Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
semikid
Human being with feelings

Default Resonating A440 note in my somewhat acoustically treated room. (I made my own panels)

I have an annoying A440 resonance in my room. I made panels out of this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roxul-Saf...1525/202531875

They seem to work great, and I have them in every corner of my room, the first early reflection points (left and right of my ears roughly), a few behind my monitors and a few behind my head.

I also have a few extra lying around. Any quick easy suggestions to fix this? My room dimensions: 13'0" x 15'-3"
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
jrk

Bang on 440? That's a heck of a coincidence. And rather high for a troublesome room mode? Are you sure? Have you measured the room? I don't mean with a tape measure :-) But while we're on the subject - how high is it?
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
semikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Bang on 440? That's a heck of a coincidence. And rather high for a troublesome room mode? Are you sure? Have you measured the room? I don't mean with a tape measure :-) But while we're on the subject - how high is it?
Whenever I sing at A440 i hear a resonance. So whatever that means, it's coming from a corner mostly. I haven't acoustically measured. But the height you are talking about the tape measure height right? 98in.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
jrk

If you've got the resonance localised to one corner, then you could try to put more absorption there. If your panels are spanning the corner - double the thickness - add absorption to the wall and ceiling surfaces adjacent to the corner (and perhaps the opposite corner?)

But BEFORE you do that - see if there's some thing (other than the room itself) resonating - a section of drywall? A shelf? The floor? Send 440hz through your monitors and explore (with your ears, or a mic / meter) Lightly touch some surfaces and feel for vibration (not easy at 440)

You could try changing the position you sing at. a few inches might make a big difference.

It's not easy to pinpoint a resonance by singing - you sing 440, you will be exciting your various vocal tract resonances (some much lower) and these will couple with room modes.

It's definitely worth measuring the room acoustically- something like REW https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ can be useful. If you've got a resonance you should be able to see it clearly - without having to sing at the same time :-)
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
semikid

Thank you for the help!

Guess what!? It was my acoustic guitar! Da faq?

Kept singing a440 one day and spent a half and hour being crazy. Waited a few days with a clear head and viola, I figured it out instantly haha
Old 07-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
ivansc

viola has 4 strings - fat violin.
voila is french for "there ya go!"

Was highly amused - you Americans never have really "got" french, have you?

P.S. AND you lot cant spell colour and many other everyday english words...

I`ll get my coat....

OOPS! Forgot to say well done for figuring it out - saved you a lot of $$ and frustration, eh?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by semikid View Post
Guess what!? It was my acoustic guitar! Da faq?
Ha! Glad you found it. Well done for posting the "solution". This will probably save someone else a lot of time in future.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Nah, it was his viola playing a duet with his guitar!

(The voila/viola thing always jumps out at me too. And I don't even speak French!)

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
semikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

Was highly amused - you Americans never have really "got" french, have you?

P.S. AND you lot cant spell colour and many other everyday english words...

I`ll get my coat....

OOPS! Forgot to say well done for figuring it out - saved you a lot of $$ and frustration, eh?
haha! It was a typing error! All we have is french fries haha the color one bothers me too, because everyone else spells it as colour! Also we are the only ones who don't use the metric system... I question the US too! xD
Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
semikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Ha! Glad you found it. Well done for posting the "solution". This will probably save someone else a lot of time in future.
haha lets hope by chance they stumble on this thread.
I've come to realize most of us need to troubleshoot ourselves and become better and better through fixing many different problems over the years.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #11
clepsydrae

If you ever worked in an acoustic stringed instrument store you'd be well accustomed to this phenomenon. :-) Every noise that is made echoes through the store on all the instruments. Especially when you're tuning one of them.

A pot that used to hang in my kitchen vibrated right at my vocal fundamental. Drove me crazy. And the air chamber of a small tea pot used to resonate freakishly whenever anyone spoke. Took a good while to track that one down.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
hamish

Yeah it's a sad day when you realize you can't hang all your acoustic instruments around the walls of your studio. I really clicked the thread because I'm looking up treatment materials at the moment. I kind of guessed how it would end. Room mode problems at 440Hz are not too common :0
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #13
clepsydrae

On the other hand, it's not too hard to damp the strings with something where they hang...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #14
hamish

That might depend on how loud you're monitoring at. I often crank things right up, and I've found I need to keep all acoustic instruments in cases.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
semikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
On the other hand, it's not too hard to damp the strings with something where they hang...
For me it was actually the sound hole! I tried dampening the strings, no luck. Had to put it in a case. :/
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 AM   #16
jrk

Case. That's where your guitar sleeps. Not on a stand, because you *will* kick it over. Wall hanging is for pictures.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #17
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by semikid View Post
haha! It was a typing error! All we have is french fries haha the color one bothers me too, because everyone else spells it as colour! Also we are the only ones who don't use the metric system... I question the US too! xD
I used to buy 8x4 sheets of 19mm plywood at Home Depot back in the day, so I guess you are sorta metrique rather than fully metric.

Bit like spelling metre wrong as well...