post1261922

The rest of the questions you will most surely have can be answered as they come up.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #29
stratotak

My mistake I replied to quote from wrong person .

Was replying to

Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
darrel_jw

Default Problem running Pro X-tools v2.x

I have Reaper running under wine 1.7 in Linux Mint 17 with KXStudio, and it does pretty well. I have been using Albert's Pro X-tools version 1.3 theme and it plays very well. Then I install his version 2.x series - and as soon as I select it Reaper crashes and dies. No one in the themes forum has been able to help, so I was hoping someone here may have some information? My laptop is an HP quad-core with 8 GB of ram and a lot of drive space.

Darrel
darrel_jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #31
Nystagmus

Default Linux DAW Optimization needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrel_jw View Post
I have Reaper running under wine 1.7 in Linux Mint 17 with KXStudio, and it does pretty well. I have been using Albert's Pro X-tools version 1.3 theme and it plays very well. Then I install his version 2.x series - and as soon as I select it Reaper crashes and dies. No one in the themes forum has been able to help, so I was hoping someone here may have some information? My laptop is an HP quad-core with 8 GB of ram and a lot of drive space.

Darrel
Please do a forum search of posts by me relating to Linux (perhaps a keyword search for "Nystagmus" and "Linux". Somewhere in my posts I've mentioned everything I did to improve my Ubuntu Studio v14.04 LTS Linux DAW stability and performance. I use REAPER and FL Studio and several VST's and VSTi's without problems.

Also do a web search engine keyword search using the same terms to find posts by me on the internet at other forums. https://ixquick.com is a good private yet effective search engine to use. It's better than Google these days.

I think there are some additional DAW optimizations and tweaks you could do to bring down the CPU burden. Also, there are some specific Reaper settings which make a huge difference with improvements.

In my experiences, PulseAudio with WASAPI within Reaper is more stable on Wine than JACK and WineASIO with ASIO within Reaper. Strange, but true.

Also, be sure you have the most up to date version of Reaper installed, since they've recently fixed some of these Reaper audio system call design flaws.

While I'm thinking of it, something that isn't well documented anywhere I've seen is that you should also reformat your hard drive's SWAP partition to just be a primary swap partition and not a logical swap partition inside of a primary partition like the Ubuntu installer does by default. I think it does this for privacy-enhancing reasons, but it probably makes the swap area slower.

Also, if you are doing a fresh install of Linux, there is an old bug in gParted that doesn't properly do partition hard drive alignment for the first partition on the drive. So instead of using the default of a 1 MB preceding free space with drive alignment, the fix is to manually enter in 2 MB instead.

It's possible to resize the partition without data loss to get the same results, but it's very labor intensive and takes an extremely long time and is risky. But I recently did it, and it did noticeably speed up my hard drive.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, be sure to read up on how to disable unneeded auto-starting services in Linux such as printers, network managers, samba, bluetooth, and anything else that you might not need at all. Also, on my system, things got more stable and boot time got a lot faster when i disabled ACPI within the computer BIOS as well as within Linux.

Sorry I don't yet have the complete details, but hopefully this points you in the right direction.

P.S.-Contact the Wine website and let the developers know about your theme crash because Wine has some known design flaws and bugs and some recent bugfixes related to screen graphics and GUI's and such.

I found that I got fewer issues in Reaper when I set the master VU meter to only display peak meters. And I set the RMS meter to be much larger/slower to reduce CPU use for when I turn it on temporarily.

And while I'm thinking of it, disable any unneeded soundcard inputs within Reaper for a huge boost. And set the peakfiles to be stored within RAM instead of on the hard drive.

Good luck. I will be posting the specific details online in a tutorial form within the next weeks/months so it's easier for others to get where I am on my DAW.

A quick significant suggestion is to enact ALL of the exact types of Windows DAW optimizations on Linux using the Linux equivalents. For example, "noatime" (disable filesystem access time logging), etc.

Peace.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #32
bazsound

Linux has come on leaps and bounds.

ive been using if for the past 6 years full time. The issue is always going to be with hardware.

anyone running the latest hardware is usually going to run into issues as manufacters dont want to release there source code.

The key is using hardware that is known to work.

however i made the switch back to windows as i was tired of waiting on plugins.

theres so many great plugins on mac and windows which i dont think will evver be releaswed for linux .
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
Nystagmus

Default update about linux and reaper

Update: since last time...

I'm running Reaper (v4.78) on Wine (v1.7.44) in Ubuntu Studio (v14.04.3) and this time around I am able to use ALSA istead of fussing with Jack or PulseAudio. Everything is fine. I'm making music without issues using VST and VSTi plugins. Once you get a working system, stick with it.

I still did all the other tweaks, but chose system defaults instead of PulseAudio in the Wine audio preferences. I find Reaper to be more stable that way.

Anyways, the important thing to know is that the Image-Line VSTi plugins tend to work OK in wine, and so do tons of freeware VST instruments and effects. You don't need to wait for them to be released as Linux plugins, or wait for the installers to be released for Linux.

And it is also true that some hardware is going to be easier. But if it's USB Class Compliant, then you won't need to fuss with driver installation. It just works out of the box.

Also, you don't absolutely have to install the KXstudio repos if you run Ubuntu Studio, but you might want to if you want specific extras.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #34
digitalscream

Well now...I must say, I'm incredibly impressed. I've been using Reaper for two or three years now, and I've never bothered trying to get it working on my main desktop (Ubuntu, for work reasons) because of interface (in)compatibility issues.

Just got myself a TC Impact Twin, and figured that with the DICE chip, it might be worth...well, a roll of the dice.

Blow me down, it actually works! I broke the rules and installed Reaper x64 straight into WINE, with ASIO through jackd (I really had no idea what I was doing). End result? 2.9ms latency, all my plugins working (including Addictive Drums, which shocked me a bit) and to top it off I've got my Behringer ADA8000 running perfectly - although I had to attach the Twin to Windows to configure it properly.

Oh, and the UI works much more smoothly in Ubuntu than it does in Windows. That's bizarre.

The only thing I can't get working is the x86 VST bridge, which is a shame 'cos it means that I can't use the TC plugins. Not the end of the world, though.

tl;dr - nice one, Cockos, you've really done a stellar job here
digitalscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #35
Nystagmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post
Well now...I must say, I'm incredibly impressed. I've been using Reaper for two or three years now, and I've never bothered trying to get it working on my main desktop (Ubuntu, for work reasons) because of interface (in)compatibility issues.

Just got myself a TC Impact Twin, and figured that with the DICE chip, it might be worth...well, a roll of the dice.

Blow me down, it actually works! I broke the rules and installed Reaper x64 straight into WINE, with ASIO through jackd (I really had no idea what I was doing). End result? 2.9ms latency, all my plugins working (including Addictive Drums, which shocked me a bit) and to top it off I've got my Behringer ADA8000 running perfectly - although I had to attach the Twin to Windows to configure it properly.

Oh, and the UI works much more smoothly in Ubuntu than it does in Windows. That's bizarre.

The only thing I can't get working is the x86 VST bridge, which is a shame 'cos it means that I can't use the TC plugins. Not the end of the world, though.

tl;dr - nice one, Cockos, you've really done a stellar job here
Congratulations!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #36
Taika-Kim

Hmm, on my computer Impact Twin does not work. I managed to get Jack start a few times, but these days I just get a pile of errors.

It does work if I select ALSA as the driver in Qjackctl, but not if I choose Firewire.

So I can use Renoise for example, but Bitwig Studio does not make sound.

How is your process and settings for starting Jack?
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote