Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
DANIELE
Human being with feelings

Default Backup everything in Reaper for formatting

Hi all,

I have to build a completely new PC, so I have to install Windows on this new machine and I have to install again all my programs.

One of them is Reaper.

How can I backup everything to have the same configuration on the new PC?

I now about REAPER user folder, is there something else I have to do?

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELE View Post
Hi all,

I have to build a completely new PC, so I have to install Windows on this new machine and I have to install again all my programs.

One of them is Reaper.

How can I backup everything to have the same configuration on the new PC?

I now about REAPER user folder, is there something else I have to do?

Thank you.
Hi Daniele, have you saved your Reaper configuration using "Preferences>General>Export configuration". I think that's the quickest and most complete way to save your Reaper configuration.

Don't know about the rest, you've got a daunting task ahead of you, but I'm sure you're going to love it when you get it all done.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
johney

Just did this, so three tips

-Save your config as Tod said, you can choose what exactly tou want to back up, i personally checked everything
-Back up your plugins. I'm using freeware mostly so for 80% it was just simple C+P from backup, but for paid ones you'll need to install/activate them. Make sure you have all the license files etc.
-Place your samples/projects folders in same paths as before to avoid having to search for missing files (redundant if you use copy media to project directory option)
johney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi Daniele, have you saved your Reaper configuration using "Preferences>General>Export configuration". I think that's the quickest and most complete way to save your Reaper configuration.

Don't know about the rest, you've got a daunting task ahead of you, but I'm sure you're going to love it when you get it all done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johney View Post
Just did this, so three tips

-Save your config as Tod said, you can choose what exactly tou want to back up, i personally checked everything
-Back up your plugins. I'm using freeware mostly so for 80% it was just simple C+P from backup, but for paid ones you'll need to install/activate them. Make sure you have all the license files etc.
-Place your samples/projects folders in same paths as before to avoid having to search for missing files (redundant if you use copy media to project directory option)

Thank you for your advices.

I usually backup the REAPER folder, I didn't think about using reaper option.

I have to backup a very big amount of configurations.

@Tod I hope to enjoy the new machine but firstly I'll have to do a huge work to assemble it, test it and in the end re-install everything, I'm a bit scared... (it's not the first time anyway, but this time I have to change everything).

@johney
Is there a way to save the custom FX folders I made? I know I have to reinstall or c-p the plugins but I would to have the same structure of folder already made.

And...

Is there a way to backup a list of all the FX installed to remember me every FX I installed?

Last edited by DANIELE; 07-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.
DANIELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
mschnell

Beware that 3rd Party plugins (such as Kontakt) might use their own configuration file locations.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Beware that 3rd Party plugins (such as Kontakt) might use their own configuration file locations.

-Michael
Yes, I know it.

In fact for kontact I have already planned the backup (folders and registry).
Old 07-25-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
solger

Quote:
I usually backup the REAPER folder, I didn't think about using reaper option.
Yeah, exporting the configuration via the Preferences is basically the same as making a backup of the .ini files in the Reaper resource folder.
But it's always a good strategy in general to have multiple backups (like a backup of the Reaper resource folder + exported config file)

Quote:
Is there a way to save the custom FX folders I made? I know I have to reinstall or c-p the plugins but I would to have the same structure of folder already made.
This info is usually stored in the reaper-fxfolders.ini file in the Reaper resource folder. So using the same fxfolders.ini-file in a new/different Reaper install should be enough.

Quote:
Is there a way to backup a list of all the FX installed to remember me every FX I installed?
You can find an overview of the plugins used in Reaper in the reaper-vstplugins ini-files (in the resource folder) ...

If you are talking about all installs on Windows, the following things come to mind:

- Making screenshots of all the entries in Windows Programs and Features
- Generating a list of the installed software: https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-i...-list-windows/
- Making your own spreadsheet or document where you can add/manage entries manually

Last edited by solger; 07-25-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
johney

Quote:
@johney

And...

The FX folders are included in the configuration backup (reaper-fxfolders.ini file in your user directory)

As for the list, probably the quickest way is taking a screenshot, but there is a list called reaper-vstplugins64.ini in your user directory, might need some filtering for easy reading first
johney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yeah, exporting the configuration via the Preferences is basically the same as making a backup of the .ini files in the Reaper resource folder.
But it's always a good strategy in general to have multiple backups (like a backup of the Reaper resource folder + exported config file)

This info is usually stored in the reaper-fxfolders.ini file in the Reaper resource folder. So using the same fxfolders.ini-file in a new/different Reaper install should be enough.

You can find an overview of the plugins used in Reaper in the reaper-vstplugins ini-files (in the resource folder) ...

If you are talking about all installs on Windows, the following things come to mind:

- Making screenshots of all the entries in Windows Programs and Features
- Generating a list of the installed software: https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-i...-list-windows/
- Making your own spreadsheet or document where you can add/manage entries manually
Quote:
Originally Posted by johney View Post
The FX folders are included in the configuration backup (reaper-fxfolders.ini file in your user directory)

As for the list, probably the quickest way is taking a screenshot, but there is a list called reaper-vstplugins64.ini in your user directory, might need some filtering for easy reading first
Thanks again for your advices, I'll check it out and let you know (especially for folders and FX list).

I'm already using a spreadsheet to manage all the actions I have to do and I've already generated a list for the actually installed programs (I used CCleaner).
Old 07-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #10
hopi

just a thought for 'next time'...

IF you install reaper as portable, then everything goes into your own named folder... such as "Reaper on C"

then you can run reaper and do the save configuration, checking all the boxes...

Then you can simply copy that entire folder to a USB stick or to a DVD disc and later copy it back to you new PC or anywhere else...

it will have all your FX Chains, menu sets, whatever....

just run it and run the saved configuration.zip
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
DANIELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
just a thought for 'next time'...

IF you install reaper as portable, then everything goes into your own named folder... such as "Reaper on C"

then you can run reaper and do the save configuration, checking all the boxes...

Then you can simply copy that entire folder to a USB stick or to a DVD disc and later copy it back to you new PC or anywhere else...

it will have all your FX Chains, menu sets, whatever....

just run it and run the saved configuration.zip
Thank you, I'll think about this.

What I would like to know is what are the advantages and disadvantages of a portable version.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
What I would like to know is what are the advantages and disadvantages of a portable version.
As hopi already mentioned: a portable install puts all application + resource files in one folder (which you can easily backup in one go).

So you can have multiple portable installs (even with the same Reaper version) side-by-side in their own folders without affecting each other. This is especially useful if you want to test out different configs or play around with new features of an update version without messing up a different working install.

Basically the only things not available by default in a portable install are ReWire and the ReaRouteASIO driver (for routing Audio/MIDI between applications).
But one workaround in this case is making a portable install first (so that all files are in one folder). And then making a normal install over the same portable install folder location with these features checked for installation ...

Last edited by solger; 07-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Yeah, all I use are portable installs, and I've actually got 5 different portable installs.

Install #1, is my main one which I keep fairly up to date with the pre-releases. Installs #2, #3, and #4 are just different versions that I use to check out problems. The 5th install is one I keep with all defaults and it has none of my customizations.

I also like having everything in just the one folder.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #14
DANIELE

I like portable installations too but in this case I had thought that it somehow could slow down or create some problems with heavy project on Reaper.
But really I don't know why I didn't do it with Reaper.

I use a portable install sometimes to test something.

How it works for updates? Every time do I have to reinstall the new version as a portable version on the right folder?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
solger

Quote:
How it works for updates? Every time do I have to reinstall the new version as a portable version on the right folder?
Exactly. When re-installing or installing a newer Reaper version, select the portable option (again) and point to the right folder location
Old 07-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
I like portable installations too but in this case I had thought that it somehow could slow down or create some problems with heavy project on Reaper.
But really I don't know why I didn't do it with Reaper.

I use a portable install sometimes to test something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Exactly. When re-installing or installing a newer Reaper version, select the portable option (again) and point to the right folder location
Right, I've got 5 folders in C:/Program Files just for this, I don't delete them I just leave them for updating as needed.